PDA

View Full Version : So which - Popcorn C-200 or HDI Dune Prime 3.0

lcask
26-12-09, 18:09
I tried to read this forum and Network Media Tank too and still am confused - which (with BD drive and HDD) to buy - Popcorn C-200 (with seems to me wide support and development community that gives a chance to resolve various bugs) or Dune (seems less buggy but also smaler community to make ad-ons etc).

So which one? Or to wait some month for new 2010 network media players (with BD)?

P.S. I have general requirements - display on LCD 46 and projector, playing both DVD, BD - regionfree, and mkv/avi through NAS.

Thanks

L.

MrX_Cuci
26-12-09, 18:51
BS statement if you ask me.

If you want an out of the box, no hassle kind of player go for the Dune. If you can live with bugs that make viewing not so great, but has more features at this time, go for the C-200.

Likvid
26-12-09, 19:00
But Dune seems to have quality problems, some players are ok, some has to be returned, also the C-200 got a nice m-ATX power supply, way better than Dune, C-200 have a nice chassis and a front display, and also the Dune is more expensive for what??

MrX_Cuci
26-12-09, 19:18
It's obvious you never played with the Dune. More expensive? You must be joking right. You have to buy the bluray drive for the C-200 Even the Base is cheaper. (€20,-) Had quality control issues would be better.

The C200 has a BD license for 1.5 year and after that....who knows. System storage is NOT included, so no BD-Live out of the box. You won't have those issues with a Dune.

Likvid
26-12-09, 19:55
Well everyone does not live in Holland, ever thought about that?

Dune Base 3 is more expensive than C-200, about 50 euros.

When look at the inside of the Dune vs C-200 you can see clearly Dune is cheaper built inside.

You pay for alot of air with Dune, the quality problems is not in the past, you ever read the forum here? many failing units that needs to be returned.

MrX_Cuci
26-12-09, 20:08
You don't have any of those two have you? This is starting out to be a flaming thread and it ends here. Good luck with your purchase.

Domdom
26-12-09, 20:22
I can see that it is difficult to decide which of the two playeres is better.
If you look at the forum, you would have the feeling the world circles around the Dune - since there are much more messages about their players here.
But there are not many new Dunes out there, just that most C-200 users seem to be at a different forum.

The C-200 is a well built machine and is getting better all the time. The main problems that are still there are based on whatever soft Sigma gives the producers - therefore Dune and Poppie have the same problems.

Dune users seem to love their machines and embrace the bugs, sort of like a secret society, whilst C-200 are very vocal about their discomfort with bugs.

That is something I really do not understand - a bug is a bug is a bug.

Another big difference is that Poppie is trying to do allsorts of things, most of which I personally do not need. Whilst Dune seems to be more conentrated on the basic functionality. That is something I find very good.

What it boils down to, it is a matter of tatse, but Syabas is a bigger company and has more followers, so I am sure there will be more coming for the C-200 in the future.
The biggest mistake was releasing the player, when they did - whilst the firm was still Alpha. Meanwhile for me it is a very good choice.

e-motion
26-12-09, 21:25
The C-200 is a well built machine and is getting better all the time. The main problems that are still there are based on whatever soft Sigma gives the producers - therefore Dune and Poppie have the same problems.

Dune users seem to love their machines and embrace the bugs, sort of like a secret society, whilst C-200 are very vocal about their discomfort with bugs.

Total BS. I have both a C200 and a Dune Base 3.0, and the bugs are NOT the same. Try to read a BR ISO/Folder and output the sound with the SPDIF/Toslink on any receiver or surround processor with a C200 : it does NOT work at all. Try to do the same exact thing with the Base 3.0 : no problem. That's just one example.

Also, the C200 owners are more vocal ? Another load of BS, especially that when using their forum, criticizing their product and asking for solutions about major bugs like the one I described above is being shot down. Look at how many posts there is here on MPC about bugs for HDI products... A "secret society" ? I don't think so.

