PDA

View Full Version : UNFS user-space NFS server: finally right speeds for streaming heavy bitrated movies?

rudku
12-10-09, 11:42
Very interesting theme - how we can increase transfer speeds between NAS and mediaplayers:
UNFS3 is a user-space implementation of the NFSv3 server specification. It provides a unified mountd and nfsd program and so far runs under Linux, NetBSD, and Solaris.
The guy Sparkss detailed described, how itīs possible implement UNFS on QNAP NAS via ipkg packages, in this thread on QNAP forum:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=777

According his tests:
SMB : 9.6 MB/s
NFS (native QNAP) : 8.8 MB/s
UNFS (ipkg) : 16 MB/s

Something more about UNFS:
http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/

My entrance:
I have successfully installed UNFS on my QNAP NAS.
Itīs working with these mediaplayers: TviX M6500-A, HDi Dune Prime 1.0 and HD satellite receiver Dreambox DM800 too.
I donīt have a more time for deep testing.
I donīt know, how I can measure the transfer speeds on mediaplayes side (and then compare UNFS with native NSF from QNAP).

Hi-Jack
12-10-09, 14:07
Sounds interesting indeed but it would be great to understand more what it does... In my case having QNAP 809Pro, I don't have any issues streaming to any player (usually the player is the weaker and least performant part) so I wonder what the benefit is of installing this in addition of the default NFS on a server whan it cannot be applied on the media player...

Now is that a smart questions to ask or what?
(Bad habit of mine as a reviewer to challenge everything)

Malignant
12-10-09, 14:08
Looks very promising.

Only thing is, can somebody explain to me in normal english ( or dutch ) how to get this running on my qnap.

My linux knowledge is crap, and by browsing the posts on the qnap forum it didn't get any clearer for me.

Downloaded the packed file as well, but i don't know what to do with it.

I can upgrade my Qnap firmware and install some QPG's and thats that.

Perfomance increase on NFS would be very welcome since i'm stuck on 8.5Mbps on Cat6E gbit

rudku
12-10-09, 17:36
Short guide How install UNFS on QNAP NAS

1. Get the QPKG "Optware IPKG" and install via web ui of NAS, activate.

2. Use a tool like putty or winscp to connect to your TS by ssh (enable ssh access in the web ui) and login with user admin

3. Code: ipkg update

4. Code: ipkg install unfs3

5. Backup file /etc/ from NAS to computer

6. Edit exports file
Example of original exports:
"/share/HDB_DATA/Public" 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDC_DATA/Public" *(ro,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Menu" 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Public" *(ro,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDD_DATA/Qusb" *(ro,async,no_root_squash)

Example of edited exports:
/share/HDB_DATA/Public 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDC_DATA/Public 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDA_DATA/Menu 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDA_DATA/Public 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
/share/external/sdz1 192.168.40.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
(Delete all characters “ and *)

7. Store modified exports file to folder /opt/etc/

8. Edit start script of UNFS file /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
Example of original S56unfsd:
# cat /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

if [ -n "`pidof unfsd`" ] ; then
killall unfsd 2>/dev/null
fi

sleep 2
/opt/sbin/unfsd

Example of modified S56unfsd:
/opt/sbin/unfsd
[/share/HDA_DATA/tmp] # cat /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/opt/sbin/unfsd
/opt/sbin/unfsd -e /share/MD0_DATA/opt/etc/exports

9. Switch off native QNAP NFS service – via administration GUI.

10. start up the unfs daemon by running
Code: portmap
Code: /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

11. run showmount -e to verify that it is running and exporting your mounts as expected.

13. Go to your client machine and connect

14. Enoy

Notes:
1) For command showmount you must have installed nfs-utils ipkg
2) full path on client side for shared folder is required
example on Tvix mapping in native QNAP NFS “Media”
example on Tvix mapping in UNFS "/share/MD0_DATA/Media"

For detailed info please look here:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=777&start=20

Sparkss
12-10-09, 23:05
Sounds interesting indeed but it would be great to understand more what it does... In my case having QNAP 809Pro, I don't have any issues streaming to any player (usually the player is the weaker and least performant part) so I wonder what the benefit is of installing this in addition of the default NFS on a server whan it cannot be applied on the media player...

Now is that a smart questions to ask or what?
(Bad habit of mine as a reviewer to challenge everything)

HJ, I am the same Sparkss on the QNAP forum. The main difference and advantages are this :

1. UNFS is more configurable than the builtin NFS. You cannot setup a standing mount of the external devices. You can add one after it is mounted, but you cannot have one be auto-shared after it is mounted. You can w/ UNFS

2. I have noticed a significant speed advantage for UNFS over the builtin NFS. I can only attribute that to the way they have it configured within the kernel, but I don't know for sure.

3. UNFS will follow and share links where I was not able to get it to work with the builtin KNFS (or any other KNFSDs that I have tried). There is a documented "overlap" of functionality between UNFS and Kernel NFS (KNFS), but aside from knowing there are differences I don't know exactly what falls in or out of that overlap.

I do know that the speed of the built in is sufficient to stream even BDs but I have noticed an improvement in response and stability since increasing our throughput. But that is purely anecdotal (the stability comment, not the speed one :)).

The ability to follow links is a specific need for how we have our NAS setup. And as such it differs greatly from anyone else's setup, I am sure. I have all of our drives setup as individual volumes. I organize media types by drive. This has several advantages for how we use our NAS and also helps a little with power consumption and drive spin up time. I use a single NFS mount as a "portal" to all of our content and link the "Menu" directories to the content on the other drives. This works fine w/ SMB and UNFS, but does not w/ KNFS. Since I want the speed from UNFS I prefer that over SMB (and for funtionality over KNFS). This has a noticeable impact on bringing up icons for a large directory, albeit not an overly significant one (differs in seconds, not minutes).

Those are the reasons I travelled down the path of getting UNFS installed and working on our QNAP, and I shared that experience in case others had a similar need or desire :). Is it for everyone ? Probably not, since it requires more work to get it setup and to maintain the exports file manually.. no GUI involved. But I personally like the additional configuration options afforded by going this route. You can also do NFS over SSH and change the defauly port, options I don't recall having seen in the builtin KNFS, but that doesn't really have any relevance for any of the media players I have tried (I don't recall seeing the ability to change the port for the client on any of them).

Feel free to fire away any questions you might have, happy to answer them as best I can :)

Sparkss
12-10-09, 23:12
Perfomance increase on NFS would be very welcome since i'm stuck on 8.5Mbps on Cat6E gbit

I was shocked at this as well. I was actually getting better speeds out of SMB to the same media player as I was from the builtin NFS *ouch*. You should see a pretty good increase. We went from around 9 Mbps to 16 Mbps when moving to UNFS. Best of luck and post your results.

The guide from Rudku looks pretty comprehensive. Looks like he added alot of valid detail to the strawman one I laid out over on the QNAP forum, filling in alot of the needed information and steps. Kudos to Rudku for that, and thanks to him also for letting me know he started this thread over here as well :).

Sparkss
12-10-09, 23:28
A couple of corrections/elaborations to Rudku's guide :)

5. Backup file /etc/ from NAS to computer

You actually should back up the /etc/exports file from the builtin NFS. This is a good idea to do it before you disable the builtin NFS to give you a baseline exports file to build on. If you don't mind, or prefer to build your exports from scratch, then you don't need to do this step.

8. Edit start script of UNFS file /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
Example of original S56unfsd:
# cat /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
/opt/sbin/unfsd

Example of modified S56unfsd:
/opt/sbin/unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/opt/sbin/unfsd
/opt/sbin/unfsd -e /share/MD0_DATA/opt/etc/ exports

In the text above I detected a space between the etc/ and exports. There should not be any spaces. It is a known problem with pasting into some forums, especially if using the code tags (which I didn't look to see if Rudku had or not, but I have been bitten by this before, so I tend to look for it.. once bitten, twice shy sort of thing :)).

This is how the last line should look (w/o any spaces in the exports path)

11. run showmount -e to verify that it is running and exporting your mounts as expected.

The showmount command is not part of the unfs ipkg. To get it you need to install the nfs-utils ipkg :

ipkg install nfs-utils

I had forgotten this previously and wanted to make sure I pointed it out now :)

HTH :)

murda
12-10-09, 23:28
Indeed nice of him to post it in here. I am posting also in Qnap forums under the same nick but I wasn't aware of this thread.

Malignant
13-10-09, 08:53
Just want to verify 1 thing.

When i try to install UNFS does it delete or alter any files on the Qnap regarding KNFS ?
With my luck it removes everything and UNFS wont work, and i'm stuck with a bricked NAS :)

Just want to know that i have the option of turning KNFS on in the GUI and it still works after "failing" to install UNFS :)
If i can fall back to the regular setup i think i have a nice project planned for the weekend

rudku
13-10-09, 17:33
All about nfs

Pls., do you somebody know, if is possible check all mounted clients via nfs on server side (including mounting parameters)?

I found that for testing NFS (after NFS has been set up) we can use these following tools: showmount, rpcinfo and nfsstat.

... but with tools I cannot check what I want ...

Here is a very nice elaborated page, where you can find all and very detailled information about nfs:
http://www.snow.nl/dist/htmlc/ch09s02.html

Sparkss
13-10-09, 18:45
Just want to verify 1 thing.

When i try to install UNFS does it delete or alter any files on the Qnap regarding KNFS ?
With my luck it removes everything and UNFS wont work, and i'm stuck with a bricked NAS :)

Just want to know that i have the option of turning KNFS on in the GUI and it still works after "failing" to install UNFS :)
If i can fall back to the regular setup i think i have a nice project planned for the weekend

The ipkg only lays a few files down, for either/both the unfs3 and nfs-utils ipkgs discussed here. You can even run ipkg files unfs3 to see what it installs. I have all 3 installed and switch back and forth to check the functionality and speed of all 3 (unfs3, knfs *from ipkg* and knfs *builtin*).

You would be hard pressed to install anything that would brick your QNAP, at least from the ipkgs I have dissected. Most all of your system files are kept in non-volatile flash memory and are copied over to volatile flash memory at start up. So basically every time you reboot you start with a "fresh slate". The only tools that have access to that non-volatile flash is the GUI and any FW updates. You can access them yourself, but they are not easily accessbile. Alot of your configuration files that are kept on your first HD partition are "created" by startup programs too, so they get recreated/refreshed on each reboot as well (which is also partly why we need ot keep the exports file somewhere else besides /etc :)).

Short answer, no, installing the 2 ipkgs mentioned here will not brick your QNAP nor will they render your built in KNFS from working.

Malignant
15-10-09, 20:41
Well could wait till the weekend so started fooling around already.
But like expected i cant seem to get it to work.
(My NAS isn't bricked, that's an accomplishment on it's own for me already :) )

My exports file :

/share/MD0_DATA/Public 192.168.1.100/200(rw,async,no_root_squash)

It started going wrong @ step 8
The suggested file doesn't work for me.
But with some tweaking i managed to get that one running.
It isn't pretty but it works.

/opt/sbin/unfsd
cat /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/opt/sbin/unfsd
/opt/sbin/unfsd -e /opt/etc/exports

Installed all the needed PKG's ( unfs / nfs-utils )

The i run the S56unfsd script.
Showmount -e show's me my share.

But the i want to connect to my share from my HD Center and it just doesn't connect.
HD center is on IP adress 192.168.1.101 at the moment.
But this changes sometimes when i need to reboot my network so that's why i added the 100/200 range to my exports file.

The HD center is set to connect to the NAS ip via NFS(udp) to the folder Public.
It seems to detect the NAS but it just wont connect.
Tried removing the Public folder from the NAS connect option but then i can't set the connection because it needs a folder.

I also tried editing my Exports folder to go to share the root of my NAS and i tried with "/" and without "/" in my exports file.

Am i missing something here ?

In desperation i swithed on the KNFS again and it conected instantly.

And i'm just curious, does this script run on boot of my NAS or do i need to run it manually after power down ? I want to know because my NAS is set to power down each night after it's maintanance routine and then boot up in the morning the next day. Just some power conserving during the night :)

Help please

Sparkss
15-10-09, 21:31
at first glance I see that your exports file is wrong. Change the /200 to /24 in your export line. That is the byte count, not the range limiter. Do that, restart your unfsd and try to connect again. I will read through the rest of your post to see if anything else jumps out.

EDIT : Also make sure the Dune is pointing to /share/MD0_DATA/Public and not /Public. The builin KNFS does some mapping to allow the "short names", but that may also be why there is that performance hit when using it. If you want to share the root of your NAS, you can, once you fix the allowed IP entry. That is one other advantage of unfs over the builtin, iirc, since I don't remember being able to set up shares outside of the drives FS.

As an FYI, if I remember my IP Class C Math an IP subnet definition of 192.168.1.0/24 should give you a range of 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255

If you want unfs to autostart then follow the instructions for adding the startup script to your autostart file on the QNAP. I had outlined in from a very high level in my posts on the QNAP forum, but am not sure if they made it over to here when it was reposted.

HTH

Be sure to post and share your experiences as they will help others (that is all I did, was to post my experiences in getting it setup and running on our TS-509 :)).

simi
15-10-09, 22:23
Dear rudku, dear Sparkss

could you please have a look at my configuration to use UNFS on my Qnap TS-119? I'm also suffering from low read speed from NAS to HD Center.
I don't have much knowhow about Linux and tried to do step by step trough your short guide. But can't make it work. Dune and TS-119 are with latest Firmware 3.1.1 and I deactivated every other Network-Service except Telnet and SSH on NAS.

I was able to install ipkg install unfs3.

My export file is in /opt/etc/ which point's me to /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc and looks like this
/share/HDA_DATA/Filme 192.168.1.12/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)

/opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd look's like this

/opt/sbin/unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/opt/sbin/unfsd

At this point I disabled the Qnap NFS Service in WebGui

then from root-dir I run:
# portmap
#
# /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
/opt/sbin/unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/opt/sbin/unfsd
#
# ps -eaf | grep nfs
1679 admin 5052 S /opt/sbin/unfsd -e /opt/etc/exports
#

Actually finish now. Can’t do the showmount -e because of missing nfs_utils. If
I try to install that like the unfs3 with
# ipkg update
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/tsx19/cross/unstable/Packa...
Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/tsx19
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable...
/Packages.gz
Inflating http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/P....
ackages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/cs08q1armel
Successfully terminated.

# ipkg install nfs-utils
Nothing to be done
An error ocurred, return value: 4.
Collected errors:
Cannot find package nfs-utils.
Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
#

So look's like there is no package named nfs-utils. But that's only for showmount, not to make UNFS running.

Do you see anything wrong I have done? With Dune, I always get a "can’t connect to", configured as NFS with TCP, correct IP and exactly this Folder name: /share/HDA_DATA/Filme
When I set Network-Folder on Dune on SMB, it works instantly. But with the speed of SMB .... 

would be grateful for any help and sorry for the long post

Regards
Simi

Sparkss
15-10-09, 22:58
I don't think it should matter, but try changing your exports line from 192.168.1.12/24 to 192.168.1.0/24 (and restart unfs).

Secondly, did you happen to grab the exports from the builtin NFS ? I just want to make sure that those paths are correct, as they seem to change depending on what FW version you were running when you first set everything up. One other way to check is to do an ls -al /share/HDA_DATA/Filme just to make sure the paths are all there. Going to dig into the nfs-utils ipkg issue and get back to you

EDIT : About nfs-utils, yes, it is only for the showmount binary. I just checked the ipkg repository and everything looks to be there :

[/share/HDA_DATA/tmp] # ipkg list | grep nfs
dstat - 0.6.9-1 - dstat is a versatile replacement for vmstat, iostat, netstat, nfsstat, and ifstat
nfs-server - 2.2beta47-4 - Minimal NFS server without TCP Wrappers (not recommended, use nfs-utils instead)
nfs-utils - 1.1.1-1 - Kernel NFS Server
unfs3 - 0.9.18-1 - Version 3 NFS server (not recommended, use nfs-utils instead)
[/share/HDA_DATA/tmp] # ipkg info nfs-utils
Package: nfs-utils
Version: 1.1.1-1
Depends: portmap, e2fsprogs
Section: net
Architecture: i686
maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
MD5Sum: fc9858eeb2f2ba979ef0d89314ae16e3
Size: 80785
Filename: nfs-utils_1.1.1-1_i686.ipk
Source: http://easynews.dl.sf.net/sourceforge/nfs/nfs-utils-1.1.1.tar.gz
Description: Kernel NFS Server

Not sure why yours wouldn't install. I did notice that it lists e2fsprogs as a dependency. I do have those installed, but don't remember now if I installed them before or after nfs-utils. And I thought that ipkgs would auto-install any needed supporting ipkgs ?

Malignant
15-10-09, 23:12
at first glance I see that your exports file is wrong. Change the /200 to /24 in your export line. That is the byte count, not the range limiter. Do that, restart your unfsd and try to connect again. I will read through the rest of your post to see if anything else jumps out.

EDIT : Also make sure the Dune is pointing to /share/MD0_DATA/Public and not /Public. The builin KNFS does some mapping to allow the "short names", but that may also be why there is that performance hit when using it. If you want to share the root of your NAS, you can, once you fix the allowed IP entry. That is one other advantage of unfs over the builtin, iirc, since I don't remember being able to set up shares outside of the drives FS.

That did the trick.
Thank you, got it running now on my Qnap TS439
Speed to Dune increase by almost 180%

Regular NFS was 8.5Mbps
Unfs clocks in between 15~16Mbps

Just need to figure out how to let it boot ups when my NAS resets, but that is something for the weekend.

Cheers and thanks for the help

P.S.

Certain Blu-rays with DDTHD & DTS-MA wich where loosing audio & stuttering now run like a charm

Sparkss
15-10-09, 23:39
Glad I could help. For the "starting at bootup" do a search for autostart on the QNAP boards. I saw a couple of guides for adding things to the autostart files on our QNAPs. You just need to add those 2 commands to the autostart file and you should be in business :).

Your speed test results were pretty much the same as ours. Good to know that it is consistent across the QNAP models and units (and not some fluke). We also felt like we saw a little more stability in our BD playback. But we are also dealing with a Dune that we are trying to get serviced, so stability is not a topic I can speak on in general right now :(.

rudku
16-10-09, 08:56
Nice work Sparkss!

Frequent mistakes:
1) Wrong IP subnet
... some explanation about IP subnet, by Sparkss from QNAP forum:

"I also allow access to any system on our local network. The 192.168.40.0/24 is the same as 192.168.40.0:subnet mask 255.255.255.0, or any IP between 192.168.40.1 and 192.168.40.255."

2) Missing full path
full path on client side for shared folder is required because QNAP NAS uses with native KNFS shortened paths
example mapping in native QNAP KNFS “Media”
example mapping in UNFS "/share/MD0_DATA/Media"

... and instructions how manually stop UNFS server processes on NAS for linux beginers:
- command "ps" - list of all processes running on NAS
- looking for "portmap" and process "/opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd"
- command "kill -9 nnnn"
where nnnn is number of PID, which a first number in line with wanted process

Malignant
16-10-09, 09:05
Found some usefull info for those who want to start this up @ boot.

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Autorun.sh

Haven't tried it myself yet, will do so when i get home from work.

Since the performance increase is so immense, and it is rather easy to do i was thinking about writing a quick guide "UNFS for dummies" maybe around the weekend.

If i got it to work, anybody can :)

I'm not promising anything, but if i get something written mind if i pass it past you guys.
Since you're credits should be on there, and you know way more that i do in this subject.

Sparkss
16-10-09, 09:13
Found some usefull info for those who want to start this up @ boot.

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Autorun.sh

Haven't tried it myself yet, will do so when i get home from work.

Since the performance increase is so immense, and it is rather easy to do i was thinking about writing a quick guide "UNFS for dummies" maybe around the weekend.

If i got it to work, anybody can :)

I'm not promising anything, but if i get something written mind if i pass it past you guys.
Since you're credits should be on there, and you know way more that i do in this subject.

That's generous of you. Is there any way to just add whatever you feel is needed to the guide the rudku has already put together at the begining of this thread ? He spent a fair amount of time and energy writing it up and condensing my "post spew" from the QNAP forums and I feel he did a really good job. Maybe turn it into a nice collaborative efforts amongst ourselves here on MPC, to benefit everyone else.

Thanks for that link to the autorun.sh info. I haven't checked it out myself just yet, but it looks spot on for what is needed to add unfs to auto-start on a reboot :).

I am still waiting to hear back from Simi on his installation to see if he was able to get it working. I am heading off to bed but will check again first thing in the morning before heading off to work :).

