PDA

View Full Version : Iamm Novatron ntd 38 help

cbrandon
28-09-09, 15:44
Hi guys really need some help please.
I have the NTD38 - firmware :romfs-novatron-europe-38-11-1-1-1-135
I have a number of MKV files which do not play audio via the unit.
I see that it only plays DTS PASSTHROUGH which I enabled in the setup from downmix.
Still no luck.
I am playing it on 2 channel sound as it is going straight to the TV - plasma
Plays the video perfectly but no audio at all.
I have tried HDMI / YBP - with white and red audio - nothing.
here is a spec of the file:

Format : Matroska
File size : 4.37 GiB
Duration : 1h 47mn
Overall bit rate : 5 806 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2008-09-12 16:59:11
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@3.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 4 181 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 4 294 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.258
Stream size : 3.15 GiB (72%)
Writing library : x264 core 61 r957 7ce0f2c
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 /
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Stream size : 1.14 GiB (26%)
Language : English

Hi-Jack
28-09-09, 19:05
To start, changing video output will not help you concerning playback of sound. If connected directly to TV, your TV cannot handle DTS almost certainly so the option should be dts downmix and not passthrough. Passthough is used to pass on the audio to capable devices that can decode it and press it.

Are you sure the IAMM NTD38HD can decode and downmix DTS?

cbrandon
28-09-09, 21:57
I know it has 2 options pass through and downmix - neither play the audio

Hi-Jack
29-09-09, 05:17
It is very likely downmix will only output over the optical / spdif / stereo and not over HDMI. Did you try that? The player must be set to DTS downmix (not pass through).
Try connecting th ehDMI for video and something else for the audio, set it to downmix and check setup option like "HDMI SOUND On/Off" and turn it off.

(I hope you do mean "no" DTS plays on your unit in any files as if there are some who do and others who don't, there a different problem, possibly the files). There's really nothing much else one can try... It's either the player who does not support it or your settings are wrong... I don't have the player to see any of it...

cbrandon
29-09-09, 06:49
It is very likely downmix will only output over the optical / spdif / stereo and not over HDMI. Did you try that? The player must be set to DTS downmix (not pass through).
Try connecting th ehDMI for video and something else for the audio, set it to downmix and check setup option like "HDMI SOUND On/Off" and turn it off.

(I hope you do mean "no" DTS plays on your unit in any files as if there are some who do and others who don't, there a different problem, possibly the files). There's really nothing much else one can try... It's either the player who does not support it or your settings are wrong... I don't have the player to see any of it...I think what I have figured out is I cant play DTS - I need to make it AC3 - how would one do this? Transcode

Hi-Jack
29-09-09, 17:46
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic323554.html
Videohelp.com is a very excellent site for all your encoding needsa dn questions :-)

cbrandon
29-09-09, 19:34
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic323554.html
Videohelp.com is a very excellent site for all your encoding needsa dn questions :-)

Awesome thanks :)

sibklyn
10-11-09, 01:17
I have one Novatron ntd 38 and had the same problem. DTS goes through optical conection only, not HDMI. You need therefore an amplifier with optical input. You can convert the DTS audio to AC3 using this simple and automatic program I use everytime and no problems up to now.

EZmkvDTStoAC3 Batch Converter.

you can e-mail me at bklyn@mundivia.es if you encounter more problems with the ntd 38.