Just because you own a C200 doesn't give you the right to spread misinformation. I happen to own both and at this stage the C200 is gathering dust. The Base 3.0 might not offer as many 3rd party add-ons in the form of software, but then again, if I wanted that, I would have a HTPC, uncomfortability and unreliability included. The Base 3.0 does what it offers very well and very reliably, the C200 is still mostly promises.

Likvid
26-12-09, 22:16
You don't have any of those two have you? This is starting out to be a flaming thread and it ends here. Good luck with your purchase.

Fanboy, go to bed.

Domdom
26-12-09, 23:05
Total BS. ...
Another load of BS...

Just because you own a C200 doesn't give you the right to spread misinformation...

What is the reason for you to become so emotinal and insulting???

I stated my oppinion, you are writing all I wrote is BS.

Reading your primitive remarks, I really wonder if you actually know what you are writing about.

If you prefer the Dune, fine by me. The threadstarter asked for opinions, he got different ones now - so he can make up his mind.

By the way, I have betafirmwares for the C-200 and the spdif remark made by you is - what is your favourite expression again - ah I remember BS.

Get a life.
We are only writing about mediaplayers.

sam7
26-12-09, 23:23
By the way, I have betafirmwares for the C-200 and the spdif remark made by you is - what is your favourite expression again - ah I remember BS.

Try to play Blu Ray disk with java menu, having DTS and DD sound set to raw.
You will have HD sound, but no DTS, no DD.
Which means that you will have no sound if audio in you language is not HD sound.
This is not a bug. Bug it is when something in some specific cases do not work.
When you do not have sound in the movie - this is not working device.

It is not fixed in last beta (I mean leaked).

Domdom
26-12-09, 23:35
It is not fixed in last beta (I mean leaked).

Not every beta is leaked...
091222 is the newest beta...

Both players have their pros and cons.

I wonder how far apart they will be in a few months. Obviously choosing one of them is a difficult decision. As for now you have to bet on one horse and hope for the best.

BTW I only have access to a C-200, therefore cannot make any remarks on the Dune.
Shame these sort of discussions always end in getting emotional and off balance - otherwise it would really be interesting finding the differences between the players.

sam7
26-12-09, 23:44
So far I`m very dissappointed with C200.
Because of only sound problem I cannot use it.
Second big problem - awfull remote, very often you have to press buttons twice-triple in order to execute command.

Domdom
26-12-09, 23:57
Second big problem - awfull remote, very often you have to press buttons twice-triple in order to execute command.

You obviously put the little antenna on the back of the C-200. In the beginning many complained about problems with the remote and had not fastened the antenna to the player - they thought it was for WiFi - whilst it is infact for th remote.

I do not use the RF remote anymore - but had absolutely no problems with it. I have a Harmony One and am therefore using IR with the C-200. All is completely normal.

sam7
27-12-09, 00:24
I also have Harmony One and planning to substitute RF remote as well.

grizzly
27-12-09, 01:19
Total BS. I have both a C200 and a Dune Base 3.0, and the bugs are NOT the same. Try to read a BR ISO/Folder and output the sound with the SPDIF/Toslink on any receiver or surround processor with a C200 : it does NOT work at all. Try to do the same exact thing with the Base 3.0 : no problem. That's just one example.

Also, the C200 owners are more vocal ? Another load of BS, especially that when using their forum, criticizing their product and asking for solutions about major bugs like the one I described above is being shot down. Look at how many posts there is here on MPC about bugs for HDI products... A "secret society" ? I don't think so.

Just because you own a C200 doesn't give you the right to spread misinformation. I happen to own both and at this stage the C200 is gathering dust. The Base 3.0 might not offer as many 3rd party add-ons in the form of software, but then again, if I wanted that, I would have a HTPC, uncomfortability and unreliability included. The Base 3.0 does what it offers very well and very reliably, the C200 is still mostly promises.

The hd sound bugs and the audio out of sync bug IS THE BUGS THAT IS HIGEST ON THE LIST FOR SYABAS.
But they can not fix any of them before they get an update from sigma.
And they did get a INCOMPLETE set wich they could not use at all so now they are waiting and trying to fix smaller bugs in the meantime.