EDIT : Maybe one of you can talk to Hi-Jack about making it a Sticky, or about starting a new thread with a "new" guide, written by you "new experts" :). The best way to write and vette a guide is to get someone who has no idea about the subject matter to try to use it. Documenting all of the challenges you came across, and how you resolved them, will help so much more :).

Anyways, just a thought. :)

simi
16-10-09, 11:54
Dear Sparkss

Thank you for your help! Will do that all this evening. At work now.

Will try to install e2fsprogs first and then do the nfs-utils again. May would help, if I could see the showmount result. When do the ipkg update command, it tells me "Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/cs08q1armel". I had a look at this file, there is also no nfs-utils available. Strange.

I checked the path for /share/HDA_DATA/Filme. It's correct and I also see the movie-files in there. Will also try with settings 192.168.1.0/24 instead of 192.168.1.12/24 in exports.

Yes, with buildin NFS I was able to see the files on my Dune. With the known slow speed.

When I see the speed results from people here in the forum, who made the change to UNFS, I feel like a child in the candyshop saying ME TOO, ME TOO, ...

If I can make UNFS work in my place too, let me know where to send some Swiss Chocolate to!

Regards
Simi

rudku
16-10-09, 14:38
@Hi-Jack

EDIT : Maybe one of you can talk to Hi-Jack about making it a Sticky, or about starting a new thread with a "new" guide, written by you "new experts" . The best way to write and vette a guide is to get someone who has no idea about the subject matter to try to use it. Documenting all of the challenges you came across, and how you resolved them, will help so much more .

I agree with Sparkss. The some system for publishing of guides from users will be good.
I tried edit (repair and add some points) my small guide published before 4 days, but without success. The button Edit missing for me in this post now.
Maybe the MPC Knowledge Base will be sufficient. I donīt know.

@Malignant

Iīm happy, that you have successfully installed UNFS and continue working on next steps.
Thanks.
Please, can you explain my how you measured your transfer result?

Regular NFS was 8.5Mbps

@Simi

... I like Swiss Chocolate too :-) :-) :-)
but Sparkss is right person for sweet bonus

Malignant
16-10-09, 14:56
Got a preliminairy guide ready.

Was getting bored at work so i took some time off.

Note that i do need to update the used screenshots.
I just stole them from internet at the moment so i know what to insert.
When i get home i will make my own screenshots and insert them into the guide.

I do need some help to. For the guide i took Rudku's post and just started builing around that.
I think i did a reasonable job on that. But i need help with bullit 8.
The S56undsd script part, i have no idea what that means and what it does.
Would be nice if somebody with some idea what they are doing could fill that part in.

Tonight i will be experimenting with adding the unfs server to the autorun.sh file on the NAS.
When i know how to do it i will add that part to the guide as well.

After that i will ad an index and chapters as well, so please don't comment on that just yet.

As far as visuals go, please don't comment on that. It is a preliminairy version ( not suitable for Distribution ! ).
I want to submit it to HJ or advocate when done so that they can slap the MPC label & style on it.

Comments & remarks & suggestions are welcome.

***Removed attached document, official Final version available here : http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23129 ***

Malignant
16-10-09, 15:11
@Malignant

Iīm happy, that you have successfully installed UNFS and continue working on next steps.
Thanks.
Please, can you explain my how you measured your transfer result?

Regular NFS was 8.5Mbps

This was tested on my dune.
Just used the "read test" option on a file.
Unfortunately the dune just supports 2 characters when displaying speed.
So i cannot give a 100% accurate result.
It's also an avarage and not a max speed result.
But i noticed that it avarage's 15Mbps in just under a second so it is lightningfast :)

rudku
16-10-09, 15:23
@Malignant

I think i did a reasonable job on that. But i need help with bullit 8.
The S56undsd script part, i have no idea what that means and what it does.
Would be nice if somebody with some idea what they are doing could fill that part in.

/opt/sbin/unfsd need for running modified exports file.
This exports file you need somewhere stored, and is better store it in another place such as for native QNAP KNFS (/ets/exports).
So, line:
telling the system, where is stored your exports file with definition shared folders for UNFS.

Definition parameter -e:
-e <file>
Use the given file as the exports file, instead of using /etc/exports. Note that the file needs to be specified using an absolute path.

rudku
16-10-09, 17:22
About autorun.sh on QNAP NAS

Customizing Startup
There are certain files and settings that get reset back to factory defaults at every reboot. In
order to set those back to what you want you need to modify the autorun.sh script. This file is
executed every time the device is booted. It is located on a volume that is not normally
mounted. This means that anytime you wanted to edit the file you would have to mount the
volume, edit the file, and then unmount the volume. A better way is to make the autorun.sh file
a link to your actual autorun file. This way you only have to edit the autorun.sh file on the
unmounted volume once. To change the autorun file you would just have to edit your autorun
file. Here are the steps to change the default autorun.sh file to a link.

mount /dev/mtdblock5 -t ext2 /tmp/config
cd /tmp/config
rm autorun.sh (see note 1)
ln -sf /path to your file/autorun.sh autorun.sh
cd /
umount /dev/mtdblock5

On the Intel series NAS use the following:

mount /dev/sdx6 /tmp/config
cd /tmp/config
rm autorun.sh (see note 1)
ln –sf /path to your file/autorun.sh autorun.sh
cd /
umount /dev/sdx6

If for some reason, like maybe during a firmware update, the link was replaced with the default
file you would just have to restore the link. Your autorun file would still be intact.
Notes
1. Check to see if the existing autorun.sh file has any entries in it before you delete it. If it
does copy them to you new autorun.sh file before deleting the one in /tmp/config.
2. Make sure you unmount the device before the NAS is rebooted.
3. Make sure the autorun.sh files are marked as executable (chmod +x autorun.sh).
4. Any files or executables that you reference in the autorun.sh file, or any files or
executables that are referenced by your scripts or other scripts, must use the full path
name. During the execution of autorun.sh the system will not perform a search to find
other executables or files; you must specify the full paths in everything that you
reference.

Troubleshoting with autorun.sh
autorun.sh Does Not Work
Sometimes a script or command that works from a terminal session will not work when included
in the autorun.sh file. This is because when the autorun.sh is executed during system startup
there are a limited number of directories specified in the PATH statement so applications or
scripts that would be found from a terminal session might not be found during the execution of
your autorun.sh script. You therefore must specify the full path name to reference any files
(commands, scripts, files, etc) you are adding. For example:

/share/path-to-your-script/your-script.sh

Additionally any scripts or commands that you reference in your script must also use the full
path name.
To help diagnose problems with your autorun.sh file you might also try to redirect the output of
your commands to a log file so you can see what messages are being generated. To capture the
stdout and stderr add the following onto your command:

yourcommand arguments 1>>yourlogfile 2>>yourlogfile

You can now review the messages in yourlogfile to see why your command is not running from
autorun.sh.
Sometimes there are certain tasks that you cannot get started from autorun.sh. For these tasks I use daemon_mgr to start the task. Please see the daemon_mgr section on how to use it.

All info above are from QNAP TS/SS ARM & Intel Series NAS How-to Guide created by Don
on QNAP forum.
You can download it here:
http://forum.qnap.com/download/file.php?id=2096

Sparkss
16-10-09, 18:43
@Simi

I didn't update nfs-utils, I installed it. From what I remember reading the update command will update any installed ipkgs to the latest version(s). Let us know how it turns out :)

@Mal

Did Rudku's response answer your question about the S56unfsd file ? Or did you want to know what each line, existing included, are doing ? I haven't read your guide yet. I will try to get to it later on today. Thanks for taking the time.

@Rudku

You answered one of my long standing questions about paths on our QNAPs w/ your paste of the autorun.sh info. The Intel based units have /share/HDA_DATA and the non-intel have /share/MD0_DATA mounts. I wasn't sure if it was due to FW versions, which is partly was since those two platforms use different FWs :). But also due to the storage subsystem hardware used. Glad to know the how and why now :)

General suggestion, especially since the dif units can have dif pathing I would change this line :

to be :

It will actually point to the same directory, but using the /opt ipkg created link which will mask any underlying drive/mount differences.

A note about the paths can also be added to the exports file section, although the best option is still copying the existing exports from the builtin knfs and modifying it for our use :)

I also wanted to add a little detail to this bit from the sutorun.sh info :

yourcommand arguments 1>>yourlogfile 2>>yourlogfile

1 is StdOUT, which means any normal output that would show up in your SSH session would be redirected to the file indicated by 1>>yourlogfile

2 is StdERR, which is a bit different, and while those errors look the same to the user in an SSH session, but from the program generating them it is very different. It is for Errors only. So if you wanted to have a separate file to collect the errors, just put a different file name after the 2>>. It is common to do something like this : 1>>mystartup.log 2>>mystartup.err. Additionally, if you want to just log all messages and errors to the same file you can use the shorthand of >>mystartup.log 2>&1 . The default is to redirect StdOUT, the 2>&1 tells the system to funnel all errors (from StdERR) to the same place you are redirecting StdOUT.

Sparkss
16-10-09, 18:58
One reason you don't see much extra info on the QNAP boards about this is because it also makes NFS possible on the non-Pro models, which the main differences between the Pro and non-Pro FW is NFS and MS-LDAP. For our needs NFS is the one we are most interested in, and the reason some people opted for the Pro, versus the cheaper non-Pro version(s). Just some data that I gleaned while browsing their forums prior to installing UNFS myself. As I mentioned on my original QNAP post, I had been using UNFS for the past 2 years on our older D-Link NAS (hacked w/ fun-plug and running separate daemons). That was another NAS that didn't officially support NFS ;). Even then I had hacked the kernel to enable KNFS on it and ended up going back to UNFS since the performance difference was minimal and I didn't like how KNFS exported the file systems (Although that was due to how I have our storage setup). That KNFS is equivalent to the KNFS in the nfs-utils ipkg. If you want a bit more speed (maybe 5% more?) you can always try out the KNFS from nfs-utils (you already installed it anyways to get showmount, etc :)). But as I mentioned earlier in this post (and why I brought up our old D-Links at all) I prefer UNFS for how it handles links. Using the KNFS from nfs-utils is even easier since you don't need to run portmap, you just run the since S56nfs-utils script. If you have a QNAP that is reaching the limits of it's capacity (memory or CPU utilization is always high), then maybe give the KNFS from nfs-utils a try. It should be a little better for that. If I recall you will need to "update" the exports file again, but it all depends on how much you "stretch" the daemon. I tend to ask alot out of my technology and try to make it do things it wasn't really meant to do :). For me I plan to stick w/ UNFS as it does everything I want, and nothing that I don't.

Maybe later I will try to better describe how I have our NAS setup and the Menu I created for our Dune (similar to the one I used to have for our TviX, jsut dif icon files).

simi
16-10-09, 19:01
Dear Sparkss, dear rudku

I finally make it work. Seams that only changing settings in exports from
192.168.1.12/24 to 192.168.1.0/24 made the difference. Thank you Sparkss.
BUT: read test on Dune is lower the before, 7.9Mbit. Wuäääähhh!

The original NFS is still disabled (checked in WebGUI). so I think I'm connected by UNFS now.
When I ordered the HD Center, there was no 1Gbit available. I ordered the Gbit-Modul a few weeks ago. Since then it's connected by 1Gbit (Setup -> Network settings on the Dune). How to be sure, it really works as Gbit???
So now Dune and TS-119 are connected by Cat6-Cable on a Zyxel GS-105B-Switch.
Would the showmount be helpful again to get more info’s? As a suggestion from Sparkss, I installed e2fsprogs first successfully. After that I tried to install nfs-utils again with ipkg update. But same result. No nfs-utils available. So I downloaded nfs-utils by the link from his post and tried to install it manually like this

copy nfs-utils-1.1.1.tar.gz to /tmp on the Qnap
tar xvfz nfs-utils-1.1.1.tar.gz
cd nfs-utils-1.1.1
./configure
make

but the ./configure brings me this error:

[/tmp] # cd nfs-utils-1.1.1
[/tmp/nfs-utils-1.1.1] # ./configure
checking build system type... armv5tejl-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... armv5tejl-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for style of include used by make... none
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
[/tmp/nfs-utils-1.1.1] #

Look's like there are a lot of things, I can do wrong :-(

Regards
Simi

Sparkss
16-10-09, 20:10
showmount won't help with your speed. So long as you are conencting, then you are past the point that showmount would be useful. Trying to compile it yourself will take alot more libraries and supporting ipkg installs. For now I would just not worry about it. We can dig into the ipkg install nfs-utils issue later.

For checking Gb vs 100Mb connection, you can either look at the indicator lights on your switch/router, most have dif lights for 10/100/1000 connections. I also believe that when you go into the Network config screen on the Dune it will tell you status (IE: Connected 1 Gb, etc).

What is the path you are using in the network shortcut on the Dune ?
Do a ps -aef | grep nfs and see how many you have running. Also try a mount and see if you have any leftover mounts from the builtin KNFS (I did and had to reboot to clear them, but then again I was doing LOTS of funky things so I probably did it to myself).

Malignant
16-10-09, 20:17
@ Simi : What protocol is the dune set to ?
I tried both TCP & UDP and that is a big difference for me.

TCP = 6Mbit
UDP = 14~16Mbit

Managed to edit the autorun.sh file as well.
Unfs now starts on boot up.
Will post my results tomorrow i think.
I'm done for the day.

I did notice one thing when using Unfs.
Browsing the NAS seems to go a lot slower than when using the standard NFS client.
Takes a lot longer to load my directory lay-out when i enter my NAS.

BTW, i was reporting improvement in DDTHD & DTS-MA audio tracks yesterday.
That was just temporary i fear. Playing the same BD-Folder backups today and audio keeps dropping and experiencing video stutter as well unfortunately ( Gary More Blu ray & Starship Troopers 3 Blu-ray )

Sparkss
16-10-09, 20:50
strange, I saw an improvement in my layout load times. What does your QNAP show for utilization (either w/ top or from the web console gui) ?

Do you see any other running processes that may be stepping on UNFS ? (like mounts or anything other NFSDs)

You also might want to try the KNFS from nfs-utils. If you just have a single shared folder then you would be fine w/ it. It doesn't take much more to get running, if you already have your exports file in /opt/etc then you are pretty much done, iirc. Try killing the unfsd then run the nfs-utils startup script (S56nfs-utils I think.) Backup your exports file somewhere though, as that startup deletes, copies and relinks the /etc/exports file, but I just don't remember the details as it has been a while since I read through that script. Check your mounts w/ showmount, and then try it from the Dune. Chances are everything will work w/o any additional chnages, and the KNFSD from ipkg may work even better for you. If you run into any troubles just post and we can work through them. The only problems should be w/ the exports file and the mount point path used from the Dune. But I don't think they change significantly enough to require changes. Let us know if that helps any.

simi
16-10-09, 20:58
Sparkss, do you never sleep???

ok, we forget about showmount :-).

Sad, but there are no different lights on the switch to see 100 or 1000Mbit. Did check the manual right now. Everything's just green.
Network-Path on Dune is /share/HDA_DATA/Filme with NFS/TCP.
After the disappointing result, I restarted Dune and QNap just to be sure. After portmap and /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd a ps -aef | grep nfs givers me this

# ps -aef | grep nfs
1526 admin 5260 S /opt/sbin/unfsd -e /opt/etc/exports
1804 admin 548 S grep nfs
#

and

# mount
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=32M)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /mnt/ext type ext3 (rw)
/dev/md9 on /mnt/HDA_ROOT type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /share/HDA_DATA type ext3 (rw,usrjquota=aquota.user,jqfmt=vfsv0,dat
a=writeback)
tmpfs on /.eaccelerator.tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=32M)
[/tmp] # ps -aef | grep nfs
1526 admin 5260 S /opt/sbin/unfsd -e /opt/etc/exports
1804 admin 548 S grep nfs
[/tmp] # mount
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=32M)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /mnt/ext type ext3 (rw)
/dev/md9 on /mnt/HDA_ROOT type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /share/HDA_DATA type ext3 (rw,usrjquota=aquota.user,jqfmt=vfsv0,dat
a=writeback)
tmpfs on /.eaccelerator.tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=32M)
#

So far, does it look ok?
In the Network Setup on Dune I’m connected with 1Gbit successfully

@Malignant
I normally use NFS. I also tried UDP today, but then my Dune hang up and freeze. But maybe I was to impatient, cause you wrote, browsing a NAS take longer with UNFS. Have to try that again, as soon as my wife frees the TV.
How to use autorun for startup would be very nice.
Stutter with HD-Audio and you still have 14~16Mbit? Don’t destroy my illusion for having a solution found here in the forum !!!

Wish you all a good start of weekend
Simi

Sparkss
16-10-09, 21:28
@Simi
It is morning here :).

Aside from using UDP you can also try reinitializing your Dune network adaptor (IIRC just clicking on the Apply w/o making any changes in the Network setup reinitializes). There were problems reported w/. the Gb modules, but I am not sure if what you are experiencing is related.

@Mal

One other thing, when you have audio dropouts can you drop back to file view and do a read speed test (w/o changing connections, sessions or anything else) ? And at that moment also check CPU/Memory utilization on the QNAP at the moment the dropouts occur and/or speed test shows problems.

nfsstat will help diagnose NFS transmission issues. I noticed that it didn't seem to have any good data for this UNFSD, which is odd since I used it to check for issues on our other UNFS (on our old D-Link). It should prove useful for the KNFS from the ipkg, if you give that a try.

simi
17-10-09, 01:56
Hi Sparkss

I see, you don't have weekend yet :-)

12! I got 12Mbit now, when change folder settings on Dune to UDP. Great!!! Had a look at some BRs, they all run smoothly also with different HD-audios. May have to do some long time tests. But I never got so far before. You Guys are great! Sparkss, rudku and all the other helping guys: If you PM your address, I'll send you something.

The autorun-thing will be nice too. But I do not restart the Qnap very often. I’ll keep tracking this post to see, if there will be any guide sometimes.

You make my weekend!

Regards
Simi

Sparkss
17-10-09, 02:43
It is almost weekend here.. 4:30 PM Friday afternoon !!!

Glad to help out and very glad that your speeds improved too :). No need to send me anything, just return the favor and help out the next guy to come along by sharing your experience with them (ala "pay it forward"), unless you want to send me a working Dune !!! :) (grrr, those guys are starting to irk me with their "ignoring" of my problem).

I believe there is an autorun.sh guide coming from Mal, so be sure to thank him as well :)

And glad we alll helped to make your weekend !!!! :) I am probably going to buy a 3.0 when it finally becomes avail and then ship our 1.0 to them to deal with (tired of waiting for them to setup RMA/service). AFTER we get a good, working unit, then that will make MY weekend !!!! :). But thankfully ours still works pretty good as a file player, just won't do BD any more.. :(. But that is waaaay off topic !!!, I don't want to hijack or derail Rudku's thread :), that may hinder it becoming a Sticky !!!

Malignant
17-10-09, 12:08
Now i am shitfaced.

After a good night of sleep went and had another go at it.
Last night i disabled my autorun file and let the normal nfs client boot up.

Wanted a challenge this morning so i booted up the Unfs again.
And WTF, all the BR's that were stuttering last night work flawless again.
Respoviness back to normal again as well. Really strange.

Going to experiment with the autorun.sh file some more, to see if i there is something wrong in there. Will post a quick guide later on today.

Just need to understand one thing here i can't seem to get.
In the S56unfsd script line 2 :

Why is there a tmp dir between the brackets ?
My script always hangs when i leave this line in.
I even made the dir on my HD, wich in my case was located on MD0_DATA.
But i always get the mssg "no such directory"
What does it do ? It's not needed because i removed it and it run fine for me.

@Sparkss : Offtopic - Enjoy the weekend there, just been to you're area 3 weeks ago.
The last stop of my vacation was the City :) Really nice city to be. I just love the states.

P.S. : Seeing all test here indicate a nice speed increase and seeing that i'm going for a new dune 3.0 model i'm wondering if there is a speed increase with the new generation of sigma chips that is this big as well. Any PCH C200 owners reading this as well and wanting to try it out, please post your results here as well.

Malignant
17-10-09, 12:51
Ok guys here we go on the autorun.sh file.

I'm going to do a quick explenation here so that you can set it up.
I will take it into more detail in my dummie guide.
Since you already know a lot it should be a breeze for you.

Open up a putty session and mount your config ramblock.
This varies with each model so please check here on how to mount it :
http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/autorun.sh

Navigate to the following directory in putty

/tmp/config

do a quick listview here to check if there is an autorun file ( in most cases it won't be )

ls

Now you need to create an autorun.sh file

vi autorun.sh

This opens up the vi editor

Now you need to enter the commands here. This is the tricky part.
When te autorun file is executed i found out there is not mapping done on the Qnap so we MUST enter the full pathnames here.

