PDA

View Full Version : Changes to TV Guide with 1.7.15

Sailor
04-08-09, 14:23
Have I missed something or have others noticed that F/W 1.7.15 now uses the "embedded" TV guide received with the DTV signal. Previously (here in Australia at least) the only guide available was downloaded as a file from the internet using the IceTV subscription service. The new method responds much more quickly but has the disadvantage that each channel has to be viewed for a small time before the Guide is available for that channel. Overall though, it's an improvement.

Hi-Jack
04-08-09, 17:06
DVB-T always sends EPG data along but not always is used... I have no idea if this is new or only a "fix" for Australia... I'm in one of those wonderfull countries were a poor 2 channels are available that never broadcast anything good anyway :-)

ip
05-08-09, 00:41
DVB-T always sends EPG data along but not always is used... I have no idea if this is new or only a "fix" for Australia... I'm in one of those wonderfull countries were a poor 2 channels are available that never broadcast anything good anyway :-)
Ah, Elbonia! :)

roddox
05-08-09, 15:00
aussie tvix user here. I've always had a limited 'embedded' epg that shows up when you press guide on the remote. It only shows the program titles and scheduled times though. I remember reading somewhere that The new 1.7.xx beta firmware expands the timespan on the guide from a couple of days to up to a week but otherwise it's the same. The iceTV option was available to me as an option on 1.4.52 but I never selected it, not being an iceTV subscriber..

Is this what you mean or is there something new? I understand that more data is actually embedded in the transmission (like program summaries)...would be nice if it was implemented.

Sailor
05-08-09, 16:47
Dvico added "Guide" support in the firmware (talking TViX 5130 here) after Version 1.3.17 but it was only for the subscription IceTV web service, not the 'normal' embedded guide from the DVB-T signal. The implementation was very limited too; no access to "info" etc, but at least the recordings had the program name on them.
IceTV gradually extended their guide to a week after the channels started making the scheduling available (channel 9 were being particularly difficult in that regard - extended litigation versus IceTV which eventually effectively went IceTV's way).
Roddox says the "normal guide" has been available since 1.4.52, so I guess I just never got around to looking at the Guide options in the firmware upgrades after 1.3.17. Probably the default Guide set in the firmware has been left as per user "settings" until this 1.7.15 upgrade.

Think I may have wasted some subscription dollars here - that'll teach me to watch too much TV!!

roddox
06-08-09, 02:45
Roddox says the "normal guide" has been available since 1.4.52

Well, at least 1.4.52 anyway, that's as far back as I can accurately remember.

btw, all aussie Tvix users, don't forget to rescan your dtv channels this sunday when that new channel, GO TV, comes online!