The sigma libs that the dune is firmware is based on is very old.
Since the release that came with the c-200 (in august) did change how many things was done and therefor introduced many new bugs dune did NOT use them.
But when or if at all dune do use any new sigma libs then dune will have a LONG time (months) to get them sorted out since many things is diffrent.
Sure dune surely does testing on the new libs BUT THEY DO NOT RELEASE BETA firmwares and will therefore miss many bugs.
Syabas have already have the time to released many beta,"stable" firmwares on the new libs.

That is why the dune seems to have fewer bugs then the c-200 but when dune finally do change the libs then it will be the other way around and the dune will probably see many bugs that the c-200 already have had and then fixed several months erlier.

So if i had to choose based on the above it will be the c-200.1-0
But if i choose as they are now then the dune.1-1
The c-200 does use a atx powersupply and that is a plus so far 2-1 for the c-200.
Overall build quality seems to me that the c-200 wins too.3-1
Price the dune is cheeper since you have to buy a bluray and hd or usb stick for the c-200.3-2

The bluray drive how long will the dune drive work? , if the drive does fail then you can not change it yourself.4-2
And do the dune drive work at all when i get the dune? , How high sound will the dune drive have?5-2
C-200 does only have 1,5 year bd license syabas did promise to update that when the time comes (and i belive that they will do so) but dune wins anyway.5-3
Do you want a hd in your dune,c-200 or upgrade in the future then you must send the dune in OR LOOSE the warranty if you open it yourself,The c-200 you can open with warranty intact.6-3
If you don't want,need any bluray drive in the mediaplayer then you can have 2 internal hd in the c-200 (can probably work on the dune too but then you loose warranty since you need to open it).7-3

So for me it would be the c-200 since it wins with 6-3 or 7-3 if you don't need,want bluray drive.

I do own a c-200 and is a beta tester but i'am really disappointed with it but i would rather buy the c-200 instead of the dune.

Darth_Fedor
27-12-09, 01:25
What I am missing in this conversation, is the difference in chipset. I believe, but don't hate me if I'm wrong, that the C-200 has a chipset that is somewhat less advanced than the Dune. The Blue-ray license lifetime was also different and no Blue-ray drive included in a C-200 by default.

For that reason I have bought the Prime (buy-in, many thanks to Divxplayer and MPCclub) and I am very happy with it. No noisy drive or whatsoever. But I would probably be happy with a C-200 also ;-)

Both brands have their way with a community where MPC is more Dune and NMT is more C-200. So I am expecting that both brands will solve their bugs sooner or later.
As I believe the statement given in the beginning of this threat by MrX_Cuci is correct:
Dune is out of the box working with all the things you need for Blue-ray playing. C-200 is more for the techies. Install your own Blue-ray player you realty like, to tailor make it conform your specific wishes.

e-motion
27-12-09, 03:13
What is the reason for you to become so emotinal and insulting???

I stated my oppinion, you are writing all I wrote is BS.

Reading your primitive remarks, I really wonder if you actually know what you are writing about.

If you prefer the Dune, fine by me. The threadstarter asked for opinions, he got different ones now - so he can make up his mind.

Get a life.
We are only writing about mediaplayers.

Do I know what I'm talking about ? I would surmise since I have over 20 years of home-theater experience and been in the programming business for 22 now that yes, I know what I'm talking about. You might want to check your facts regarding the SPDIF/Toslink output working properly when playing a BR ISO/rip. What I dislike is people giving false information, as you did, and yes, that my dear home-theater expert, is BS.

I'll get a life you approve of when you start giving out correct information. Deal ? Put yourself into someone's shoes, who buys a device based on your incorrect information, and then tell me you wouldn't be pissed off upon discovering that the device doesn't work as you said it would...

As for having a beta firmware that isn't accessible to anybody but beta-testers (best case scenario, since the latest changelog for C200 betas doesn't make any mention of having the SPDIF audio output microcode from Sigma implemented), that doesn't help most owners of the C200 now, does it ?