Mine looks like this :

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

You need to find out where your dir's are located, you must use full paths otherwis it won't work. After this is done save and close the editor.
Now you need to make sure the autorun.sh file is executable.

Do this by entering the following command in putty
chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

When you do another listview of the dir in putty i believe the autorun file is now colored green.

You are now done with the config ramblock.
Be sure to unmount it before moving on.

umount /tmp/config

Yes it says Umount and not UNmount, don't make the same mistake i did :)

Since the autorun is executed at boot and no mapping is done yet you need to edit the S56unfsd script so that it includes ALL full pathnames as well.

Mine came out looking something like this, please don't comment because i don't know what the hell it does. But it helps with stability i think so i run it via the script.

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd
cat /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports

Save that and you should be set.
Just really make sure you have ALL FULL PATH NAMES when pointing towards anything otherwise it won't work.

Now just reboot your NAS, and if done correctly the unfs client should be up and running after boot.

When my NAS is rebooted it take's around 1 min extra after it beeps a few time's to signal it's operational for the unfs client to run.

Should be a breeze, only pain in the ass is finding out the full pathnames of all the files.

I recommend you use WinSCP for that since that is an easy way of browsing the NAS.
I will rewrite my guide from scratch as well, cause it was centered on Putty, but WinSCP is so much easier.

Let me know what results you get.

rudku
17-10-09, 16:40
@Sparkss & @Malignant
Note about paths:
/share/HDA_DATA or /share/MD0_DATA?
According my experience with QNAP NASes these two paths donīt depend from CPU (Intel vs. non-Intel), but depend from Volume Management settings.
Units with RAID system uses /share/MD0_DATA and units with non-RAID system uses /share/HDA_DATA.

@Malignant
Firstly, thank you for your effort with adding UNFS to autorun script.

I did notice one thing when using Unfs.
Browsing the NAS seems to go a lot slower than when using the standard NFS client.
Takes a lot longer to load my directory lay-out when i enter my NAS.

Iīm afraid, I have a similar experience, that browsing on NAS is with UNFS slower such as KNFS. :-(

Switching between UNFS and native QNAP KernelNFS
- No problem, manually kill the 2 processes of UNFS, then on web admin GUI switch NFS "ON", and reboot NAS for safetyīs sake and thatīs it.
Notes:
- /etc/exports file for KernelNFS is generated automatically
- strange is that /opt/etc/exports file for UNFS is rewrited too, and is the same, such as /etc/exports
- then backup your modified exports file for UNFS

rudku
17-10-09, 17:01
My test results and comparing UNFS with native QNAP KNFS

Network enviroment
Network: gigabit
NAS: QNAP TS-509, FW: Version 3.1.1 build 0815T, Network Connection: Port Trunking IEEE 802.3ad
Clients:
- HDi Dune Prime 1.0 with gigabit module (changed to new type in service), FW: 090731_1629_beta
- XBMC (live linux), HTPC based on ION platform, ver:9.10 r23754

Test results HDi Dune (average speeds):
SMB 9,8 MBps
KNFS (TCP) 9,4 MBps
KNFS (UDP) 9,3 MBps
UNFS (TCP) 8,6 MBps
UNFS (UDP) 16,0 MBps

Test results linux XBMC:
I donīt know how I can measure it. Streaming all heavy bitrated movies run smoothly on KernelNFS too.
I tried comparing KernelNFS vs. UNS only with dstat.

native QNAP KNFS
nfsstat -m
/home/xbmc/NAS from 192.168.0.2:/Media
Flags: rw,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,har d,nointr,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec= sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.2,mountvers=3,mountproto=t cp,addr=192.168.0.2

UNFS
nfsstat -m
/home/xbmc/NAS from 192.168.0.2:/share/MD0_DATA/Media
Flags: rw,vers=3,rsize=524288,wsize=524288,namlen=255,har d,nointr,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec= sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.2,mountvers=3,mountproto=t cp,addr=192.168.0.2

Interesting are different values for rsize/wsize, and that these values are several fold higher such as “standard” range values from 4096 to 32768.
I test stream and then copy the same file from NAS to client with both variant nfs protocols.

The graph with test results is attached down.

Seems that native KNFS has higher performing in copy test (peak 97,17 MBps) such as UNFS (peak 70,84 MBps). Results in streaming test are very similar. (KNFS peak 10,29 MBps vs. UNFS peak 8,23 MBps)
I donīt know, if this methodology of measuring is correct.

simi
17-10-09, 21:01
Hello Malignant

any idea why autorun.sh in /tmp/config/ is gone after every reboot?

Regards
Simi

simi
17-10-09, 21:12
Did a test with some dummy files in /tmp/confg. All gone after reboot the TS-119. Oink, oink!

Simi

Malignant
18-10-09, 00:14
Hello Malignant

any idea why autorun.sh in /tmp/config/ is gone after every reboot?

Regards
Simi

If you mount the config ramblock in /tmp/config it is just temporary.

In a normal situation the config ramblock is unreachable.
Therefore you need to mount it as a "directory"

All the files you see in the /tmp/config dir after mounting are the contents of your config ramblock. Just see it as a kind of hyperlink to your ramcontent.

Each time you reboot, the config ramblock gets unmounted, i.e. the link is severed.
That is why you need to remount it after each reboot.

Trust me, all the files you change when it is mounted are written to your config ramblock.

simi
18-10-09, 00:42
I see, thank you Malignant

I had a look at the Qnap Wiki, the explain the way you did.

After reboot I had no portmap and nfs-process running. When I first checked the autorun.sh it was gone :-). Did not realize the mount-thing.
So my autorun.sh must be wrong, because no started process.
It's in the right place
# ls -l /tmp/config
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 2 Oct 17 23:10 BOOT_COUNT
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administ 93 Oct 17 22:43 autorun.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 303 Jun 15 20:45 board_level_test.cfg
drwx------ 2 admin administ 12288 Apr 22 11:44 lost+found/
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 4104 Oct 17 22:53 uLinux.conf
#
whit the right permission set und look like this
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

What I don’t understand is (no linux profi), when I put the first line of my autorun.sh in a command line, it tells my
# /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
-sh: /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap: No such file or directory
#

When I first switch to the dir /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin and then run portmap, it work’s
# cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/
[/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin] # portmap
[/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin] #

Should the content of autorun.sh not just be executable like a command on command line? And for not have to do this after every reboot by hand, we created the autorun.sh?

Thank you for helping to let me understand this
Simi

Sparkss
19-10-09, 00:24
Just need to understand one thing here i can't seem to get.
In the S56unfsd script line 2 :

Why is there a tmp dir between the brackets ?
My script always hangs when i leave this line in.
I even made the dir on my HD, wich in my case was located on MD0_DATA.
But i always get the mssg "no such directory"
What does it do ? It's not needed because i removed it and it run fine for me.

That was from a paste of the contents. Line #1 and #2 as you see them are not part of the script, but they were current working dir and the command. The script in it's entirety should look like this :

#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/opt/sbin/unfsd

I also would recommend NOT creating a net new script, but instead just editing what was laid down by the ipkg, that way you can minimize the chance of introducing control codes, or other non-std chars that sometimes happen between Windows and Unix, and that can cause unexpected results. :)

Or like this, if called from autorun.sh (good catch on the need for full pathing)

#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports

Note that I left off your first two lines as they are not needed and shouldn't be there :)

Sparkss
19-10-09, 00:38
@Sparkss & @Malignant
Note about paths:
/share/HDA_DATA or /share/MD0_DATA?
According my experience with QNAP NASes these two paths donīt depend from CPU (Intel vs. non-Intel), but depend from Volume Management settings.
Units with RAID system uses /share/MD0_DATA and units with non-RAID system uses /share/HDA_DATA.

D0h!!! Yea, I knew about MDM but since I don't use RAID I didn't think about that reason. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

- strange is that /opt/etc/exports file for UNFS is rewrited too, and is the same, such as /etc/exports
- then backup your modified exports file for UNFS

I had mentioned that the KNFS from nfs-utils creates a link to /opt/etc/exports at /etc/exports. I also believe I mentioned that if that link was created and the builtin KNFS was enabled (and the unfs exports file was in /opt/etc/exports) that the builtin KNFS would overwrite our custom exports. It sounds like that is what happened here, or something similar. I wonder if the builtin KNFS also creates that link if it finds the /opt/etc/exports ? The thing to check now is ls -al /etc | grep exports and see if it is a link pointing to /opt/etc/exports. This is also why I keep my exports in a totally different directory, just in case. Sorry to hear that it overwrote your file though.

Sparkss
19-10-09, 01:09
I see, thank you Malignant

I had a look at the Qnap Wiki, the explain the way you did.

After reboot I had no portmap and nfs-process running. When I first checked the autorun.sh it was gone :-). Did not realize the mount-thing.
So my autorun.sh must be wrong, because no started process.
It's in the right place
# ls -l /tmp/config
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 2 Oct 17 23:10 BOOT_COUNT
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administ 93 Oct 17 22:43 autorun.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 303 Jun 15 20:45 board_level_test.cfg
drwx------ 2 admin administ 12288 Apr 22 11:44 lost+found/
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 4104 Oct 17 22:53 uLinux.conf
#
whit the right permission set und look like this
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

What I don’t understand is (no linux profi), when I put the first line of my autorun.sh in a command line, it tells my
# /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
-sh: /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap: No such file or directory
#

When I first switch to the dir /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin and then run portmap, it work’s
# cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/
[/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin] # portmap
[/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin] #

Should the content of autorun.sh not just be executable like a command on command line? And for not have to do this after every reboot by hand, we created the autorun.sh?

Thank you for helping to let me understand this
Simi

First off, as Mal pointed out, that mount is not carried over through a reboot, in fact you 1. Don't want to leave it mounted all the time and 2. Want to be sure to unmount it once you are done editing the autorun.sh file. If you fail to unmount it and had a power failure you could lose your QNAP (in the extreme, but likely just make it difficult to restore).

There are 3 types of storage that you see when you CD around the file system within the QNAP.

1. Volatile flash memory (typically anything outside of /share)
2. Non-Volatile flash memory (typically not directly accessible unless you mount the device first, like you do to edit the autorun file)
3. Hard Drive (everything one directory past /share, or the exception to that rule /share/external)

There are some exceptions to the above generalities, but they are a pretty good guideline. Anything in Non-Volatile memory should be left alone. This is basically the kernel, OS, settings, and anything else that makes up the Firmware. Non-Volatile will "dissappear" with a reboot. The /tmp dir is a good example of this. If you look in /tmp you shouldn't see anything created before the last reboot, or try creating a file then rebooting, it won't be there when it comes back up.

Anyways, on to your question about autorun.sh and starting unfsd at startup.

Yes, it should be running the commands as if entered from command line, but I don't get why when you try to run it from cli using the full path that it gives you that "not found" error message. I checked and the file is there on ours, but I also realized that I wasn't using the portmap that came w/ unfs3, but the one that came with the OS/QNAP (which is a newer version) :

[/usr/bin] # ls -al /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administ 10944 Jul 25 2008 /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap*
[/usr/bin] # ls -al portm*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administ 15316 Aug 14 10:50 portmap*

I had been just running portmap from command line w/o any pathing, and that was running the copy in /usr/bin :

[/] # which portmap
/usr/bin/portmap

I would recommend using the /usr/sbin/portmap in your autorun.sh file. I believe that the /usr file system should be created before the autorun.sh executes. It makes sense that it would.

@Mal and Rudku

I wonder if my using the newer portmap is why I haven't seen any browsing performance issues ? Especially since I am using the one that came w/ the OS that is running on our QNAP. Which one are you both running ?

One last thing. All of you can also give the KNFS in nfs-utils a shot and may love it. It should be marginally faster than UNFS and the differences (that make me prefer UNFS) most likely you will never even come across or notice. Especially if you are running RAID and your storage is one large drive pool being shared. I would definitely recommend KNFS (from nfs-utils) for that setup. Let us know if any of you give that a shot :).

rudku
19-10-09, 12:40
One last thing. All of you can also give the KNFS in nfs-utils a shot and may love it. It should be marginally faster than UNFS and the differences (that make me prefer UNFS) most likely you will never even come across or notice. Especially if you are running RAID and your storage is one large drive pool being shared. I would definitely recommend KNFS (from nfs-utils) for that setup. Let us know if any of you give that a shot :).

Sparkss, plz. can you give a short info how we can easy run KNFS in nfs-utils.
I have installed nfs-utils.
Whatīs about exports file? Isīt the same such as for native QNAP KNFS or such as for UNFS? And the path for exports?

When Iīll have a little time for testing, Iīll add results for KNFS in nfs-utils into my previous tests.

Thanks

Malignant
19-10-09, 16:02
Ok guys here it is.

This is the final version of the UNFS guide for dummie's.

Written by me, and if i can do it with this guide anybody can do it :P
Anyway let me know what you think.
Maybe Hi-Jack will be able to do some visual editing on it so it matches the MPC style.

Was fun doing this thing, learned a lot, and i got a way faster NFS connection to my NAS now.
Thanks everybody for the help and support.

I will be following this thread to help out other people as well ofcourse.

If i got some time maybe i'll dive into Knfs as well.

*** Removed attachement, final version located here : http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23129 ***

Sparkss
19-10-09, 18:56
@Rudku,

There isn't much to it really. I believe that it should use the same exports as either the UNFS or builtin KNFS. If I recall the startup script it will delete anything in /etc/exports and link it to /opt/etc/exports, so just make sure your exports file is in /opt/etc and run the S56 startup script for nfs-utils.

I would kill all running NFS processes (portmap, unfs, etc).
Then make sure there is a populated file @ /opt/etc/exports (that is also backed up elsewhere)
Then run the S56nfs-utils startup script
Check that it exported your file system using showmount. So long as showmount reports that you expect, then it read in the exports file just fine.
Go to your Dune and test. You shouldn't need to change any paths or anything, but you can also verify against what showmount is reporting as being exported.

Let us know how it works out :)

rudku
19-10-09, 23:35
UPDATED
My test results: comparing UNFS, native KNFS by QNAP and KNFS from nfs-utils

Network enviroment
NAS: QNAP TS-509, FW: Version 3.1.1 build 0815T, Network Connection: Port Trunking IEEE 802.3ad
Clients:
- HDi Dune Prime 1.0 with gigabit module (changed to new type in service), FW: 090731_1629_beta
- XBMC (live linux), HTPC based on ION platform, ver:9.10 r23754

Test results HDi Dune (average speeds):
SMB 9,8 MBps
KNFS / native (TCP) 9,4 MBps
KNFS / native (UDP) 9,3 MBps
UNFS (TCP) 8,6 MBps
UNFS (UDP) 16,0 MBps
KNFS / nfs-utils (TCP) 9,4 MBps
KNFS / nfs-utils (UDP) 9,5 MBps

Test results linux XBMC:
I donīt know how I can measure it. Streaming all heavy bitrated movies run smoothly on KernelNFS too.
I tried comparing KernelNFS vs. UNS only with dstat.

KNFS (native QNAP)
/home/xbmc/NAS from 192.168.0.2:/Media
Flags: rw,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,har d,nointr,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec= sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.2,mountvers=3,mountproto=t cp,addr=192.168.0.2

UNFS
Flags: rw,vers=3,rsize=524288,wsize=524288,namlen=255,har d,nointr,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec= sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.2,mountvers=3,mountproto=t cp,addr=192.168.0.2

KNFS (nfs-utils)

KNFS (nfs-utils, Mount With udp parameter)
Flags: rw,vers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,namlen=255,hard,no intr,nolock,proto=udp,timeo=11,retrans=3,sec=sys,m ountaddr=192.168.0.2,mountvers=3,mountproto=udp,ad dr=192.168.0.2

Interesting are different values for rsize/wsize, and that these values are several fold higher such as “standard” range values from 4096 to 32768. Only mount with udp parameter via KNFS (nfs-utils) has these values 8192.
I test stream and then copy the same file from NAS to client with both variant nfs protocols.

The graphs with test results are attached down.

I donīt know, if this methodology of measuring is correct.
Without any my comments, because I donīt know, how these results explain.
I donīt know, which nfs from these three variants is most powerful for streaming media data to mediaplayers.

rudku
19-10-09, 23:45
@Rudku,

There isn't much to it really. I believe that it should use the same exports as either the UNFS or builtin KNFS. If I recall the startup script it will delete anything in /etc/exports and link it to /opt/etc/exports, so just make sure your exports file is in /opt/etc and run the S56 startup script for nfs-utils.

I would kill all running NFS processes (portmap, unfs, etc).
Then make sure there is a populated file @ /opt/etc/exports (that is also backed up elsewhere)
Then run the S56nfs-utils startup script
Check that it exported your file system using showmount. So long as showmount reports that you expect, then it read in the exports file just fine.
Go to your Dune and test. You shouldn't need to change any paths or anything, but you can also verify against what showmount is reporting as being exported.

Let us know how it works out :)

Thanks

I kill the unfs processes, reboot the NAS (no needed, but I have a better feeling :-))
run /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S55portmap
run /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56nfs-utils

no edit the exports file - the same modified for unfs

showmout -e show me the correct mounts

Updated test results are in my previous contribution.

Sparkss
20-10-09, 04:37
Hmmm, I am surprised at the lower nfs-utils numbers. But it does key off of kernel hooks that QNAP compiled for NFS into their kernel, so whatever is impacting the performance of the builtin NFS must be in the kernel and not in their NFS daemon itself. I say that based on the numbers for both KNFS daemons.

Thanks for running through all of those tests Rudku. Definitely good data.

EDIT : BTW, the exports file that we editted for UNFS would almost certainly work with the builtin KNFS, just not the other way around. Trouble is we can't test/prove that since when we enable the builtin KNFS it automatically re-creates/overwrites the exports file :)

Malignant
20-10-09, 08:50
Thank you for your results Rudku.

I think i will leave it with unfs running.
Seeing the Knfs (utils ) results i find them very dissapointing.

I did notice on your first graph you created that there are a lot of speed dips/dropouts in the unfs line. Is this a stability issue with UNFS ?

I am experiencing some audio dropouts, but only when playing HDWMV file's.
The rest now works flawlesly.

Anyway, i wan't to experiment some more as well here.
All the NFS servers tested so far are based on the v3 protocol.
I read that NFS is currently at v4, any servers that run a v4 nfs server ?
I did a google but didn't find anything yet.

rudku
20-10-09, 10:15
I read that NFS is currently at v4, any servers that run a v4 nfs server ?
I did a google but didn't find anything yet.

We have possibility install on QNAP via QPKG (ipkg) only these components for nfs:
(this info was posted in previous contribution by Sparkss)

dstat - 0.6.9-1 - dstat is a versatile replacement for vmstat, iostat, netstat, nfsstat, and ifstat
nfs-server - 2.2beta47-4 - Minimal NFS server without TCP Wrappers (not recommended, use nfs-utils instead)
nfs-utils - 1.1.1-1 - Kernel NFS Server
unfs3 - 0.9.18-1 - Version 3 NFS server (not recommended, use nfs-utils instead)

... any nfs4...

Update: I find some mentions about nfs4 on qnap forum, that nfs4 is implemented in kernel...

rudku
20-10-09, 12:45
Hi boys,

another question about alterantive nfs servers (UNFS, KNFS (nfs-utils)): symlinks
I was looking for solution with symlinks for mediaplayer TviX M6500A in past.
I want stored all movies in one folder on NAS, but on mediaplayer I want see the movie on each folder of genre (filtering according genre).

Symlink solution works well on Samba connection, but no via nfs connection.

Here are some more info about it - this is my request, which I sent to Dvico support:

We have a one problem with Symbolic Links under nfs.
We have created on linux NAS (QNAP) Symbolic Links for “Movie Catalog”
The movies are stored on one place on NAS, but via Movie Catalog created with SymLink – we can see it on many different movie categories.

Example:
- Physically path where is movie stored:
\\Archive\HD_movies\Wanted
- Symlinks into the Movie Catalog (ln -s /path):
\\Movie\Movie_Catalog\Genres\Action\Wanted
\\Movie\Movie_Catalog\Genres\Crime\Wanted
\\Movie\Movie_Catalog\Genres\Thiller\Wanted
Syntax:
ln -s /Archive/HD_movies/Wanted /Movie/Movie_Catalog/Genres/Action/Wanted

We can see one times stored movie on NAS on different Genres folders on TViX.

This feature is great for filtering the media content and working good under the Samba connection on TViX M-6500A.

But under the nfs connection we donīt see any folder, which was created with Symlink (TViX6500 does not see any aliased folders).
Is there something obvious we are missing?
Or is it bug?
Nfs connection is better for streaming HD content – this is a reason for what we are looking for solution.

Works symlinks on alternative nfs server?
Anybody test it?

Sparkss
20-10-09, 16:37
That is why I prefer UNFS over KNFS. You can do symlinks, of a fashion. Use mount --bind instead of ln -s and you will be able to use links to other dirs (viewable throuigh both UNFS and SMB)

Example :

I have a share/mount/directory called Menu :

Menu
--Asian
--Blu-ray
--Kids
--Movies
--Music Videos
--TV

Each one of those potentially has sub dirs also. They all point to media on 3 different drives. Here are the mount commands that I run at strtup (to give an idea of how it is setup and works) :

mount --bind /share/Public/Kids /share/Menu/Kids
mount --bind /share/Public/Kids/1_Movies /share/Menu/Movies/Kids
mount --bind /share/Drive2/Music_Videos /share/Menu/"Music Videos"
mount --bind /share/Drive3/TV /share/Menu/TV
mount --bind /share/Drive2/JDrama /share/Menu/Asian/JDrama
mount --bind /share/Drive2/DVDs /share/Menu/Asian/Movies
mount --bind /share/Drive2/DVDs /share/Menu/Movies/Asian
mount --bind /share/Drive3/Anime /share/Menu/Asian/Anime
mount --bind /share/Drive2/Movies /share/Menu/Movies/Movies
mount --bind /share/external/sdz1 /share/Menu/Blu-ray

Those are not visible when using KNFS though, which is one of the reasons I alluded to that I preferred UNFS. The command basically creates a linkm similar to what ln does, but this one uses the mount daemon (the "linked" dirs will also show up in the output from running the mount command to list all mounts).

mount --bind <target> <dir to mount to>

Unlike the ln, the mount --bind needs the <dir to mount to> to already exist. This is equivalent to the "link name|directory" arguement for ln.

P.S. It took me hours upon hours of hunting and testing a couple of years ago, when we first setup our TviX, to find that command. You would think it would be easier to find, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place.

simi
20-10-09, 18:53
Hello Sparkss
I finally made my autorun.sh work. With this:

cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin
portmap
cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d
./S56unfsd

in my autorun.sh I have the procceses running after reboot. Don't know why this way, but it works.
Best Regards to all of you
Simi

Malignant
20-10-09, 19:48
Hello Sparkss
I finally made my autorun.sh work. With this:

cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin
portmap
cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d
./S56unfsd

in my autorun.sh I have the procceses running after reboot. Don't know why this way, but it works.
Best Regards to all of you
Simi

The process seems pretty much the same as i explained.

The only thing i don't get is why you need to enter the CD command for the NAS to navigate towards the directory.

Maybe this is some kind of software difference between NAS models.

Anyway if it works, it works.

Nice to see you managed it yourself with some experimenting as well.
Always gives you a good feeling if you manage to get things done on your own :)
It raises the level of satisfaction and enjoyment.

Hairston
20-10-09, 21:30
Big thanks for this thread!

I have not done any speed tests, but I can tell you first hand that it makes my Tvix-6500a extremely more responsive. In the past sometimes the NFS connection would timeout and I would have to back down and use a SMB connection. Now I just have a single NFS connection back to my QNAP with no time-out headaches. All my BD structure rips (remuxed) play without a hiccup.

Using a QNAP T-409 Pro (firmware v3.1), TVIX 6500a with latest beta firmware (1.4.25?) with a CAT6 gigabit connection. Couldn't be happier at this point.

Sparkss
20-10-09, 22:08
Glad we could help :)

rudku
21-10-09, 02:30
That is why I prefer UNFS over KNFS. You can do symlinks, of a fashion. Use mount --bind instead of ln -s and you will be able to use links to other dirs (viewable throuigh both UNFS and SMB)

Those are not visible when using KNFS though, which is one of the reasons I alluded to that I preferred UNFS. The command basically creates a linkm similar to what ln does, but this one uses the mount daemon (the "linked" dirs will also show up in the output from running the mount command to list all mounts).

mount --bind <target> <dir to mount to>

Unlike the ln, the mount --bind needs the <dir to mount to> to already exist. This is equivalent to the "link name|directory" arguement for ln.

P.S. It took me hours upon hours of hunting and testing a couple of years ago, when we first setup our TviX, to find that command. You would think it would be easier to find, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place.

little time for tests...

symlinks via command "ln -s" donīt work on any alternative nfs server

your substitution for symlink via command "mount --bind" works for me on UNFS
I tested it on Dune, Tvix and DM800 too.

Itīs good know, that exist alternate solution.
Thanks Sparkss.

But I mean, that this way is more complicated, not easy and userfriendly in nowadays.
Incoming generation of "usable" mediaplayers create own solutions for it.
For example:
- Dune via playlists (dune_folder.txt) - with soft MyMovies you can quickly and easy automatically create Index folder with "filtrated" folders according Genres / Years / Decades / Duration / MPA Class.
- XBMC has Libraries based on database, then you can easy filter or search stored content on NAS on one place

Sparkss
21-10-09, 05:14
I have ours setup somewhat differently than most. All of our BD content is on external HDs that I swap into the eSATA cradle when we want to watch something. Everything else is "static" content. I have far too much BD content to try to host them 24/7. :)

rudku
21-10-09, 14:38
I have ours setup somewhat differently than most. All of our BD content is on external HDs that I swap into the eSATA cradle when we want to watch something.

OK. I understand your effort with mounting external HDDs via nfs now.

Each from us has a own way, which required different access and demands.
Nice is, that we can help us together to find right solution.

I have far too much BD content to try to host them 24/7. :)

... maybe change to 2GB HDDs in our TS-509 help you...
... or TS-809 with 16 TB RAW capacity (8x 2GB HDD)...
... perhaps out of budget or you have a biggest library such as these solutions ...
:)

Sparkss
21-10-09, 18:51
I have 30+ 1 TB drives of BD content. No current technology capable sized drives will help :)

If I really wanted to extend the drive capacity of the TS-509 I would buy another raid cage (like the 8 bay Sans Digitial that I have connected to my PC) and use it to extend the eSATA connection to at least 4 more drives (via it's internal port multiplier, although it has been asked multiple times, I have not seen it answered by QNAP if the std port multipliers are supported or not) :)

rudku
21-10-09, 23:32
I have 30+ 1 TB drives of BD content. No current technology capable sized drives will help :)

If I really wanted to extend the drive capacity of the TS-509 I would buy another raid cage (like the 8 bay Sans Digitial that I have connected to my PC) and use it to extend the eSATA connection to at least 4 more drives (via it's internal port multiplier, although it has been asked multiple times, I have not seen it answered by QNAP if the std port multipliers are supported or not) :)

WOW!

In your case is very difficultly find just right solution.

Maybe, Iīll start thinking, in your position, about building own storage server based on some linux distribution specialized for storage functionality and use, for example, 5U or 9U rackmount chassis like this:
5U = 24-bay
http://www.chenbro.com/assets/2009/04/27/systn2089024750.jpg
http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=146
9U = 50-bay
http://www.chenbro.com/assets/2009/04/27/systn0645775475.jpg
http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=45

... but this is not a home NAS (at least nowadays)...
:-):-):-)

Sparkss
22-10-09, 00:09
The main downsize would be power consumption. Not only in spinning up that many drives, but also counteracting the heat they would generate.

Right now (for the last 2+ years) we have an HTML menu of our collection, with drive locations in addition to the regular data (actors, genre, synopsis, etc). A quick review of the selection for the evening/weekend, 5 mins to rack in a drive into the cradle (i have them stored and organized so it is like pulling a library book), and they we are downstairs watching our content :).

Plus, I sold off our server racks several months ago and greatly reduced the viewable technology footprint here at home :).

rudku
22-10-09, 10:04
The main downsize would be power consumption. Not only in spinning up that many drives, but also counteracting the heat they would generate.

Ya, with this big NAS you can substitute the heating system, but never look into the invoice for electricity (only pay it) :)

I like a QNAP NAS model TS-509, because is home NAS:
- high performance
- quiet (+ spinning the HDDs)
- low power consumption
- design and dimensions suitable for home
- reliability

I tested another models of NAS from QNAP and other producers with 5 and more HDDs bay and I donīt want it at home, because - noisiness and power consumption.
This biggest NAS is possibe use at home only if it have a place for installing outside from living areas (garage, ...).

Right now (for the last 2+ years) we have an HTML menu of our collection, with drive locations in addition to the regular data (actors, genre, synopsis, etc). A quick review of the selection for the evening/weekend, 5 mins to rack in a drive into the cradle (i have them stored and organized so it is like pulling a library book), and they we are downstairs watching our content :).

No current technology capable sized drives will help

Unhappily, I must agree with you.
Your solution is interesting, but we are back with need have a physical library. Only the discs (CD/DVD/BD) are replaced with HDDs.
... but missing some "middleHW"...
Maybe, automatic charger for HDD will be ideal in your HW configuration.
But I never see/read/hear about this type of piece of HW... :-(

rudku
23-10-09, 10:23
...back to the right theme of this thread...

New mediaplayer popCorn C-200 based on new Sigma chip SMP8643 and alternative nsf servers.

from Review PCH C200

Samba is nowhere near the performance we should achieve while NFS does pull the job, but only “just” enough to pass to the next round. There’s something that simply is holding back the unit and Syabas needs to find what that is.

Over NFS we had the best results and it only “just” past the Batman bird scene which is our marker for stating performance wise, it’s doing what it has to do.

Over NFS we had the least issues however there still are some that need to be fixed in playback and full support of the HD Audio / performance etc…

short tests with this unit with latest FW: 02-01-091008-19-POP-408

Samba
... shuttering ....

UNFS
donīt correct work with PCH C200

from Review PCH C200

The network share system is great and one of the things I truly like on the C-200 as it stands out from everyone else. It allows browsing both SMB sources and NFS sources on your network without requiring you to configure anything except the network connection.

I see all nfs shared folders, I can mount it, but when I go inside to this mounts, I see only files in root - any folder

KNFS via nfs-utils
work with PCH C200
I tested with some heavy bitrated BD and no problem.
(auto setting = shuttering; 10M/100M setting = no problem)
... this was only small test, no final result ...

Testing on PCH C200
... testing on this new unit is little bit complicated:
- audio issue - in BD I donīt hear standard Dolby AC3 / HD audio tracks (DTS seems work)
- some BDs donīt play - region lock
- any measuring tools for bitrate speed on mediaplayer
- two possibilities of network card setting: auto and 10M/100M - different results

Next steps
When Iīll have a time for testing, Iīll try compare native QNAP KNFS with KNFS via nfs-utils.
This will only subjective testing.
Iīll try find shuttering passages of movies during streaming from NAS via native KNFS and then test these passages via KNFS - nfs-utils.

Any idea, how I can better test it?

Sparkss
24-10-09, 04:21
well, had portmap crash on us today while we were watching a movie. Don't know if it was some underhanded critics message by the QNAP about the movie, but it was annoying. Took me a bit to figure out what was wrong. Nothing showed up in dmesg, errpt apparently doesn't exist on these (but that may be an AIX thing too, never tried to use it on Linux), unfs showed up in the ps listing, but here is where it got weird. showmount returned nothing, and of course I couldn't connect from our Dune. I also couldn't find portmap in the ps listing, so I restarted it. Then I could see the mounts again w/ showmount.

Go figure.....

There is a way to run it w/o portmap, but you have to assign it a static port. I need to research, but I believe that it would impact if you had multiple NFS connections active at the same time. But I don't know to what extent.

Malignant
24-10-09, 11:32
I found out something i really like about Unfs yesterday.

Normally when using reagular NFS and FTP'ing to the unit, FTP got prio in my setup wich resulted in not being able to stream when FTPing to the Qnap.

Yesterday i tried this when using UNFS and to my supprise the UNFS client gets priority and just caps FTP speeds.

I ended up watching a movie stream with 15mpbs and FTPing @ 14Mbps to the unit.
That is something i really like

rudku
03-11-09, 22:09
Hi all,

I switch back to native KNFS by QNAP and tested Popcorn C-200 with playing high bitrated movies - mainly BD rips and m2ts.

... and no problem, I donīt find shuttering during streaming from NAS on any of my test movies (if movie start playing...)

I donīt comment this "premature" mediaplayer, you can find all issues in other threads.

All my tests was with latest oficial FW: 02-01-091008-19-POP-408
Syabas publish new internal betas: 02-01-091022-19-POP-408 BETA1 and 02-01-091030-19-POP-408 BETA2, where interesting for this thread is these points:

8. Network
- Samba improvements
- NFS improvements

My short conclusion:
- mediaplayers builded on Sigma chip SMP864x has a big potential (no problems with streaming highest bitrate content from NAS, including BD rips), but we must wait for repairing all bugs in drivers and SDK from Sigma
- according our many years experience with Sigma chips, I hope, that their fix main issues to the Spring next year ... :-(

PS:
@Hi-Jack
Please, in which certain movie about Batman is your testing passage "Bird Scene"?
Is this BD rip?

EDIT: All tests was with QNAP FW:3.1.1. (Samsung HDDs).

Sparkss
03-11-09, 22:18
unfortunately the built in still doesn't support any sort of symbolic links, so I will be sticking w/ UNFS for the foreseeable future :). But if the built in KNFS starts trumping UNFS for speed, then I might look at rearranging our setup to acccomodate that one shortcoming of KNFS (the links).

I also just updated our QNAP FW to 3.1.2, so that may resolve the minor issues I saw w/ stability (that I did not necessarily blame on the UNFSD). I say it may resolve since we do run WD drives and some of what they reported aligned with behavior I had seen. Just mentioning it to "clear" my previous comments in this thread :)

Malignant
04-11-09, 08:49
@Rudku :

Wich speeds are you getting when using a SMP864x based player ?
Please report for both built-in NFS & UNFSD

Currently waiting for my new Dune and i want something to look forward to :)

@Sparkss :
The Qnap update only fixes some minor bugs with NCQ when using WD drives.
Personally i have never experienced problems with my WD Eco drives.
I had one die on me within 6 months but that warranty and has nothing to do with FW.

rudku
04-11-09, 14:10
@Malignant:
How?
... any tool or function for measuring speeds on C-200...

as I wrote here:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165340&postcount=69
I can only do subjective testing - streaming heavy bitrated content and looking for shuttering.
Any other idea?

About QNAP FW:3.1.2.
Iīm still on 3.1.1. because I donīt find any improve for me in changelog.

rudku
04-11-09, 20:19
Another things about nfs: QNAP vs. TviX

NAS QNAP TS-109 PRO II, FW: 3.1.0 build 0708T
TviX M-6500A, FWs: 1.4.26 and 1.5.10

- problem with connection via nfs

TviX firmware:
- no connection via QNAP "short" path: "Media"
- working connection via full path: "/share/HDA_DATA/Media"
- no connection via QNAP "short" path: "Media"
- no connection via full path: "/share/HDA_DATA/Media"

but I read many reports from user (on this and QNAP forum too) that they have a problem with nfs connection after upgrade NAS to v3.1.0

I never play with nfs on this NAS - standard settings with native QNAP KNFS.

I hope, that downgrade to lower version of FW helps users solve this issue (on both sides: NAS and mediaplayers too)

... or they may try play with alternative nfs servers (UNFS and KNFS via nfs-utils) :-)

EDIT: Tested with TS-509 PRO (3.1.1) and latest TviX FW (1.5.10) - and nfs is working (native KNFS)

Sparkss
04-11-09, 20:20
I know the main fix in 3.1.2 is NCQ for WD drives. What I meant was that I cannot say for sure that my NFS instability wasn't related to the drives momentarily going offline (the portmap crashing and at least one other "freeze" while watching video since then). At the time I looked everywhere, even checked the status of the drives, but hadn't checked the logs for drive mount/unmount activity, since it hadn't occurred to me then. If I still have problems, then I will know it wasn't the drives/NCQ causing my problem. But worth the FW upgrade to find out :).

clodorud
05-11-09, 03:29
I don't have any issues streaming to any player (usually the player is the weaker and least performant part) so I wonder what the benefit is of installing this in addition of the default NFS on a server whan it cannot be applied on the media player...

Sparkss
05-11-09, 04:02
...so I wonder what the benefit is of installing this in addition of the default NFS on a server whan it cannot be applied on the media player...

I suggest that you read the whole thread, paying close attention to the performance reports of the various NFSDs. I think that will provide you your answer, but as with all things, YMMV

EDIT : Oh, and welcome to MPC. We are honored that your very first post was in our little thread here :)

Malignant
05-11-09, 18:36
Okay, finnally got my order in for the Dune 3.0 model.

I expect to get it somewhere next week so time to play around again :)
Will post the different NFS results here a.s.a.p.

Really exited about how the new sigma chip will perform.
I feel like a little kid again who sees his presents beneath a christmas tree :)

rudku
05-11-09, 19:06
Okay, finnally got my order in for the Dune 3.0 model.

I expect to get it somewhere next week so time to play around again :)
Will post the different NFS results here a.s.a.p.

Really exited about how the new sigma chip will perform.
I feel like a little kid again who sees his presents beneath a christmas tree :)

... Iīm worried that Dune 3.0 will be in premature stage for long time, such as Popcorn C-200 ... :-(

... and any producers (Syabas, HDi) cannīt change it...
... only waiting for Sigma ...
... sad to say, alternative way bypass Sigma (Dvico with TviX 6500), isnīt right

... but Iīll happy, when Iīm wrong ...

Malignant
05-11-09, 19:45
It's true that the latest Sigma SDK is very immature for now.
And i do believe that the new players will suffer from that.

But i have faith in the way that HDI implemented everything.
They delivered a very nice release FW when i bought my 1.0 model.

And the current 1.0 FW is very nice ( not finished, but nice ) and i believe they will have the same features with the new model as well.

Their 3.0 FW is built up onwards from the 1.0 version they stated.
But we will see, and only time will tell

rudku
05-11-09, 20:37
It's true that the latest Sigma SDK is very immature for now.
And i do believe that the new players will suffer from that.

... after testing C-200, I donīt believe it ...

But i have faith in the way that HDI implemented everything.
They delivered a very nice release FW when i bought my 1.0 model.

And the current 1.0 FW is very nice ( not finished, but nice ) and i believe they will have the same features with the new model as well.

... I agree with you, but I must noticed that:
- initial FWs has many bugs
- latest FW (beta) was published after cca. 8 months from launch ...

Their 3.0 FW is built up onwards from the 1.0 version they stated.

... Syabas continue on previous developing on SIgma too...

So everything need a time and we must be patient
... and after this weīll have a no-problematic streaming HD content with highest possible quality (BD)...

Sparkss
08-11-09, 19:53
Oh intersting note on the QNAP. I had upgraded our 509 to the latet 3.1.2 FW and had major stability/streaming issues. It would periodically freeze/drop the drives (which is what it was supposed to fix, not cause more of), so I downgraded back to 3.1.1. Now I can't get UNFS to load/run. It doesn't report any errors but it isn't exporting any file systems. Since our Dune 1.0 won't play BDs properly at this time (until I can get it to HDI for warranty), I have just been using Samba for the rest of the content (mkvs, TV episodes, etc). If I finally get our 1.0 fixed, a new 3.0, or some movie that I jsut can't wait to watch, then I will dig into the whys and what fors. I would suspect that some setting from the 3.1.2 FW lingered and is goofing up UNFS on 3.1.1. I really don't want to reset the whole thing, but I may have to. I have read horror stories about losing all data on the drives, etc (which doesn't sound like a very mature process on the QNAP side). So for many reasons that will be my last resort, and hopefully one I won't have to go with.

Ironically, theoretically the SMBD and KNFSD speeds should be more than enough to stream BDMV (but not an iso). 9 MB/s == 72 Mb/s and the BD spec tops out at 54 Mb/s, or somewhere around there, if I recall correctly. But there have been plenty of postings about stuttering playback on some BDs, so for some reason that math doesn't hold up, probably having to do with the overhead at the player (although that should affect Samba, but not KNFS so much).

Going to play around a little later this week and see what I come up with. Just thought I would check in and share :)

rudku
08-11-09, 21:59
... not good hear about your problems ...
... sad to say, not only you - Hi-Jack and many others have problems after update to 3.1.2 too....

I hope thatīs only temporary issue with WD drives
I remember similar issue with first 1,5TB Seagate drives. I had about 30 pieces, but I gave it back and take rather 1TB RAID Samsung. And after some months I built QNAP NAS with 1,5TB Seagate drives, which runs without any problem (some updates of FW on Seagate and QNAP sides).

QNAP working on big upgrade - 3.2.0, with many changes, now:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=21328
But I hope, that they release version 3.1.3, with fixes for these problems.

And about your problems with playing BDs. Itīs no about transfer speeds.
Maybe the mediaplayers based on Sigma 863x never will polished it.
My tests with C-200 shows that mediaplayers based on Sigma 864x, has a big potential, solve it.