Likvid
27-12-09, 12:37
The sales people at HDI tries to say that the C-200 have a less performing Sigma chipset compared to their own, the only difference between them is that Dune have Macrovision embedded in their Sigma chipset, that is the only difference.

Just read the comparison sheet at Sigma....

Domdom
27-12-09, 13:04
As for having a beta firmware that isn't accessible to anybody but beta-testers (best case scenario, since the latest changelog for C200 betas doesn't make any mention of having the SPDIF audio output microcode from Sigma implemented), that doesn't help most owners of the C200 now, does it ?

Well there is a closed beta test, which goes through the bugs before the beta hits the general public, which is a great decision made by Syabas - especially because experts like you would be throwing little tantrums, if something did not work as expected.

Since you know absolutely everything, you should also know that exactly that audio issue is being tested in the very latest non-public beta...
BTW, this is correct information - just because you do not know about it, it does not make it untrue.
Once the beta works well enough it will be presented to the other users and that will help the other owners.
The good news being, that the problems are being solved one by one - atleast they try their best.

Have fun with your aggressive behaviour and enjoy your Dune - which is a great player (I mean that - no BS)

If you are an expert, what you write would be of so much more interest, if you changed your way of addressing issues. Just writing BS and going over the top, does not seem like a mature comment.

PS: I am not an expert, just an interested user.

MrX_Cuci
28-12-09, 02:20
The sigma libs that the dune is firmware is based on is very old.
Since the release that came with the c-200 (in august) did change how many things was done and therefor introduced many new bugs dune did NOT use them.
But when or if at all dune do use any new sigma libs then dune will have a LONG time (months) to get them sorted out since many things is diffrent.
Sure dune surely does testing on the new libs BUT THEY DO NOT RELEASE BETA firmwares and will therefore miss many bugs.
Syabas have already have the time to released many beta,"stable" firmwares on the new libs.

I actually think this was a smart move of HDI. Why fix anything when it's not broken? It works doesn't it? Fixed bugs will surely be incorperated in the new sigma libs....when it's time and it's stable enough HDI will release it. (I hope) At least that's the road I would follow as a programmer.

I like your comparison chart, but there are a lot of assumptions in it and not related to the C200. It has no Bluray drive! Compare it to the Base then.

The bluray drive how long will the dune drive work? , if the drive does fail then you can not change it yourself.4-2
And do the dune drive work at all when i get the dune? , How high sound will the dune drive have?5-2
Do you want a hd in your dune,c-200 or upgrade in the future then you must send the dune in OR LOOSE the warranty if you open it yourself,The c-200 you can open with warranty intact.6-3

On a side note: There are a couple buy-in users happy with there replaced Dune prime. (BD-loader wise) Some people will never be satisfied, wheter they buy a C200 or a Dune. My Xbox360 drive makes more noise, nobody seems to complain about that.

Jeroen1000
10-01-10, 17:25
As I don't own any of the players I have unbiasedly read various information on various forums. I even took the trouble of looking into the HTPC route.

At this point my gut feeling tells me to wait. This is becoming more like Playstation 3 vs Xbox 360. The first has the potential to wipe the floor with the latter, but they aren't quite there yet. I feel Syabas has released its device way too early. Paying beta testers are the cheapest you can possbily get right.

It appears the Dune has less faults and is overall the beter working player. Are there any other alternatives at the moment or are these two the king of the hill?

aiden
12-01-10, 06:24
HDX has a new streamer coming out on the 15th called the BD-1 (http://www.hdx1080.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage.ilvm_blue.tpl&product_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100094&vmcchk=1&Itemid=100094). It's a hard drive hybrid, but it is fanless and supposedly has all the playback features of the other guys. It also uses the 8642 chip. That little box might make it up to the top if it can deliver on its promises.

The biggest problem for the C-200 so far has been its completely half-baked release about 6 months ahead of the other guys. It's been beaten up for a while now but has a very strong community. It can only improve.