Sparkss
09-11-09, 00:07
Thanks for the heads up and the link. This fix jumps out at me :

- Fixed copying using Windows Explorer may cause NAS system unstable in conjunction with EXT4 file system

That sounds alot like what I was seeing. If/when copying a bunch of files over while the wife/daughter was watching something on the media player both of us would experience an interruption of connetivity. The file copy would recover after a couple of seconds (it would stall, the estimated time would jump up to minutes, then a short while later it woudl start moving again and the est time would drop back to seconds and then finish). The Dune player never recovers and would have to be rebooted, after which everything would be fine. There was never anything in the system logs to give an indication what the heck happened. I am 80% sure that at least one of those occurrences had me copying to Drive4 while they were playing from Drive1, so it wasn't even like we were readying and writing to the same physical drive (and I do not use RAID, but have each drive set up as individual volumes).

As for my UNFS problem, I was able to get ti working again w/o took much trouble. The behavior was very similar to when portmap had cored on me that one time, so I started looking at it. I also knew that portmap had a set of files to control access that consisted of a list of hosts to allow and deny. This supercedes the IP filters in our exports file. But they are normally maintained in a file system that is volatile. Since I never had to mess with them before I wanted to find my solution w/o adding additional manual startup scripting. I suspected that those files got created when the builtin KNFSD was enabled, and it looks like I was right. The short answer is that I enabled, checked and then disabled the builtin KNFSD. After that UNFSD worked perfectly. In the past those files appear to have been persistent across reboots, hopefully that will still hold true. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I can't wait for our Dune 3.0 to arrive. We have pre-ordered from a US online vendor with an ETA of the last week in Nov for them to arrive (at the vendor). So hopefully the first of December we will have ours (hopefully.. but I know how these things work, so if we get it before Christmas I will be happy :)). And also hopeful that it will resolve all of the problems we have been having w/ playback (in general...not necessarily related to our hardware warranty issue).

RPO
09-11-09, 17:03
Hi guys,

First of all big thanks to everyone involved in getting this to work, even for people like me (yes, the manual for dummies was aimed at me..).
I am having some problems with getting the autorun file to work, and think that some problems I had earlier in the installation have something to do with this.
My set-up: QNAP TS409 pro with 3 HD's all as seperate drives-> Dune HD Centre 1.0.

I managed to install Optware, Putty etc. Installation of IPKG went by the book.

Editing the exports went well too, they look like this now:
/share/HDB_DATA/FilmsAM 192.168.2.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDC_DATA/FilmsNZ 192.168.2.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDA_DATA/Muziek 192.168.2.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDA_DATA/Public 192.168.2.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)

Problems start when I need to modify the S56 script. If I use these lines:

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/MD0_DATA/opt/etc/exports

I get an error :
/opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd: line 9: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd: No such file or directory

If I change MD0 for HDA I don't get an error message, just a new command line. If I then do "showmount -e" it says : "Export list for TS409" with nothing after it.... No exports, I guess.

When I use these two lines for editing the S56 file:

#/opt/sbin/unfsd

and start the program + ask for showmount it shows my shares as listed above.

With these last two lines in the S56 file the NFS server works, I disabled the QNAP one and tested with the Dune, getting 14MBs (used to get 9). Only the Transormers2 BD ISO with DTS MA has small hiccups when I press the info button.

Anybody got any idea what I am doing wrong? I guess, seeing that part of the edited S56 file is repeated in the autostart file, this has something to do with it.

rudku
09-11-09, 18:42
Hi RPO,

...you must find the correct path in your sytem...
"MD0_DATA" is path for RAID system settings
your path will be, probably, the "HDA_DATA"
Pls., check it on your system, best way - via winscp.
you must store exports file somewhere, and in S56 script you must enter correct path to this file.

Sparkss
09-11-09, 19:02
One quick comment, since I have seen a couple of people trip over this. In the script (any shell script) any line that starts w/ a '#' is a comment. That means that the system does not interpret that line, but skips it completely. It is to allow notes and comments from the programmer to help anyone else down the road (or the original programmer even) when/if any changes are needed. I am the one who provided those "last two lines", but in reality they are just 1 line that has been changed. Whenever I alter a line in a script I like to copy it, comment out the original and alter the copied line. That way if I goof something up, or jsut need to go back to the original line for whatever reason, it is easy enough to do. I just delete or comment out (add a '#' to the start of it, sometimes also referred to as "pounding it out") and uncomment the original line. Then I am instantly back to the original code/script.

I hope that this helps to explain things a little bit about the general contents of the script(s).

Now, about the problem itself. As rudku pointed out, since you are running individual volumes instead of RAID, your paths will have HDA_DATA, HDB_DATA, etc (which is how I do it also). Make sure to update both the path to the unfsd binary AND the path to the exports file :).

One other thing is that when I run the command to start the UNFS Daemon, it returns no errors, but I still cannot see any file systems exported (w/ showmount), it has been my portmap process more times than it has been anything else. Are you calling portmap in your autorun file ? When you have this happen :

If I change MD0 for HDA I don't get an error message, just a new command line. If I then do "showmount -e" it says : "Export list for TS409" with nothing after it.... No exports, I guess.

try just executing portmap then try showmount again. You should be able to just type in 'portmap' and hit enter. You can also check by running 'ps -aef | grep portmap' and see if anything show up in the output (aside from the grep line itself showing up in the process list).

RPO
09-11-09, 21:49
Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. Also thank for the tip about "#", good to know.
I used winscp to check the files on the TS409 (also good tip, was wondering what was on it). I can navigate to the file where the edited shares are ( /opt/etc/exports ).

I can also find the S56 script in "/opt/etc/init.d", but in "init.d" I find both "S56unfsd" and "S56unfsd~".
The one without "~" has the line "/opt/sbin/unfsd -e /opt/etc/exports"
The one with "~" has "/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/HDA_DATA/opt/etc/exports

Should there be two of these files? I can't help having a bad feeling about this.

Could you also maybe explain some more about this line?
"share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/HDA_DATA/opt/etc/exports"

I can find the file the line starts with (share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd ) , but I am unsure about the second part (/share/HDA_DATA/opt/etc/exports).
Within the HDA_DATA folder I don't have (or am too stupid to find) the "opt" folder.
Does this signify something?

Again, thaks for your patience. A week ago I had no idea what the people in this thread were talking about. Now, with the small amount of knowledge I gained I am even more dangerous :-), but enjoying it.
@Sparkss: I forgot to mention in my previous post that I did portmap before trying showmount. I guessed you should do portmap everytime you messed with the S56 script.

Sparkss
09-11-09, 22:11
Starting with the last question first, no, you shouldn't need to re-run portmap every time you restart UNFS. You should only need it after a reboot (which I mentioned because you were talking about your autorun file, which is only called on a reboot).

The "second part" as you call it is the exports file. As was mentioned in the original post the -e option allows one to specify an exports file (I forget which forum I made it on, but I am pretty sure it made it's way over to here too). If you leave off the -e it will use the default location of /etc/exports (or maybe it was /opt/etc/exports, I forget now). I had recommended changing this location to "protect" your customized exports file, but had always stated that it was personal preference as to where to keep it and whether or not to use the -e flag at all. Again though, it is highly recommended to do so, and when calling it from the autorun file you may well be required to use it since the normal links are not all setup yet so the default location may not be linked at that point of the startup. Now, to address your particular concern there are two possible answers. Since I have not been following this thread 100%, but just checking in to answer questions, I am not sure which one is relevant for you.

1. It was decided to make a separate directory structure to house the updated exports file, in which case you need to mkdir that directory structure and copy your exports file into there.
2. Much more likely is that you are simply pointing to the wrong location, since you mention that using -e /opt/etc/exports works for you. Try using this path in your autorun file : /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports. I am in the middle of something at work but will try to post an explanation for you later on so that you know why, and also how I determined the correct path.

Lastly (or firstly since I went in reverse order) the tilde '~' usually indicates a history for a file that is being editted. If whatever you were using to edit the script didn't exit properly then that ~ file did't get cleaned up. The only file the system will look at is the one you call, and you are calling the base file, so the ~ one should have no bearing.

rudku
10-11-09, 01:32
...Iīm trying make clear it...

RAID systems:
"/opt" - folder in root directory is symlink to "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware"
then correct line in S56unfsd script will be, if you store modified exports file to "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc":

itīs the same such as this record, but I mean that is better tell the system a full path:

Systems with single volume disks:
"/opt" - folder in root directory is symlink to "/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware"
then correct line in S56unfsd script will be, if you store modified exports file to "/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc":

/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports

itīs the same such as this record:

Maybe the line with syntax:
is universal and independent from configuration of NAS.
We must test it.

EDIT: Tested - this syntax is not working. Required is syntax with full path. See above.

If you store the modified exports file, for example, to folder /var, then your correct line will be:
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /var/exports

Notice under that line:
How is it for system without installed QPKG?
Systems with single volume disks without installed QPKG
"/opt" - folder in root directory is not symlink to "/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg"
- Itīs regular folder

Sparkss
10-11-09, 01:52
You are correct. The main thing being that the /opt symlink doesn't exist at the time the autorun script is executed (based on feedback from others trying to set this up in their autorun file and needing to use the full path).

Using symbolic links to mask underlying file system and/or directory differences across systems is a pretty common use, so you are correct about it being a "universal" command, but again, that link doesn't exist until towards the end of the boot process.

And you would never have UNFSD on a system w/o Optware installed, as it all comes down w/ QPkg, which requires optware IIRC. Although you might be able to set it all up manaually, but if you can manage that, then you surely wouldn't need us to help with any quesitons :D. That is also another example of how symbolic links are used to mask the underlying file system differences :).

Malignant
10-11-09, 08:45
Like i stated in the Dunny Guide.

You MUST use full path names.
Personally i prefer the full path names as well, symlinks are nice but you have no idea what you are pointing to and where it is.

If you want to "SEE" how symlinks work just download WinSCP.

Connect to your NAS via WinSCP and you will get a nice FTP style layout screen.
In this screen you can see icons with the little "arrow" that windows shortcuts use in the bottom left corner.

If you click one of those icons you will be linked to the directory, and the FULL pathname is visible on the right side screen, blue bar almost at the top of the screen.

Just connect to WinSCP and browse around a bit until you find all the correct full dir names and then edit your script.
Should be a breeze, and if it doesn't work you know where to find us :)

rudku
10-11-09, 15:29
Question about nfs in upcoming QNAP firmware v3.2.0

This new beta firmware is based on a new linux kernel v2.6.30.
Do somebody know something about implementation of nfs in this kernel?
Or somebody has real testing this new beta FW?

This beta FW is not published for model TS109 Pro II, then I cannot test it :-(

Sparkss
10-11-09, 18:43
the KNFS may be configured differently, but there isn't much to change about NFS. I don't think a new version has come out for some time, unless they move to NFS4. I had asked earlier and they stated that it was NFS3, even though I saw an NFS4 process when I had the builtin KNFSD running, so who knows ?

Either way the UNFS will still work, and since I need the links for our media sharing, I will be sticking with it for now.

I am now up in the air about it all since I am having troubles w/ our Dune. After all of the FW flash problems (the FW would get corrupted and I would have to "recover" on a regular basis) and now it won't even turn on. HDI has been giving me the run around, and then ignoring me, for the last 2 months, give or take. Now they are saying that they don't remember my situaiton or what I am talking about, even though there is a thread here on MPC where their dev did his best to troubleshoot through the forum (but we all know you really can't troubleshoot HW issues remotely, but kudos to him for trying), but now we are w/o a media player and need to find a way to ship back overseas (I am US based). Sorry for the rant, but w/ our NAS being basically useless now (it was almost exclusively for streaming to a now useless media player) I am fighting to not just lose interest. :(. But I also now have no way to test anything for performance or connectivity.

rudku
10-11-09, 19:34
Hi Sparkss,

I keep fingers crossed to you.
I had a similar problem with Dune 1.0 ordered via mpc buy-in action.
(Gigabit card issue, HDMI connection issue).
3 months I tried communicate with divxplayer.nl - ignored me (and not only me).
I tried asking Hi-Jack for help, and he helps me open the communication with Paul.
I sent a damaged unit - and again - 3 months of silence - any answer to my emails.
Itīs not easy be patient...

... now I have a repaired unit back - no problem with gigabit card, HDMI connection + 2GB RAM inside the Dune...
Please, try asking Hi-Jack for help with your Dune 1.0.

Iīm worried about Dune 3.0.
Iīm again into the next crazy ride, and I saw that U2.
My new toy is on the way now.

You must agree that we are the pioneers :-(

rudku
10-11-09, 19:50
About changes with nfs in linux kernel

QNAP TS-109 Pro II, FW: 3.1.0 has kernel 2.6.12.6-arm1
QNAP TS-119, FW: 3.1.1 has kernel 2.6.22.18
QNAP TS-519 Pro, FW: 3.1.1 has kernel 2.6.24
(you can check it in your system with command "uname -a")

I find changelogs in linux kernels:
... for example here: http://www.cvut-cz.lkams.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/
... and here are a many small changes, fixes with nfs, nfsd, nsfv4 almost each second changelog...
... interesting reading ...
... then each model of NAS / FW of NAS can has implemented different version of KNFS?

The question is, if QNAP use only pure nfs via kernel, or they use some patch for it...

RPO
10-11-09, 23:00
I checked my 409pro and it has "TS409 2.6.21.1".
Just FYI, of course.
Thanks for all the extra info on my question, I'll have to find time to experiment some more.

rudku
11-11-09, 14:19
I tried confirm my theory, that each model of NAS / FW of NAS can has implemented different version of KNFS (native Qnap nfs).

I wrote about non-working KNFS in NAS QNAP TS-109 PRO II, FW: 3.1.0 build 0708T with client TviX M-6500A, FW: 1.5.10 in this post:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166267&postcount=76

I test install and run on NAS KNFS via nfs-utils.

... and works with TviX M-6500A without any problem now....

So, I think, that if QNAP donīt use any patches for nfs, nfs implemetation in each firmware of NAS is different - according fixes/changes in actual used linux kernel.

What do you thinking about it?

Malignant
12-11-09, 08:51
Well, finally got my 3.0 unit set up last night and had some time to fool around with it.

So far getting a bit dissapointing results with UNFS compared to my 1.0 unit.

When set to TCP over Gbit is clocks in at around 8.5Mbps.
But this was the same with my 1.0 unit.

When set to UDP over Gbit it maxes out at approx. 12Mbps i've seen so far.
That's 4Mpbs less than the 1.0 unit.
I was expecting a bit more since it's a faster Sigma chip.
But i think this can be blaimed mainly on the current state of the FW & Gbit support by Sigma.
New SDK is not as far developed as it was for the 1.0 unit.
So with new FW's i expect speeds to go up.

As far as playback concers the 12Mbps is more than enough.
Threw every filetype at it and all play back flawless.

Also noticed that the responsiveness i lost on my 1.0 unit when switching to UNFS is now gone. The 3.0 unit loads directory layouts lightning fast. It's a real joy playing around with such a fast player.

Will try to post some KNFS results this weekend when i got the time.

Need to do some experimenting to verify my drive plays everything first.

rudku
14-11-09, 16:38
Hi guys,

... my first speed tests with HDi Dune 3.0 ...

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/Dune30_tests.jpg

Playing BD rips from poorly NAS
Itīs wonderful: with the power of Sigma chip 8642 + the “accelerator” feature implemented by HDi on the Dune, itīs possible playing BD rips from poorly NAS (= QNAP TS-109 PRO II) via Samba connection!!!
I tested BDrip with max. 48Mbps (= 6MB/s) and plays flawlessly.

I tested playing the sample file bird110.mkv (=110Mbps) on QNAP NAS TS-509 PRO via KNFS (nfs-utils) TCP - any problem.

Review HDi BD Prime 3.0
GBIT performance Cabled Network
While we failed to get an IP address over DHCP previously, we decided to try again enabling the gbit network in both DHCP or Fixed IP mode.
While DHCP still could not connect to the player properly, we managed to enter IP details manually however resulted still in failing to use the player in GBIT mode replying to a ping but stating “destination host unreachable”. This has nothing to do with the cable as far as I am concerned.
Would be interesting to measure the same performance over GBIT and see if at all it yields any benefits.

If I remember, Hi-Jack has Netgear switch too. Seems, that I have same problem in network with Netgear switch with 1Gbit setting. With HP switch were the tests results similar such as in 10/100 Mbit mode. Iīll try test and confirm, if itīs a bug (Experimental 1Gbit Enabled on Dune with Netgear Smart switches).

Conclusion
Dune 3.0 is nice piece of HW and itīs usable from initial version of firmware.
Iīm glad, that my presumption about Dune 3.0, after testing Popcorn C-200, was not confirmed.
We are on starting line, and I hope that HDi solve in future many minor issues + add some needed additional functionality, and the Dune 3.0 will be ideal networked mediaplayer (for which we are looking for many years).

rudku
15-11-09, 03:04
Updated table:

1) I add test results with Dune 1.0 on Gigabit network - we can compare it now.

2) I changed network settings on NAS for Port Trunking: from IEEE 802.3ad to Actve Backup (Fail Over).

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/Dune30_tests2.jpg

Malignant
15-11-09, 13:04
Nice table Rudku.
Thank you for providing that info.

Find the results a bit strange tho.
I get much better results on Gbit with UNFS & Native NFS than posted above here.
Like i said UNFS UDP clocks in at ~12Mbps for me.
Gbit network / Cat6E / Linksys switch.

If i have some time i will try to get a nice table together as well.

rudku
16-11-09, 12:11
Updated table:

1) Added some test results: QNAP TS-509 (Port Trunking: Actve Backup (Fail Over) on smart switch HP (1Gb).

2) Added network status of connection Dune 3.0 on all test. Checked directly on web-administration of Smart switch (FDX = full duplex, HDX = half duplex)

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/Dune30_tests3.jpg

AndreyN
21-11-09, 16:56
Hello!
I have Qnap TS-109. It hasn't NFS. So I want to install UNFS. But there is trouble! How can I create a “new” exports file needed for unfs to create it’s shares by using the exports file from the Qnap NFS service as a base? There is No NFS service in TS-109! :confused:
So, please, help me to create exports file :(

Sparkss
23-11-09, 01:12
AndreyN,

I am a "teach a man to fish" kind of guy, so I am going to point you in the direction and leave it up to you if you follow.

There was talk about setting up a new exports file from scratch earlier on in this thread. It was only suggested to use the existing one and modify it to make thigns easier. So my first suggestion is to read up in this thread. I know that it isn't short, but it also isn't that long. My second suggestion is to read up online in general. There are literally thousands of web pages about NFS (and exports files). If you can't glean what you need from this thread then I suggest that google is your friend. One thing I will tell you (just reiterating what was stated a couple of times in this thread) is that your exports file will depend on our hard drive mounts/mapping, and that will depend on if you use RAID or not.

Lastly, if you are posting asking for assistance in creating an exports file I would certainly hope that you already have installed UNFS and just couldn't get it to export. So post what your current, not working, exports file looks like and we can help getting it to work.

AndreyN
28-11-09, 11:29
Hi! I've successfully installed UNFS! But don't get my Dune Base 3.0 yet. It came to Russia at the begining of December. So I can't test how UNFS works. I just installed Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5. But I can't to enter UNFS share because of fault authentification. It says that netname not found or don't have enough rules. What I've done wrong. How can I change rules for UNFS to get access by anonymous?

Malignant
28-11-09, 13:14
UNFS sets up an anonymous connection, no need for a password there.

I think you are pointing towards a wrong directory from windows.

I have no idea what your exports file looks like but you need to point windows towards the exact same directory as in your exports file or else it won't word.

i.e. on a raid setup it is "/share/MD0_DATA/***shared folder name***"
on a normal disk setup is is "/share/HDA_DATA/***shared folder name***"

AndreyN
28-11-09, 13:27
Maybe my windows nfs-client works bad... And what windows nfs-clients do you use?

ShadoFF
30-11-09, 10:57
Maybe try disabling jumbo ;)

remko3dl
06-12-09, 23:41
First of all many thanks to rudku, Sparkss and Malignant!

I finally have sufficient speed to watch all my BD-backups!
The "dummie" manual provided by Malignant got me started but I did need this Thread to get it al working including the autostart.
It took me the better part of the Sunday but now it's working and I'm happy!

Test result with Dune BD Prime and TS-509 Pro:
KNFS (UDP) 9,3 MBps
UNFS (UDP) 16 MBps

Malignant
07-12-09, 08:54
Glad we all could be of some help to you.
That's what this forum is for :)

And if you have any questions left please do post them here so we can all pitch in for a solution.

dikkiedirk
09-12-09, 19:16
Id love to try this too! I got a TS-639. But I am a clompete noob when it comes to this. Is there a simple step by step guide to install this.

I have created a NFS share called media at the moment. And also public is shared to my M6500A and Mede8er. How do i share these? Is it possible to make a config file so this UNFs will be autostarted when rebooting the TS-639.

How do I get this QPKG package and how do Ï install this with the new V3 Ajax firmware?

dikkiedirk
09-12-09, 19:40
Like i stated in the Dunny Guide.

)

Wher is this Dunny guide?

remko3dl
09-12-09, 20:24
Wher is this Dunny guide?

Maybe you can search this thread? ;)

dikkiedirk
09-12-09, 23:44
Maybe you can search this thread? ;)

yes, sorry. i found it.

dikkiedirk
10-12-09, 15:48
hi everyone,

Is the IPKG package also available for the TS-639. Or is installing QPKG packages broken in V3 firmware?

When I click GET QPKS in the QPKG Plugins Tab a screen opens op saying:

Sorry, QPKG information is not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To install QPKG, go to "System Update" and click "Browse…" to select the QPKG file. Then click "Update System".

But I cant find "System Update" let alone "Update System"

So is ther another way to install this now on the TS-639 with V3 fw?

Sparkss
10-12-09, 18:58
That is more a question for the QNAP forums. Did you do a search or ask in the TS-639 firmware thread ? I don't have one so I am afraid I couldn't tell you, but you should be able to find your answers over there.

dikkiedirk
10-12-09, 20:44
So far I have been able to install everything and i followed the Dummie guide.

I have edited the exports file and installed the nfs-utils and nfsd.

I also started the unfs demon but showmount -e doesnt show any exports

What should a working S56unfsd file look like?

remko3dl
11-12-09, 00:02
So far I have been able to install everything and i followed the Dummie guide.

I have edited the exports file and installed the nfs-utils and nfsd.

I also started the unfs demon but showmount -e doesnt show any exports

What should a working S56unfsd file look like?

My S56unfsd looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

killall unfsd 2>/dev/null fi

sleep 2

Hope this helps!

Malignant
11-12-09, 09:02
First of all let's do some cleaning on your S56 file.
Make it look like this :

#!/bin/sh

sleep 2

This part is pretty useless since all it does is navigate to the directory and then list the contents of the file. This is not needed in any way. Just leave it out.

#!/bin/sh

This part checks if there is a client running already.
If there is it kills it. If it isn't it doesn't do anything.
Not needed but it is nice to have this check running before starting the service since it can tackle some problems you may encounter if there is some redundant process left running.

sleep 2

This part of the script runs the UNFS server and points out towards the exports file.
Please double check if you are pointing towards the right dir for your exports file.

Also something to keep in mind, you MUST run the portmap command BEFORE running the S56unfsd script. I think that is where your problem is.

You MUST use the following order:

Portmap
S56unfsd script
showmount -e

Hope this helps you out, because so far i can't see anything else that is wrong.

If it still doesn't work please post your exports file here as well.

dikkiedirk
11-12-09, 11:37
Thank you guys!

I got it working now. Made a small typo and forgot to delete a " in de exports file.
the M6500A is connected to one of the shares and some MKV files that first played lousy now play great. Havent had luck playing a BD rip though: it plays very choppy without sound. Its the Talking Head Blu Ray rip Stop Making Sense with DTS-HD MA soundtrack. Mayb I am asking too much. It plays ok from internal harddisk though.

The bird-scene mkv also has some major drop-outs and hiccups.

dikkiedirk
11-12-09, 12:51
UPDATED
My test results: comparing UNFS, native KNFS by QNAP and KNFS from nfs-utils

Network enviroment

Is this port trunking enabled on the QNAP? Do you need special connection to router i.e. 2 network cables? What router do u use? Do you need port trunking enabled on this as well?

rudku
11-12-09, 14:11
Is this port trunking enabled on the QNAP? Do you need special connection to router i.e. 2 network cables? What router do u use? Do you need port trunking enabled on this as well?

- 1Gb smart switch with support of port aggregation: 802.3ad (LACP)
- physically reconnect NAS with switch 2 same cable min. CAT. 5e, better Cat. 6
- setting port trunking on NAS side (web administration)
- setting port trunking on switch side (web administration)
- checking correction of setting on NAS (same HWaddr of bond0, eth0 and eth1)
- checking correction of setting on switch + NAS (the number of RX packets, TX packets, RX bytes and TX bytes of bond0, eth0 and eth1 should be: bond0 = eth0 + eth1)

Thatīs all :-)

If you better look on my test results in my latest table:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21484&page=11
port trunking setup donīt have an affect on streaming speeds.

Port aggregation, according QNAP people, has point on higher load from 2 and more clients connected to NAS.

dikkiedirk
11-12-09, 14:37
Is any of you able to stream a BD rip with HD Audio and play it without drop-outs or hiccups on the M6500A at all? What setup and firmware u use then?

Is there a way to switch between TCP and UDP on the M6500A?

Malignant
11-12-09, 16:20
Strange, it should be working properly.

With UNFS you will get the highest speeds possible so far.
In most cases it maxes out the 100mbit connection of players with virtually no overhead.

And BR specs allow for a Max transfer of 65 mbit ( approx 40mbit video / 25mbit DTS-MA )
Note that the 25mbit is the highest transfer rate allowed in the DTS-MA spec, in most cases so far it never reaches the 25mbit mark so don't worry about that.

I have no M6500 to support you any further since i'm a dune user.
Sorry about that

dikkiedirk
11-12-09, 16:30
Strange, it should be working properly.

With UNFS you will get the highest speeds possible so far.
In most cases it maxes out the 100mbit connection of players with virtually no overhead.

And BR specs allow for a Max transfer of 65 mbit ( approx 40mbit video / 25mbit DTS-MA )
Note that the 25mbit is the highest transfer rate allowed in the DTS-MA spec, in most cases so far it never reaches the 25mbit mark so don't worry about that.

I have no M6500 to support you any further since i'm a dune user.
Sorry about that

Thank Mal, you have been a great help so far. I guess there isnt really very much to configure. And nothing much to tweak. What NAS are u using? Im on a TS-639.

Maybe some of the other member using a M6500A can help me?

The Mede8er doesnt do any better on the bird-scene btw.

dikkiedirk
11-12-09, 17:32
I guess its all the M6500A can do, chip just not powerfull enough?

I hope to get a Dune Base 3.0 real soon

quatim
11-12-09, 18:05
Itīs working with these mediaplayers: TviX M6500-A, HDi Dune Prime 1.0 and HD satellite receiver Dreambox DM800 too.

dikkiedirk
11-12-09, 18:13

Yes, I have it working too, but not with BD-RIPs with HD-Audio. MKV play fine.

But BD-Rips Im having trouble. Can you describe ur set-up, firmwares etc?

rudku
12-12-09, 12:36
Is any of you able to stream a BD rip with HD Audio and play it without drop-outs or hiccups on the M6500A at all? What setup and firmware u use then?

Is there a way to switch between TCP and UDP on the M6500A?

UNFS vs. TVIX 6500
- working
- any improvements, such as in case UNFS vs. Dune 1.0
- UNFS vs. Dune 1.0 UDP is specific case, when, on both sides: server - client, is good fit

TVIX 6500 and BD playback
- some BDs or M2TS with higher bitrate itīs possible play without problem
- but depends whatīs hide inside in M2TS container:
H264 - no problem, VC1 - problems with high bitrate > cca. 40 MBps, MPG2 - problems with high bitrate > cca. 35 MBps

TVIX 6500 and best FW for streaming
- firmware 1.3.150

Note about ordinary using
One big issue, which bothering me with Tvix is stability and flickering issue
In current status - this mediaplayer is not usable for ordinary using (and not for BD playback)

Conclusion
- itīs a HW limits, bolster with SW implementation (Dvico from version FW 1.2.52 go out Sigma SDK, and go own way)
- Iīm afraid, that Dvico never publish "magic" FW without shuttering
- but Iīll be happy, if Iīm wrong now
- if you want stop fight with post-mills (=looking for network problems/improvements), so sell Tvix and go to devices based on Sigma 864x chip

PS: This is my subjective opinion, but based on many many hours study/tests this area

dikkiedirk
12-12-09, 12:56
UNFS vs. TVIX 6500
- working
- any improvements, such as in case UNFS vs. Dune 1.0
- UNFS vs. Dune 1.0 UDP is specific case, when, on both sides: server - client, is good fit

TVIX 6500 and BD playback
- some BDs or M2TS with higher bitrate itīs possible play without problem
- but depends whatīs hide inside in M2TS container:
H264 - no problem, VC1 - problems with high bitrate > cca. 40 MBps, MPG2 - problems with high bitrate > cca. 35 MBps

TVIX 6500 and best FW for streaming
- firmware 1.3.150

Note about ordinary using
One big issue, which bothering me with Tvix is stability and flickering issue
In current status - this mediaplayer is not usable for ordinary using (and not for BD playback)

Conclusion
- itīs a HW limits, bolster with SW implementation (Dvico from version FW 1.2.52 go out Sigma SDK, and go own way)
- Iīm afraid, that Dvico never publish "magic" FW without shuttering
- but Iīll be happy, if Iīm wrong now
- if you want stop fight with post-mills (=looking for network problems/improvements), so sell Tvix and go to devices based on Sigma 864x chip

PS: This is my subjective opinion, but based on many many hours study/tests this area

Unfortunately I have to agree with you (mostly). The M6500A has served me niceliy for some time though but migh end up as an audio streamer when I get the Duna Base (hopefully next week)

You say that H.264 stream inside m2ts file wont give any problem, but the BR-rip im talking abt (Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense) has a H.264 (Profile: High@4.1) plus 2 DTS-HD and 2 LPCM streams inside, but still wont play correctly (hiccups choppy video and no audio).

Been experimenting a little with Stop Making sense. When I play the main m2ts directly (without using full BD-structure with all menus) the m2ts plays fine. So, my is guess that the trouble is caused by all the overhead of the menus and so. resources, memory?

rudku
12-12-09, 13:49
You say that H.264 stream inside m2ts file wont give any problem, but the BR-rip im talking abt (Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense) has a H.264 (Profile: High@4.1) plus 2 DTS-HD and 2 LPCM streams inside, but still wont play correctly (hiccups choppy video and no audio).

... my tests depends on my content, that, as I wrote above, everything is my subjective view (experience) ...

dikkiedirk
13-12-09, 13:55
Im trying to edit the autorun.sh file, but get an error message.

Should: chmod +d /tmp/config/autorun.sh not be chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

cause I get: invalid mode +d error.

dikkiedirk
13-12-09, 13:58
Is there a utility that can run on a TS-639 to test speeds between M6500A and TS-639?

Im currently using Iperf and it show a value of only 45-45.6 Mbps. I guess thats the limit the M6500A can do.

Malignant
13-12-09, 14:47
Im trying to edit the autorun.sh file, but get an error message.

Should: chmod +d /tmp/config/autorun.sh not be chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

cause I get: invalid mode +d error.

Indeed, that is a typo in my Guide.
Sorry for that.
The correct command is indeed +x instead of +d

dikkiedirk
13-12-09, 15:52
Indeed, that is a typo in my Guide.
Sorry for that.
The correct command is indeed +x instead of +d

Thought so! The guide has still been a great help. Thanks again for that.

Sparkss
15-12-09, 00:56
Updated table:

1) Added some test results: QNAP TS-509 (Port Trunking: Actve Backup (Fail Over) on smart switch HP (1Gb).

2) Added network status of connection Dune 3.0 on all test. Checked directly on web-administration of Smart switch (FDX = full duplex, HDX = half duplex)

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/Dune30_tests3.jpg

After much testing and stress I have to conclude that I miss my Dune 1.0 and have even moved our TviX 6500a back into place putting the Prime 3.0 back on the bench, so to speak.

I do get the same speeds as Rudku, but they aren't stable on our Prime 3.0 for file playback. So I am not sure how much value posting my results would be.

rudku
15-12-09, 02:56
After much testing and stress I have to conclude that I miss my Dune 1.0 and have even moved our TviX 6500a back into place putting the Prime 3.0 back on the bench, so to speak.

I do get the same speeds as Rudku, but they aren't stable on our Prime 3.0 for file playback. So I am not sure how much value posting my results would be.

I'm sorry, about your initial experience with the Dune 3.0.
I remember my exact opposite feeling - I was enthusiastic about the stability ...

Unfortunately, the small instability is shifted to the Dune 1.0 with latest FW too. :-(

I donīt have a more time.
But some quick tests with Dune 1.0 with Gigabit module are here:

Read speed tests
- SMB 13 MB/s
- NFS (UDP) - native kernel QNAP 9,3 MB/s

SMB file playback tests
Planet Earth - Bird Scene - 1080p MKV:
- till to bird70.mkv (= 70 Mbps) play flawlessly
- the next sample bird80.mkv - shuttering
- same issue with stopping playback file after some minutes, such as described other users (I tested M2TS orig. BD stream)

NFS (UDP) file playback tests
Planet Earth - Bird Scene - 1080p MKV:
- till to bird55.mkv (= 55 Mbps) play flawlessly
- the next sample bird60.mkv - shuttering
- testing playback same M2TS file via NSF seems without problem (whole movie played without stop, playtime 1:46:21)
- Buffer underruns = 4 (maybe peaks under limit of transfer speed, see down)

Parameters of tested M2TS file
- from original BD
- max. bitrate 58 Mbps, average. bitrate 43 Mbps,
- audio track DTS HD MA 7.1 - downmixed to DTS 5.1
- 1080p/24Hz
- standard setting of output from Dune: 1080p/50Hz
- autoframe function automatic switch output to 1080/24Hz (checked on LCD)

Note
My QNAP NAS still run on FW 3.1.1
Some users report, that with latest FW 3.2.0 Build1212 has improvement speeds.
But is shortly for evaluate this 2nd edition of final FW 3.2.0, because is out only some hours

Sparkss
15-12-09, 08:26
I actually upgraded my TS-509 from 3.1.2 to 3.2.0 build1212 earlier today. I saw that it included a fix for a problem that I had been trying to track down (related to copying to SMB w/ Windows Explorer). I am hoping that the general stability will be improved. I have hooked back up the new Prime and we watched a couple of TV episodes (720p mkvs) and so far it was playing well. But those are too short nad too low overall bitrate to really qualify as a good test. I am still running the old FW on the Prime. I would give the new beta a try, but that whole error/restart is a pain, especially when watching TV episodes in a folder. In between each episode you need to wait for the restart then navigate all the way back down from Home into the folder w/ the TV episodes.

Malignant
15-12-09, 08:58
Did some speedtesting as well and got some really strange results with my Prime 3.0

Tested every possible setup and all were maxing out at 11Mbps, wich got me wondering.
Since 11Mbps is the max off a 100mbit connection i did some snooping around in my switch and noticed that the Prime always stays in 100mbit mode on my Linksys SLM2008 switch.

If i force the connection to Gbit it doesn't obtain an IP adress in my network via DHCP and if i set the IP manually it just wont connect.

And another wierd thing i noticed is when i switch the dune from 100mbit to Gbit.
If switching would work properly the player should loose it's connection when switching from 100mbit to Gbit. This must happen for it to get the new speed setting from the switch. But it doesn't, it stays connected at 100mbit. It never reinitializes the connection.

That gives me the feeling that Gbit is not supported at all on my unit.
But the strange thing is that Gbit & 100mbit is done by the same module in this unit, so if it was a defect i would suspect the network wouldn't function at all.

Is it possible to verify this somehow, i.e. by telnetting with the player or something like that ?

Should not be setup related i think, since all connections work flawlessly on Gbit with CAT5e & CAT6 cables in my network setup.

Feeling a bit stumped here.

rudku
15-12-09, 12:59
Gbit not working at all.

When you better look on my table:

Experimental Gigabit connectivity on Dune 3.0 depends on network active device:
- Netgear 1Gb smart switch: 1000HDX (you can see transfer speeds above 20MB/s)
- HP 1Gb smart switch: 100FDX (results on Gbit setting = 100Mbit setting)

Network status - checked directly on web-administration of Smart switch
(FDX = full duplex, HDX = half duplex)

Seems very similar, such as issue Dune 1.0 with Gbit module.
I published this report before change of Gbit module:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149124&postcount=61

Malignant
15-12-09, 13:01
Strange thing is that this is the exact same setup i used for my 1.0 HD Center.
I just unplugged it and used the same cables for my 3.0 unit.

And with my 1.0 unit i got 16~17Mbps with UNFS on Gbit mode.

rudku
15-12-09, 14:33
Strange thing is that this is the exact same setup i used for my 1.0 HD Center.
I just unplugged it and used the same cables for my 3.0 unit.

And with my 1.0 unit i got 16~17Mbps with UNFS on Gbit mode.

Iīll check network status on Gbit module on Dune 1.0.
Weīll see if is 1000FDX....

Tested:
1000FDX - seems the GBit connectivity on Dune 1.0 is OK.

Gheos
26-12-09, 16:07
Anyone tested this with a Tvix 6600 ?

as it is right now, my QNAP-639 and 6600 gives me stuttering when watching BD-50gb. What I find strange is that, if I use Dvico netshare on a shitty PC there is no stuttering whatsoever :(

Will QNAP incorporate UNFS in next firmware ? Dont seem it should be very hard for them !

I could prolly do the UNFS myself, but I would do it in the blind as this kindda things are completely new to me. I ad mit I would prefer not to do something I have little knowledge about and wait for the next Firmware.

dikkiedirk
02-01-10, 00:20
what I like to know is:
If i upgrade to the latest fw (3.2.0_1225)? will this unfs still be intact or will i have to install everything again?

BTW: My nephew and I both have a Dune Base 3.0 connected to a QNAP 639. He is using the standard nfs inside the QNAP and I use unfs. We both get the same results when watching the bird-scenes. Bird43 upto Bird80 run flawless, but Bird90 is running choppy. So I really wonder if its worth the trouble installing unfs at all.

Malignant
02-01-10, 11:01
Regarding updating i can't give you an answer for that, waiting for that answer myself.

The upside of UNFS is increased speeds, but thi is something that you won't notice with a 3.0 unit. This is because the Gbit doesn't work properly on the 3.0 models resulting in pretty much all connection types maxing out the 100mbit.

With the 1.0 models with Gbit card the difference was very noticable, all users had increases around 90% in their transfer speeds. It's just waiting for the 3.0 to have proper Gbit support so we can see the results. We're all in the dark here.

Sparkss
03-01-10, 03:06
I upgraded to the latest FW for our 509 (3.2.0 build 1212) and have unfs running just fine.

As for the benefits, I think that they are all well documented in this thread, although it is getting a bit long, it is still a good read through.

To summarize :
it is worth it if your player supports the higher speeds.
it is worth it if you want to use symbolic links (like SMB allows you to)
it is worth it if you want to have more control over the NFSD and share out more from the root level (for whatever reason).

Many of us got into the game long before the HDI 3.0s came out and have players that can utilize the higher speeds (like our Prime 1.0 and TvViX 6500a). For you late comers it may not be worth it, at least not until HDI fixes the Gbit ethernet adapter (if they ever do, as they have not promised anything), unless of course you fall into one of the two later "worth it" categories, then it might still be worth it. At this point it really comes down to personal preference and how you use your NAS. You need to decide that for yourself.

As for the speeds, I would highly recommend scanning this thread for Rudku's speed test matrix.

Sparkss
03-01-10, 03:13
Anyone tested this with a Tvix 6600 ?

as it is right now, my QNAP-639 and 6600 gives me stuttering when watching BD-50gb. What I find strange is that, if I use Dvico netshare on a shitty PC there is no stuttering whatsoever :(

Will QNAP incorporate UNFS in next firmware ? Dont seem it should be very hard for them !

I could prolly do the UNFS myself, but I would do it in the blind as this kindda things are completely new to me. I ad mit I would prefer not to do something I have little knowledge about and wait for the next Firmware.

Don't wait on QNAP. UNFS stands for User(space) Network File System, there are no kernel hooks or anything that would be required from the OS (beyond the network pieces themselves). UNFS has been around for years. I was using it on an old hacked D-Link 2+ years ago, and it was around long before then. They have their kernel based NFS and that is all you will ever see from QNAP (they have no reason to fall back to what is considered a depricated product). I prefer UNFS for the speed difference + it's ability to handle symlinks. If you want to ask QNAP for anything it would be to tune thier NFSD better. Theoretically KNFS should outperform UNFS, but with almost every media player I have tested that just isn't the case (with the QNAP). I did see a slight increase when I compiled NFS into the kernel on our old D-link, but that is whole nother story.

rudku
08-01-10, 02:52
Hi,

...some new tests...