The Dune is a different animal, and I wish people would recognize that. The Dune aims to be a simple appliance with limited functionality beyond playback and a closed development track. It's not designed to be hacked or modded or added to. It only delivers what it advertises, but it does so very well, and with far fewer issues than the C-200.

In my opinion, the C-200 is closest to a HTPC without being a computer, and the Dune is much more of a simple appliance that does a few jobs very well. Depending on your FAF (family acceptance factor), one is probably a better solution than the other. Rest assured both will be around, and both will continue to be developed and tweaked. I'm still holding my breath for a review of the HDX BD-1, because it's quite a bit cheaper than the Dune and offers a similar feature set.

e-motion and DomDom
I know this is my first post on here, and you guys are veterans of this place, but why be so hostile and childish? The pissing contest only creates noise that confuses and dilutes the real discussion and purpose of this thread. We're all here to learn from each other and share our own experiences and knowledge. Why not just state your cases, and then leave it at that? :confused:

chhanthony
12-01-10, 07:08
HDX has a new streamer coming out on the 15th called the BD-1 (http://www.hdx1080.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage.ilvm_blue.tpl&product_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100094&vmcchk=1&Itemid=100094). It's a hard drive hybrid, but it is fanless and supposedly has all the playback features of the other guys. It also uses the 8642 chip. That little box might make it up to the top if it can deliver on its promises.

The biggest problem for the C-200 so far has been its completely half-baked release about 6 months ahead of the other guys. It's been beaten up for a while now but has a very strong community. It can only improve.

The Dune is a different animal, and I wish people would recognize that. The Dune aims to be a simple appliance with limited functionality beyond playback and a closed development track. It's not designed to be hacked or modded or added to. It only delivers what it advertises, but it does so very well, and with far fewer issues than the C-200.

In my opinion, the C-200 is closest to a HTPC without being a computer, and the Dune is much more of a simple appliance that does a few jobs very well. Depending on your FAF (family acceptance factor), one is probably a better solution than the other. Rest assured both will be around, and both will continue to be developed and tweaked. I'm still holding my breath for a review of the HDX BD-1, because it's quite a bit cheaper than the Dune and offers a similar feature set.

e-motion and DomDom
I know this is my first post on here, and you guys are veterans of this place, but why be so hostile and childish? The pissing contest only creates noise that confuses and dilutes the real discussion and purpose of this thread. We're all here to learn from each other and share our own experiences and knowledge. Why not just state your cases, and then leave it at that? :confused:

Totally agreed your point on Dune and C200

As a computer idiot, it is very painful for changing from TviX M6500A to C200.
I'm not saying C200 not good, but it is quite difficult for me, for example I can use Movie Gui to create my Movie jukebox easily, but for C200 I stucked on the path of USB drive with YAMJ for a month.

It is a problem of product target, C-200 is good for advancers and Dune may be good for newbie users

Jeroen1000
12-01-10, 09:42
Regardless of the target groups of the PH and the Dune, it's a fact Syabas messed up the release big time. I am very computer savvy but I'm just afraid that Syabas may never get it right.
Your analyses is spot on however. I am looking forward to the HDX streamer. Would you happen to know the size of their community? Or how "big" the company is compared to HDI or Syabas?

The most severe errors (or some of them in case I'm missing some) for video enthousiasts is that I've read the PH cannot do true 24p (it is something like 23.xxx) and they both mess up the conversion from YCbCr to RGB. Both issues are really show stoppers and I won't buy any player which gets this wrong*

I'm really looking for something that follows the rules of video art. Like video processors from Anchor Bay, Lumagen and HQV do. And currently there is nothing yet. And that surprises me. I would have thought I was lagging behind on the new developments:-). So basically, I don't care which one I buy. It just has to play DVD's, Xvid/DivX/blu-ray correctly. And this when the Iso's or video folders are on network shares.