I tried testing streaming high bitrated movies from external HDD hooked to QNAP NAS via eSATA with Dune Prime 3.0 (latest FW 091229_1411_beta, Fast SMB access = disabled, Gigabit network = disabled).

SMB cca. 11 MB/s
KNFS TCP cca. 8-10 MB/s
KNFS UDP cca. 9-10 MB/s

QNAP NAS still on FW version 3.1.1 build 0815T (because everything working, and FW above 3.2.0 has issues with eSATA connected discs and rsync too).

But streaming to Dune Prime 3.0 is not about highest speeds.
Any problem, shuttering during my tests.
I tested playback BD movies in both players: BD player (BD rip including menu) and File player (M2TS).

Test with max. bitrate (Planet Earth - Bird Scene - test samples with different bitrate speed).

SMB - plays 80 Mbps sample / start shuttering on 90 Mbps sample
KNFS TCP - plays 70 Mbps sample / start shuttering on 80 Mbps sample
KNFS UDP - plays 70 Mbps sample / start shuttering on 80 Mbps sample

Then implemetation of Samba protocol is in Dune Dune Prime 3.0 little better such as NFS protocol.

UNFS - I donīt test, because all results above (streaming via SMB, KNFS orig. QNAP TCP/UDP) are sufficient for streaming heavy bitrated HD content (including BD).

Latest thing, what i tested - was comparing max. bitrate streaming QNAP eSATA external HDD vs. internal RAID5.
Results was the same:
KNFS TCP - plays 70 Mbps sample / start shuttering on 80 Mbps sample
KNFS UDP - plays 70 Mbps sample / start shuttering on 80 Mbps sample

Then I verify, that "Sparkss NAS concept" is ussefull in real life. (but maybe only with Dune 3.0 mediaplayer now.)

"Sparkss NAS concept"
- optimal powerfull NAS, where is stored only often used media content (music, photos, some movies - especially tales)
- all movies can be stored on external HDDs, which can be connected to NAS via eSATA.
... nice solution...
- low consumption, low noise, low temperatures vs. building biggest and biggest NAS system with high consumption, high noise, high temperatures
- Iīm coming near fullillment of my NAS and start thinking about this solution.

...what I plan test in future (of course, when Iīll have a time) - simultaneously streaming from eSATA external HDD to 2 Dune mediaplayers (1.0 and 3.0)...

Sparkss
08-01-10, 03:46
Hehehe, I chuckle at the "Sparkss NAS concept" label :)

Just to let you know, I use one of these connected to my eSATA : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071&cm_re=blacx_esata-_-17-153-071-_-Product

I saw that Thermaltake came out with a dual cradle eSATA. I may try it out later on, but for now what I have works (when the media player works :)).

I also picked up some shipping boxes that hard drives are shipped in to VARs and other vendors (20 to a box, packed in foam) to store the "loose" hard drives and keep them safe. I got them for free by calling around to find someone who had some leftover, but you can also buy them online. This is one example : http://www.aquaphoenix.com/misc/sale/hdd_box/

dikkiedirk
09-01-10, 15:26
Hi,

QNAP NAS still on FW version 3.1.1 build 0815T (because everything working, and FW above 3.2.0 has issues with eSATA connected discs and rsync too).

What issues are there with esata discs?

How do i add the external (usb and esata) to the exports file, what sharenames to use?

I have updated to 3.2.1_1231 btw.

rudku
09-01-10, 20:21
What issues are there with esata discs?

How do i add the external (usb and esata) to the exports file, what sharenames to use?

I have updated to 3.2.1_1231 btw.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=24140&p=103462&hilit=esata#p103462
or
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=24359&p=104316&hilit=esata#p104316

I donīt known, if these issues are soloved in lates FW.

When you have 3.2.1_1231 - which is your experience with this FW?
Everything working for you?

dikkiedirk
09-01-10, 20:30
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=24140&p=103462&hilit=esata#p103462
or
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=24359&p=104316&hilit=esata#p104316

I donīt known, if these issues are soloved in lates FW.

When you have 3.2.1_1231 - which is your experience with this FW?
Everything working for you?

I havent experienced discs not being recognized so far and havent tried rsync.

I still like to know: how do i add the external (usb and esata) disc to the exports file, what sharenames to use?

dikkiedirk
30-01-10, 13:06
Can it be that because of using this unfs online Raid expansion is broken? It isnt working the way it should be on my TS-639.

What is the easiest way to disable unfs without changing my startup file?

Sparkss
30-01-10, 18:23
It shouldn't affect the online RAID expansion, but it never hurts to eliminate it as the culprit

To disable it w/o changing your startup file you can change the permissions on the unfsd startup file that you are calling IE:

chmod a-x /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

That should stop it from executing at startup, but will probably leave an error msg in your system logs about not being able to execute it (not a big deal, just letting you know in case you come across it later). Another way would be to rename the S56unfsd script to something else, so that your strtup script can't find it to run it.

HTH and let us know the findings of your tests :)

dikkiedirk
30-01-10, 18:54
Can I also just use "killall unfsd"?
BTW the problems I have are described here: http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22752

Maybe you can shine a light on this too :))

I already dropped this question at QNAP (forum and on-line CS form) but didnt get any answer. I use the latest fw 3.2.2_0128.

It shouldn't affect the online RAID expansion, but it never hurts to eliminate it as the culprit

To disable it w/o changing your startup file you can change the permissions on the unfsd startup file that you are calling IE:

chmod a-x /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

That should stop it from executing at startup, but will probably leave an error msg in your system logs about not being able to execute it (not a big deal, just letting you know in case you come across it later). Another way would be to rename the S56unfsd script to something else, so that your strtup script can't find it to run it.

HTH and let us know the findings of your tests :)

Sparkss
31-01-10, 00:46
yes, killall unfsd should work just fine. I thought perhaps you wanted to do a clean boot and not have it come up at all, since you talked about not modifying your startup file :)

I am afraid I don't know about your problem though. I havne't played around with the raid implementation on the QNAP, so I am not much help to you on that topic. Maybe someone else will respond (eventually). Best of luck.

dikkiedirk
31-01-10, 18:57
Thank you Sparkss. Still no luck with the latest fw though. Tried taking out a disk but still no "Please insert news disk" I just put back the one I had pulled out and restarted the server. Now the NAS is "recovering journal". How long can this take with a 6 disk RAID 5?

Sparkss
01-02-10, 01:49
I am afraid that I have no idea on how long it will take. If it is just rebuilding the journal that shouldn't take too long (an hour or so if I had to guess). Alot depends on how much data you had on the volume

dikkiedirk
03-02-10, 18:25
I am afraid that I have no idea on how long it will take. If it is just rebuilding the journal that shouldn't take too long (an hour or so if I had to guess). Alot depends on how much data you had on the volume

I got 6 x 1 TB in RAID5 total used Voume space is 4.4 TB. Yep its almost full! :))

rudku
04-02-10, 17:54
Hi all,

I found some new information and want share it with you...

How Optimizing NFS Performance

If you see performance problems with your NFS fileserver, you should most probably look into the following pages:
Linux NFS FAQ (http://nfs.sourceforge.net/)
Linux NFS-HOWTO - Chapter 5. Optimizing NFS Performance (http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s05.html)
Understanding Linux nfsd statistics (http://kamilkisiel.blogspot.com/2007/11/understanding-linux-nfsd-statistics.html)

I found the most helpful the chapters "5.6. Number of Instances of the NFSD Server Daemon" and "5.7. Memory Limits on the Input Queue" in the NFS Howto. I'll describe how/where to set these in case of Debian.

The number of nfsd instances can be set in this file (in the RPCNFSDCOUNT parameter): /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server.
You've to restart the nfs-kernel-server service for this to take effect:
invoke-rc.d nfs-kernel-server restart

The memory limits can be increased by appending the following lines to the end of the file /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.core.rmem_max=1048576
net.core.wmem_max=1048576

The values are interpreted as number of bytes. Eg. you could set the number of instances to 64 and each queue size to 1 MB. This way each nfsd instance gets 16k for both its read and write queues. You might want to consider setting these a lot higher (and also set TCP memory queue sizes) in case you've significant non-NFS traffic too. Look into linux TCP tuning (http://fasterdata.es.net/TCP-tuning/linux.html) for further details.

In case of a current (5.x or later) Debian distribution you can create a separate file (eg. /etc/sysctl.d/60-nfs.conf) and put the lines in it (instead of touching the main sysctl config).
You've to (re)start the procps "service" for this to take effect:
invoke-rc.d procps start

("procps" is not an actual service/daemon. It's an init script used by the system to load kernel parameters from the sysctl config files.)

PS: No tested from my side, then I donīt know, if this will be possible implement on QNAP NAS servers.

AndreyN
06-04-10, 06:09
Hi! I have trouble with UNFS in QNAP TS-109. It works fine but HDD is not go into speeping mode. I tried turn off LAN connector but HDD still work. If I turn off UNFS server HDD go into sleeping mode normally. Whats happens?

Malignant
06-04-10, 08:56
That's strange.

My TS439 does put the HD's in hibernate after a while and i'm using UNFS as well.
Are you sure that you don't have any open connections still triggering the NAS every once in a while so that the HD's don't go into hibernate ?

AndreyN
06-04-10, 15:42
That's strange.

My TS439 does put the HD's in hibernate after a while and i'm using UNFS as well.
Are you sure that you don't have any open connections still triggering the NAS every once in a while so that the HD's don't go into hibernate ?

Sure of course - I tried to plug off LAN cable - no effect! Seems to UNFS open session to HDD by itself.

rudku
14-04-10, 11:59
Hi! I have trouble with UNFS in QNAP TS-109. It works fine but HDD is not go into speeping mode. I tried turn off LAN connector but HDD still work. If I turn off UNFS server HDD go into sleeping mode normally. Whats happens?

Tested:
- QNAP TS-109 Pro II with UNFS (FW: 3.1.0 build 0708T)
- HDD standby working without problem

Maybe a secret protection from QNAP side - running NFS services on non Pro models. :-) :-) :-)

Sparkss
14-04-10, 13:50
If I recall there was a way to configure your temp directory for UNFSD, but I can't seem to find a .conf file for this one. I did note that it holds open a couple of files. Are any of those located on one of your HDs ? They all appear to be in memory on our system, except for the original binary.

[~] # lsof | grep unfs
unfsd 7535 admin cwd DIR 1,0 1024 2 /
unfsd 7535 admin rtd DIR 1,0 1024 2 /
unfsd 7535 admin txt REG 8,3 71688 786518 /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd
unfsd 7535 admin mem REG 1,0 34324 14422 /lib/libnss_files-2.6.1.so
unfsd 7535 admin mem REG 1,0 34352 14459 /lib/libnss_nis-2.6.1.so
unfsd 7535 admin mem REG 1,0 79616 14439 /lib/libnsl-2.6.1.so
unfsd 7535 admin mem REG 1,0 26340 14394 /lib/libnss_compat-2.6.1.so
unfsd 7535 admin mem REG 1,0 1249520 14405 /lib/libc-2.6.1.so
unfsd 7535 admin mem REG 1,0 109148 14433 /lib/ld-2.6.1.so
unfsd 7535 admin 0u IPv4 22269881 0t0 TCP NF003:nfsd->192.168.40.120:802 (ESTABLISHED)
unfsd 7535 admin 3u IPv4 292303 0t0 UDP *:nfsd
unfsd 7535 admin 4u IPv4 292304 0t0 TCP *:nfsd (LISTEN)

See what files it has open on your system, and where they are located. HTH.

rudku
14-04-10, 14:15
Find out which process prevents the hard drives from spindown:
- You can use script blkdevMonitor.sh for checking processes on your NAS.
- More here: http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Find_out_which_process_prevents_the_hard_drives_fr om_spindown

tasos
20-04-10, 22:20
I have installed UNFS to my Qnap 809 pro and now the Tvix 6500 plays BD-rip just great! :D

Many thanks to Rudku, Sparkss and Malignant

By the way, do you know if I upgrade the firmware to Qnap, should I do all this procedure all over again from the beginning?

Malignant
21-04-10, 09:01
I haven't tried this myself yet.
My NAS runs the way it should so i haven't found the need to upgrade.

But in theory UNFS should keep working just fine when updating FW.
In no way does the FW update alter the file's needed for UNFS so it should work fine.

tasos
21-04-10, 09:18
Thank you for your reply.

By the way, could you tell me how to test the speed with UNFS now?

I don't know what codes I use to putty :-?

Malignant
21-04-10, 09:50
AS far as my knowledge goes there is no way to test the speed from the server side.
But i can be wrong here.

You can test it from the client side.
I use my dune because it reports transfer speeds, i have no knowledge if a Tvix has this ability as well.

But you can also mount the NFS share via windows and test it from there.
That should give you some accurate results.

Google is your friend here if you want to mount an NFS share in windows.
I haven't managed to mount it in windows b.t.w. My windows shell goes in an infinite loop and then locks up if i want to mount an NFS share.

tasos
21-04-10, 12:16
OK, but NFS now is disabled from NAS side. Therefore, it will be impossible to mount an NFS share folder to PC side. Am I correct ar I miss something?

shaooo
01-05-10, 12:24
Great!!!
Avatar full BDrip run smoothly from my ts-410 for the first time!!
During the first install, nfs-utils ipkg wouldn't install :

# ipkg install nfs-utils
Nothing to be done
Collected errors:

and unfs run worse than native Nas nfs...after some little search I modified a line in ipkg.config file and I could run nfs-utils ipkg install...

after that, without more setting, unfs work perfectly!! but something surprised me. In my Tvix 7000, the short like the complete path work (/Qmultimedia and /share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia)??

Particular thanks to Sparkss, rudku, Malignant...for their work

NB: Sorry for my bad english...

rudku
24-07-10, 13:23
Some new speed tests

I upgraded my NAS after very long time - from FW 3.1.1 Build0815 to latest FW 3.3.1 Build0720.
... soon one year :-)

only one small problem - NAS was louder, such as on previous FW (fan no go to lower speed) - solved by re-apply my own settings for temperatures.

So, here are my latest test results:
- Dune Prime with latest beta FW 100706_1032
- include my previous tests (for comparing)
- I don't test any alternative version of nfs - unfs and knfs (only QNAP-nfs, which is embedded in FW)
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/Networktest20100724.png

Nothing change?
With Dune 3.0 it's not necessary.
I flawlessly streaming all content, including heavy bitrated movies, via samba.

Here is interesting graph "Bandwidth transfers" from latest QNAP FW:
SMB vs. nfs (TCP and UDP) during read tests on Dune
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/QNAPBandwidthSMBvsNFS.png

rudku
24-07-10, 13:50
Port Trunking: IEEE 802.3ad tests

Port Trunking (QNAP NAS)
Port Trunking provides network load balancing and fault tolerance by combining two Ethernet interfaces into one to increase the bandwidth beyond the limits of any one single interface at the same time offers the redundancy for higher availability when both interfaces are connected to the same switch that supports 'Port Trunking'.

With new Resource Monitor in QNAP FW I can bring these charts:
Network Port Trunking on QNAP - FailOver vs. IEEE 802.3ad

Notes:
1) I must note again - for Port Trunking you must have a supported switch, where is this Port Trunking correctly set. Do not suffice setup it only on NAS.
2) Terminology for Port Trunking on switch may be different such as on QNAP NAS.
Netgear:
The LAG (Link Aggregation Group) Configuration table displays the status and administration settings for all the available LAGs. Two types of Link Aggregation are spported,Static Trunking, the ports are grouped manually.Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) which is a part of IEEE specification (802.3ad) that allows several physical ports to be bundled together to form a single logical channel.

Test: I gradually run streaming of heavy bitrated movies on 4 different network devices:

Port Trunking on QNAP - FailOver:
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/QNAPBandwidth-PortTrunking-FailOver.png

Port Trunking on QNAP - IEEE 802.3ad:
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/rudku/QNAPBandwidth-PortTrunking-IEEE8023ad.png

In both cases I cannot play streams without stuttering. With LAG allowed seems stuttering low, but was on all streams. The second network port in LAG setting is opened, but max. transfer speed is only 7 MB.

What do you think? Is Port Trunking (or LAG) working? Is it correctly implemented by QNAP in their firmware?

ad6922
01-09-10, 12:23
Thx to Malignant I did get it working.

Unfortunately my NAS (TS-459, with 3.3 fw) crashed.
By now I am not able to reach the NAS from my Dune via either SMB, UpNP and the old fashioned NFS. For UNFS, I do not get installed anymore, showmount didn't show me the shares. For that reason I removed Optware and restarted the NAS. I did the normal settings for NFS in the QNAP

This gives the following situation:

IN SMB and UpNP it sees the NAS but it can't see the folders underneath. When making a link to the NAS via NFS, I get the message: 'No access Network Directory'

Anybody know How i get the normal nfs connection back?

FYI: I am a real Linux dummy

Any help is very much appreciated

ad6922
01-09-10, 16:43
SMB works again. Reason: My secuirty mgt blocked the ip-address of the Dune for 24 hours.

I am not able to get back to nfs. unfs including optware is gone from the Nas, NFS is enabled, directory has no restriction. Restart of the Qnap but still the message that I do not access on the Dune.

Any Ideas?

ad6922
01-09-10, 16:57
A new restart did the miracle. Back with good old nfs.

For me unfs didnīt do much as I have a modem-router that is the bottleneck.

Thx for the good guide

Screwsy
14-09-10, 13:15
I don't know if this UNFS story is still applicable but I surely am interested!
I just bought a QNAP 419 and connected it with my Dune 3 base. My first test was via NFS (the standard QNAP setting) . I played back a BD in high resolution and saw that the stream was at around 38 Mbs. This information comes by pressing the "information" button on my Dune 3 remote control. Anyway, the movie was smoothly played back.

I use a Cisco gigabit switch and use cat 5e (gigabit) cables.

When using SMB the result was terribly bad; not the adequate data stream coming from the QNAP.

This was really a first test, not a conclusion, but I'm impressed by the very low bitrates I read in this thread when using the standard QNAP NFS. Mine are (in my first test) way higher.

So here is my question; is UNFS a better option if one day I want to use more than one mediaplayer connected to my QNPAP ?

Malignant
14-09-10, 14:36
Like stated way back in this thread i believe, UNFS has no real profit with the 3.0 generation of Dune models.

With the 1.0 generation which had functional Gbit modules the results were a speed increase between 60%~100%. But the 3.0 generation does not have a functioning Gbit connection, and with regular NFS you will already max out your connection.

Regarding the multiple player question, this has nothing to do with UNFS or not.
You will run into 2 issues here. First the bandwith the unit can output. 2 players can function, but if you're streaming high bandwith BR isos for instance i think the NAS will be the bottleneck and not the protocol on which the data is transferred.

And keep in mind when attaching multiple players the drive's in the NAS need to work like crazy reading multiple sections on multiple parts of the drive.

So you will not really benefit with UNFS from this, it purely a mechenical limit you will run into.

As for speedtesting, don't do this during playback.
Navigate the dune to a large file, then press the pop-up menu button on the remote.
Scroll all the way down to "information" and select that, and then you will get a new screen giving you the option to do a read test.
This is the actual amount of MBps your connection can read.
Most of the time you will hit between 11~12MBps because that is just the limit of the 100mbit connection. If it's below 8MBps then you might want to look into UNFS, but i suspect the Qnap NFS client will already give you the 12MBps, and the SMB connection on the dune so max out as well.

Screwsy
14-09-10, 16:54
(...)You will run into 2 issues here. First the bandwith the unit can output. 2 players can function, but if you're streaming high bandwith BR isos for instance i think the NAS will be the bottleneck and not the protocol on which the data is transferred.

And keep in mind when attaching multiple players the drive's in the NAS need to work like crazy reading multiple sections on multiple parts of the drive.
(...)
As for speedtesting, don't do this during playback.
Navigate the dune to a large file, then press the pop-up menu button on the remote.(...) This is the actual amount of MBps your connection can read.
Most of the time you will hit between 11~12MBps because that is just the limit of the 100mbit connection. If it's below 8MBps then you might want to look into UNFS, but i suspect the Qnap NFS client will already give you the 12MBps, and the SMB connection on the dune so max out as well.

Thanks Malignant for this information, very valuable to me. I'm still setting up the whole thing, so choices are important in my stage.

I will do the speed test like you described and put the results under this thread. But, correct me if I'm wrong, is there (almost) no difference in performance between SMB and NFS (with QNAP 419P / Dune 3) ?

If this is true, that would be nice since I would like to put some parental control (and with SMB it's possible on the Dune). (By the way I love my Focal's too :))

Screwsy
15-09-10, 11:13
(...) As for speedtesting, don't do this during playback.
Navigate the dune to a large file, then press the pop-up menu button on the remote.
Scroll all the way down to "information" and select that, and then you will get a new screen giving you the option to do a read test.