* New firmwares are comming out every now and then so I don't know whether this still holds true but I have no reason to assume it doesn't.

mule
12-01-10, 12:52
The most severe errors (or some of them in case I'm missing some) for video enthousiasts is that I've read the PH cannot do true 24p (it is something like 23.xxx) and they both mess up the conversion from YCbCr to RGB. Both issues are really show stoppers and I won't buy any player which gets this wrong*

For which purposes would you like to use exactly 24.000Hz? If you want to playback Blurays you have to use 23.976Hz because they are encoded using 23.976Hz and not 24.000Hz! Until today i never got any video material which is using 24.000Hz!

TheMule!

aiden
12-01-10, 16:43
Would you happen to know the size of their community? Or how "big" the company is compared to HDI or Syabas?

Well, HDX has a forum on their site, but it looks to be very lightly used. Most of the threads are months to years old, with little activity. My guess is that there are a lot of HDX users out there who post here and AVS and NMT, and not so much on HDX's site. Even Alex posts here more than there.

As far as company size, I couldn't give you numbers, but it probably looks something like this: Syabas > HDI > HDX. That being said, company size can change quickly if one player outperforms another and grabs significant market share.

I'm really looking for something that follows the rules of video art. Like video processors from Anchor Bay, Lumagen and HQV do. And currently there is nothing yet. And that surprises me.

Well, to be fair, Realtek and Sigma both are much more accessible to low capital startups and companies who are trying to get a grip on this niche market. It's constantly evolving, as are the consumer requirements. Look how long it took Oppo to get their Anchor Bay player going. I would imagine it's even more difficult when you add more sophisticated elements like network navigation and file type manipulation. I will agree with you though that there is a high-end videophile product that is missing from the mix. I would LOVE it if Oppo developed a streamer using Anchor Bay. That's called a "dream". ;)

e-motion
12-01-10, 17:50
Well there is a closed beta test, which goes through the bugs before the beta hits the general public, which is a great decision made by Syabas - especially because experts like you would be throwing little tantrums, if something did not work as expected.

Since you know absolutely everything, you should also know that exactly that audio issue is being tested in the very latest non-public beta...
BTW, this is correct information - just because you do not know about it, it does not make it untrue.
Once the beta works well enough it will be presented to the other users and that will help the other owners.
The good news being, that the problems are being solved one by one - atleast they try their best.

Have fun with your aggressive behaviour and enjoy your Dune - which is a great player (I mean that - no BS)

If you are an expert, what you write would be of so much more interest, if you changed your way of addressing issues. Just writing BS and going over the top, does not seem like a mature comment.

PS: I am not an expert, just an interested user.

The beta that was talked about is now available to the general public, and it solves the BR audio for the most part, but still doesn't fix the PIP issues, which might never get fixed. I asked specific questions in the Syabas forum about this very issue and it is always ignored. There seems to be some licensing issues regarding the audio from the PIP that needs to get mixed in with the main audio track...

As for being aggressive, maybe if some of the mods there in the Syabas forum (like Willem53) weren't aggressive themselves in the 1st place then I might have had a better opinion of Syabas products. The fact is that I was attacked by Willem53 for asking a simple question with no aggressivenes but just because C200 owners feel they have the best product doesn't necessarily make it so.

I own both C200 and HDI products (Prime 1.0 and Base 3.0) and at this stage, C200 is just not a profile 2.0 Blu-ray player no matter how you slice it. When and if ever the PIP is presented properly, then we might be onto something, until then, the choice in my opinion comes down to this : do you need a fully BR compliant streaming client or don't you. If the answer to that question is yes, then the C200 is still NOT ready and there is a risk it might never be.

Do you buy a product for what it might or might not offer in the future or do you buy a product for what it does in the present ? Most people tend to buy a product based on what it offers currently, not what is left up in the air with no certainty... In my opinion, Syabas made a lot of promises when releasing the C200, and asking people to wait and wait, and maybe wait some more just to have promises fulfilled (maybe) eventually is not something most people want to deal with.

I will change my opinion of the C200 when it becomes capable of doing things the way the HDI products currently do with Blu-Ray rips, until then, it remains a pipe dream.