I tried again the SMB, it's ok for DVD but definitely not for HD streams

Are you using a beta version because with my last firmware update I can only see when the file was created, last updated and then a button "OK". I can't do the read test you are talking about. Or is there another way to do this test?

rudku
15-09-10, 12:35
I tried again the SMB, it's ok for DVD but definitely not for HD streams

Are you using a beta version because with my last firmware update I can only see when the file was created, last updated and then a button "OK". I can't do the read test you are talking about. Or is there another way to do this test?

You can find all answers for your questions in this my report:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195404&postcount=176

Generally, power of QNAP NAS Pro models and HDi Dune 3 is sufficient for streaming all heavy bitrated movies via SMB.

If you have problem with shuttering - firstly try check a Dune settings (RECOMMENDED SETTINGS):
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169207&postcount=1

If no help it, try looking for problem in your network - cabling, router, switch.

PS: Malignant means the function "Read test" - push button "info", when you stay on any file with movie. I mean that this function was in all FWs.

Sparkss
18-09-10, 00:50
As an FYI, even though I basically started this topic, I recently switched back to SMB for streaming to our Prime 3.0. The Prime 1.0 isn't used to play full BDs streamed, so I wasn't worried about bandwidth for it. So far I have not had any complaints, and we have watched even m,ore streamed BDs since switching than we normally would have. 1 out of 3 have an occasional "hiccup", but I attribute that to the Dune and streaming "concept" more so than the protocol being used.

FrankieV
04-01-11, 21:34
He Sparkss, (or others),

I can't get unfs working on my Qnap 439proII.
Because of performance problems with my TVix6500, playing BD50 rip, I wanted to try this option with unfs. I started of with your Dummy explanation. I am a dummy when it comes to Linux, so I thought this is good for me:p But noooo... I can't get it working. I did all the steps, except the first one; installing "Optware IPKG". I skipped this step, because I did this before to run NZBGet. I started of with IPKG update... and so on. The exports file content looks a bit strange to me. I tried to edit the exports file more than once, by switching on and of the main NFS in the webinterface of the Qnap. With showmount -e i get no result. Just: "Export list for QNAP-NAS:" and then blank... nothing...:(

Here is my "putty file"

[~] # cp /etc/exports /opt/etc/exports
[~] # cat /opt/etc/exports
"/share/NFS" *(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia" *(ro,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Multimedia" *(ro,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Public" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Public" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
[~] #
[~] # vi /opt/etc/exports
/share/NFS 192.168.1.0/24(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia 192.168.1.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
/share/NFS/Multimedia 192.168.1.0/24(ro,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
/share/MD0_DATA/Public 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
/share/NFS/Public 192.168.1.0/24(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
[~] #
[~] # vi /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
[~] # cat /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
[~] #
[~] #
[~] # portmap
[~] # /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
[~] # showmount -e
Export list for QNAP-NAS:
[~] #
[~] #

showmount -e gives me nothing???

Can you guys help me??

Sparkss
04-01-11, 21:38
whenever I get nothing back from a showmount -e I always check (and start/restart) portmap. It is a service and if I recall you just need to execute the command : portmap. (or maybe portmap start).

EDIT : I see that you started it already.. hmm, and your exports file looks ok, but make sure that it is being used by unfsd. The startup is telling it to use the exports file located here : /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports and you catted out the export file located here : /opt/etc/exports Just make sure that those both point to the same file. My /opt dir is symlinked to the same .qpkg/Optware directory that you have listed, but it never hurts to double check.

Also, I have quotes around my shared paths in my exports. I don't recall if I needed those for UNFSD or not (I played around with several different daemons, so I don't remember which needed what). IE: "/share/HDB_DATA/Public" 192.168.1.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)

FrankieV
04-01-11, 22:11
Your first question...?? I am trying to understand. This is the result if i cat the other path.

[~] # cat /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports
[~] #

Your second question: The quotes, where in the original file, but your manual was telling to delete them? Should I try to add them again?

Edit: I tried to add them agin, but same result:

[~] # vi /opt/etc/exports
"/share/NFS" 192.168.1.0/24(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia" 192.168.1.0/24(ro,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Multimedia" 192.168.1.0/24(ro,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Public" 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Public" 192.168.1.0/24(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
[~] # portmap
portmap: another rpcbind is already running. Aborting
[~] # /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
[~] # showmount -e
Export list for QNAP-NAS:
[~] #

Portmap gives an error. Do i have to use another command, to "reset" something?
Or only use the /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd and showmount -e commands?

Export gives nothing again.....

FrankieV
05-01-11, 10:47
He Guys, I think it works now.
I deleted the following lines (bold onces) in the exports file. All the lines with NFS in the path.

So the export file looks like this now:

Can someone verify that this is correct to do????

I connectect the TVix again, and it works. Also BD50 plays correct now.

Frank

Malignant
05-01-11, 10:51
[~] #

Portmap gives an error. Do i have to use another command, to "reset" something?
Or only use the /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd and showmount -e commands?

Export gives nothing again.....

Okay, let me give this a shot.

First of all the exports file, this contains way to much info for my liking.
Edit it to look like this and remove all other line's you have in there.
They are redundant and can cause errors.

This will leave just 2 share's being created and that is what you want if i read it correctly.
Please note that there are no quote's needed in the exports file.

Second is your unfsd script.
Mine looks like this ( and it works )

#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2

I believe the first 2 lines of text in my script are not functional, but it works like this so i ain't removing them :)
If you copy mine it should work for you, since you have the exports file in the same location as well.

So please copy.

Also make sure you have disabled the internal Qnap NFS client before running this otherwise it will not work.

If portmap give's you an error this can have 2 reasons, 1 is that the internal NSF client is running, if so kill it. 2 being that portmap is already running. If this is the case you can ignore it and go ahead and run the S56unfsd script.

This should work.

Also please note that you should preferably use FULL paths and not symlinks ( like /opt/etc ). Always use the full path /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/.

This is done to prevent error's when you want to run the script on boot of the NAS. At the time of the boot there are no symlinks active when this script is run.

Please check the above and drop me another PM when done.
I tend to overlook topics sometime so a PM is a nice way to tell me to look here :)

FrankieV
05-01-11, 11:18
He, Malignant, I did excactly you wrote in your post and it works now. I only changed the exports file like your proposal.

You know your guide is for dummies...:p, so here I am again. Now that it workes I like to make the two lines in the autorun.sh.

My directory /tmp/config was empty. Not one file. So I created a new autorun.sh

I did everyting according to the guide. Made the autorun.sh excecutable. (turned green with+). I am sure the file was there: /tmp/config/autorun.sh.

I rebooted the Qnap and used showmount -e. Nothing.......:confused:
I used ls /tmp/config ..... empty again. Not one file.

If I run the commands with paths by hand, it works again.

How to proceed??

Edit: I found it: I forgot to mount the /tmp/config first (mount -t ext2 /dev/sdx6 /tmp/config).
I think it should be oke now.....

Thanks,
Frank

Malignant
05-01-11, 11:41
Did you mount the config ramblock properly before creating a autorun.sh file ?

mount -t ext2 /dev/sdx6 /tmp/config

Above command is for the TS-439 series NAS

If the directory is empty you probably didn't mount it properly.
Pleasy mount it via the above command and then do a "ls /tmp/config" command in putty.

This should leave you with some dir's and files mounted in this directory, but if i assume correctly no autorun.sh file.

Now proceed to create the autorun.sh file in the /tmp/config/ directory and make sure it's executable ( just like you did the first time )

When all this is done, please unmount the config ramblocks via the following command
umount /tmp/config
Note : Make sure it says UMOUNT and not uNmount like i did the first 20 time's :)

Reboot the NAS and it should work.

About the directory /tmp/config/ being empty after reboot, this is correct.
If you've followed the above guide you had temporarily mounted the config ramblocks to a temp dir. This mount is ( and should always be ) broken after reboot, otherwise you're NAS config is vulnarable.

My autorun.sh just contains 2 line's, that's all it needs.
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/portmap
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
Please note like i stated that you MUST use FULL paths here because symlinks are not working at the time of boot when this script is run.

If done properly all should work for you now.

Also another note, when this is running.
UNFS does not use symlinks like the regular qnap NFS client.
So you will probably need to remap your NFS share's on the tivx as well.
Just make sure they all have the /share/MD0_DATA/ path in front of the share :)

Let me know if it works.
If you can't get it to work after this please reply via PM.
Then we can do it in dutch, which may be a bit easier :)

FrankieV
05-01-11, 12:43
Guys, thank you. It works great now.:p:p:p:p

Frank

grabag9
01-02-11, 14:21
I'm not sure if i'm in the right place here so please feel free to kick me to touch. i have been looking at all posts and cannot find a solution or even anyone asking about this

this is what i have..

QNAP TS 509 pro
Tvix M-6500A
1 xp pc (with 3x1tb external wd mybooks attached)
1 win7 pc (with 2x1tb external ....)

they are all networked and i have had no problem whatsoever connecting or streaming via NFS to tvix from pcs and NAS. Now to have ALL files in one location i created an aggregate folder on the qnap for all the shared folders/devices. this folder works fine when i map a network drive on any of the pcs. so, basically i have connected to NAS shared folder 'public' from tvix using NFS successfully in the past but now i want to access the aggregate folder 'tvixshares' but all i get is 'Unable to connect to disk', ok, i then tried Samba and i could connect to the folders but the tvix shows all the folders empty!

1.is it actually possible to connect to an aggregate folder vian NFS or Samba from a TVIX Device? or am i just dreaming.
2.is UNFS the answer i am looking for? (i dont really want to do this as i have no streaming problems at all, HD or otherwise.

thanks.

raimondomartire
12-02-11, 12:14
Is usefull install on qnap 119+ the unfs. How i can backup etc directory on pc

leecong
14-02-11, 04:07
Thanks rudku about the guide Unfs.

Pls tell me know, can i install Unfs on my qnap TS-219P, and follow your guide i coudn't install ipkg nfs-utils, this is the resuls:
# ipkg install nfs-utils
Nothing to be done
Collected errors:
#
Could you show me how to do?
Sorry for my bad English.
Thanks in advance.

Malignant
14-02-11, 08:37
Did you do the "ipkg update" command before the "ipkg install nfs-utils" ?

If not please do.
The "ipkg update" command refreshes the list of available package's for the nas.
After that you should be able to install nfs utils

leecong
14-02-11, 12:31
Did you do the "ipkg update" command before the "ipkg install nfs-utils" ?

If not please do.
The "ipkg update" command refreshes the list of available package's for the nas.
After that you should be able to install nfs utils

Thanks Malignant for reply
I have follow the guide and this results:

[~] # ipkg update
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/tsx19/cross/unstable/Packages
Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/tsx19
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/Packages.gz
Inflating http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/cs08q1armel
Successfully terminated.
[~] # ipkg install nfs-utils
Nothing to be done
Collected errors:

[~] # ipkg list | grep nfs
dstat - 0.7.0-1 - dstat is a versatile replacement for vmstat, iostat, netstat, nfsstat, and ifstat
kernel-module-nfs-acl - 2.6.22.18-1 - Kernel module nfs_acl
kernel-module-nfsd - 2.6.22.18-1 - Kernel module nfsd
[~] # ipkg info nfs-utils
Successfully terminated.

That is my problem, i coudn't instaal nfs-utils, do you think the problem is my qnap ts-219p?

Malignant
14-02-11, 16:16
I'm quite baffled here as well.

All should work.

I've taken the liberty of downloading the same package file as your NAS did, the one you've linked in your post.
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/Packages.gz

Then i extracted it and went poking around in the file with notepad.
The strange thing is that i can not find any reference to the NFS-Utils package in the package list the NAS downloaded.

I really dont have a clue why it's not in there, as the package is still online.
My initial thought was that it was your NAS, being ARM based instead of Intel based.
But that shouldn't make any difference, the TS219P has built in NFS as well.

I'm going to think about this some more, but for now i can't help you unfortunately.
Maybe somebody else has a brilliant idea, or can point you to the part i'm not seeing right now.

NastyWays
14-02-11, 18:59
Hi,

i followed the tutorial found on this forum on how to install unfs
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23129

i did everything that is explained in the tutorial but i got stuck on the showmount -e command, it shows no output of my exports for some reason...

im running on a qnap 259pro with the latest firmware 3.4.0 Build 0201T
my mediaplayer is a HDI Dune Max

these are my outputs
[/etc] # cat /opt/etc/exports

/share/HDA_DATA/Completed Downloads 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDA_DATA/Movies 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
/share/HDA_DATA/Public 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)

[/etc] # cat /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

#!/bin/sh
if [ -n .`pidof unfsd`. ] ; then
fi
sleep 2
#/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd -e /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/exports

[/etc] # portmap

[/etc] # /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd

[/etc] # showmount -e
Export list for NAS259PRO:
[/etc] #

i searched google, and this forum, found two other users that had this problem but not a working solution...

thx in advance... grtz

Malignant
15-02-11, 10:11
Just curious here.

What set up are you using your NAS ?
You have all the share labels set for HDA_DATA.

Just to be sure, you're not running the disks in RAID on the NAS ?
But u are using it as 2 seperate hard disks ?

And just as a reference, can you post a copy of your Qnap exports file that the internal NFS client uses ?
"cat /etc/exports"

Just to make sure there are no differences here.

NastyWays
15-02-11, 12:16
thx for your curiosity :)

Just curious here.

What set up are you using your NAS ?
You have all the share labels set for HDA_DATA.

I have set them to use as seperate volumes, i used winSCP to make sure that the paths were correct

And just as a reference, can you post a copy of your Qnap exports file that the internal NFS client uses ?
"cat /etc/exports"

[~] # cat /etc/exports
"/share/NFS" *(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Completed Downloads" 192.168.1.*(rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Completed Downloads" 192.168.1.*(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Movies" 192.168.1.*(rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Movies" 192.168.1.*(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Public" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Public" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
[~] #
/share/HDA_DATA/Completed Downloads 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)
[~] #

at first the lines with /share/NFS i also had in my /opt/etc/exports but i read somewhere on the forum a guy that had the same problem on not seeing his shares when looking at the output with showmount -e
and his solution was deleting these lines, but seems not to be working with me, i restarted the nas afterwords used the portmap en /opt/etc/init.d/Q56unfsd script again but showmount -e was still not showing me my shares...

Malignant
15-02-11, 13:26
You're exports file looks good to me so i don't think the problem lies there.

Looking at your S56unfsd i do find some little things which could be it.
It could be typo's or it could be an error in the script.

I've editited mine to use your exports file.
Just copy and paste the following as the S56unfsd script and please try again.

/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd
cat /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/etc/init.d/S56unfsd
#!/bin/sh

fi

sleep 2
#/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/sbin/unfsd

NastyWays
15-02-11, 14:20
I've editited mine to use your exports file.
Just copy and paste the following as the S56unfsd script and please try again.

i opend my file with the vi command deleted everything that was in there, pasted your script, saved it with :wq command then used cat to see if everything is there, rebooted my nas to make sure, then used the portmap and /opt/etc/init.d/S56unfsd to run the script,

but still my exports are not shown when using showmount -e... :(

[~] # showmount -e
[~] #

it doesnt make any sense... cause when i show my exportsfile with the cat command everything is there... its not an empty file..

this is the first time i manually install something through putty so it's not that i screwed up the configuration in previous installations...

Malignant
15-02-11, 15:14
This may sound like a dumb question, but i've made this mistake myself as well.
Need to eliminate every option.

did you disable the Qnap internal NFS service ?

NastyWays
15-02-11, 15:19
You're exports file looks good to me so i don't think the problem lies there.

I've found the problem, the thing is i did everything exactely like the tutorial says....
and that's just the problem, it says you have to copy the original exportsfile and you have to delete all the "-symbols

this is true if you all have folders without any spaces between the names

in the lines of the 'Movies' and 'Public' folders this is correct but i also have a folder 'Completed Downloads' and that's where the problem occurs...

i found out when i use the unfsd -T -e /opt/etc/exports function here it gives me an error Parse error in exports files...
so i googled some further and found this info

Example exports file:

/etc/exports

/share/hdd/data/public (rw,no_root_squash)
"/share/hdd/data/my private stuff" 192.168.1.100(rw,no_root_squash)
/share/hdd/data/localnetreadonly 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
/share/hdd/data/temp 192.168.1.100(rw) 1.2.3.4(ro)

The first line allows the public folder to be used by anyone anywhere anyhow. Root is allowed, as is writing.

The second shares "my private stuff" just for a single host. Root is allowed, as is writing. Quotes are needed because of the spaces.

The third line is an export that is for the 192.168.1.x subnet only and is read-only because of the default options.

The forth line allows 192.168.1.100 read-write access and 1.2.3.4 read-only access. All other clients are denied access. Root is squashed in both cases because it is the default.

so i changed my exports file into

"/share/HDA_DATA/Completed Downloads" 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)

[~] # showmount -e

/share/HDA_DATA/Completed Downloads 192.168.1.0/24
/share/HDA_DATA/Movies 192.168.1.0/24
/share/HDA_DATA/Public 192.168.1.0/24

[~] #

Hope this helps some people experiencing the same issue, i'm going to do the next steps in the tutorial and hope this is really getting the speeds up like other users are experiencing :)

thank you Malignant for your reply's!!!

Malignant
15-02-11, 15:23
Ok, that's new to me as well.
Since i've never used space's in my share's.

Thanks for taking the time and tinering with this, i'm sure this will provide help for future users.

NastyWays
15-02-11, 15:40
Ok, that's new to me as well.
Since i've never used space's in my share's.

Thanks for taking the time and tinering with this, i'm sure this will provide help for future users.

that's the power of a good forum, users helping each other!

i only have one question, the installation of unfs and all the adjustments made in the tutorial like the autorun script and so on do we need to redo these steps each time we update our NAS with a new firmware?

thx!

Malignant
15-02-11, 16:07
No need to redo this.

I've update my NAS a few times after installing UNFS.
Everything keeps running nicely, no need to worry.

NastyWays
17-02-11, 12:25
still not gething the speeds that most of you guys get...

it tops at 10MB/s the strange thing is when i put the setting of using the gigabit connection on the dune max at enabled then its even wors!

with the gigabit on @ the dune i only get 200kb/s when the nfsshare is put on tcp... when i put it on udp nothing happens... it seems to freeze my dune, if i wait long enough i get an error...

when i put the gigabit on disabled i get better speeds on tcp only 4,5mb/s
on udp 10mb/s

the 16mb/s that you guys get seems to be a dream for me.. not happening...

i don't get it why my speeds drop when i put the gigabit on

to give you guys an idea on my setup

NAS: QNAP 259PRO (2gigabit lanconnections) latest firmware
mediaplayer: HDI DUNE MAX als latest firmware
router: linksys 320N(gigabitports) with custom dd-wrtfirmware
switch: netgear switch GS608v3 (8port gigabit)
utp: cat6

grtz

Malignant
17-02-11, 12:55
The 16mb/s we've achieved were on the first generation of Dune players.

We all had a Dune HD Center with the Gbit addon.
In the previous model Gbit was functional.

With the latest generation of Dune models Gbit is not implemented properly.
This results in most users only getting the 100mb/s connection.

I'm also stuck at 100mb/s, Gbit does not work for me.
Max speed i'm getting is 11mbps wich in the max of 100Mbit connection.

As far as streaming goes this is more than enough for the heaviest BR Iso's so don't worry there.

I'm sticking with UNFS because i find it responsiver than the NFS client on my Qnap.
But with the latest generation of Dune there is no real gain.

Let's hope the next generation of players will have proper Gbit support, than we'll see that UNFS provides better speeds.

SkyNett
05-06-11, 02:24
I am bringing up again the topic.
I did the installation according to this guide: http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23129
Everything seemed to go like a charm apart from the fact that I have issues:

1) I have a central share which is named "shares" with various subfolders; I access them but some of them seem to be empty (e.g. the movies)
2) I cannot play / see anything from these subfolders.

Any idea what the hell is going on?

SkyNett
05-06-11, 02:26
By the way here is my humble config file:

/share/MD0_DATA/shares 192.168.10.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)

Mablung
05-09-11, 12:11
Is it possible to share an USBDiskn with unfs ? I have tried with standard qnap nfs with a Dune Smart H1 and i can't :( (no problem with internal drives) ?

Thx !

tasos
25-09-11, 16:11
Does anyone experience trouble with UNFS at 3.5.0 firmware?

Everything went great the last year, but after updating firmware to 3.5.0 , unfs is stop working.

I re-run the instructions based on pdf "UNFS for dummies" but when I enter command showmount -e , I've got a message "portmap getport: RPC: Sucess" instead of a list of my shared folders.