Jeroen1000
12-01-10, 17:51
Mule, I stand corrected. Although there apparently is mention of 24.00 hz in the blu-ray spec it seems very rarely used (there are reports from users on AVS on having 24p material).
So, the PC doesn't support 23.976 properly then?

@Aiden More competition = (hopefully) better products and lower prices. I certainly hope so.

A videophile product would indeed be a great idea, but wouldn't you say the colour issue is really a basic thing to get right?

e-motion
12-01-10, 17:59
As I don't own any of the players I have unbiasedly read various information on various forums. I even took the trouble of looking into the HTPC route.

At this point my gut feeling tells me to wait. This is becoming more like Playstation 3 vs Xbox 360. The first has the potential to wipe the floor with the latter, but they aren't quite there yet. I feel Syabas has released its device way too early. Paying beta testers are the cheapest you can possbily get right.

It appears the Dune has less faults and is overall the beter working player. Are there any other alternatives at the moment or are these two the king of the hill?

It all comes down to what you need IMO. I needed a player that can play Blu-Ray rips properly with all features, such as PIP, accessible. For that, at the present time, I only know of the Prime/Base players that do it properly.

To be fair, I wish the Dune products would have a LCD display you can use for navigation without having to turn your projector or projection TV on, like the C200 has. But on the other hand, C200 doesn't offer 7.1 analog audio outputs, which I like to have even though to be honest my ears are not good enough to tell the difference between full bitrate core DTS and DTS-HD MA.

As for the answer to your last question, at this moment in time, yes, these two choices are king of the hill. For how long, that remains to be seen.

aiden
12-01-10, 18:42
A videophile product would indeed be a great idea, but wouldn't you say the colour issue is really a basic thing to get right?

I would agree with that, but considering how much trouble they're having with the lossless audio and GUIs and other "basic" features, I would be they're happy to just get stutter-free playback. Accurate color reproduction is icing on a half baked cake. :)

Jeroen1000
12-01-10, 19:49
But on the other hand, C200 doesn't offer 7.1 analog audio outputs, which I like to have even though to be honest my ears are not good enough to tell the difference between full bitrate core DTS and DTS-HD MA.

Isn't there a design flaw (not fixable by means of a firmware update) regarding the analogue output? Something about startup current which may fry the amp or speakers (I've read some amp's activate their protection circuit).

If this is indeed the case I wouldn't use them...

aiden
13-01-10, 16:47
A new player just released the other day, the Popcorn Hour A-200 (http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=34652). It's about $40 cheaper than the HDX BD-1, but it's plastic and uses a fan. :( The boards over there are indicating a lot of progress on the firmware side of things, so the C-200 may be back on my list if the HDX doesn't deliver.

e-motion
13-01-10, 23:41
Isn't there a design flaw (not fixable by means of a firmware update) regarding the analogue output? Something about startup current which may fry the amp or speakers (I've read some amp's activate their protection circuit).

If this is indeed the case I wouldn't use them...

It's there, but it's not as loud as I was told it would be (at least on my system), plus I got used to switching off my surround processor 1st and then the HDI Base...

Mtz_
14-01-10, 11:46
I can't compare Dune with anything because is the only player with multichannel analog output, And is not about the 8 holes in the back of the player, they also payed much money to DTS for that. All other producers don't want to pay that DTS thing. In their small brain is something like all people have at their home expensive home theaters. Remember when was launched A100 and WDTV. That was a big lol for me because no DTS decoding. How are feeling now that buyers?
So I can't compare Dune with anything.

enjoy,
Mtz

Vboy
06-05-10, 19:06
I think nobody have a 7.1 analog speaker to use with Dune. I have used C200 and Dune and i think C200 is more superior than Dune.
Sorry for my bad english.

tennisbgc
06-05-10, 22:13
One question, I have a pch and I have a bunch of mkv files that have forced subtitles but they wont automatically play even if the forced flag in mkv merge is set to yes so can if dune play them automatically?

HDM1
07-05-10, 06:51
I choose DUne Prime 3.0 - Best Products of BDP & HDP now.

Jedimaster64
07-05-10, 08:28
I have been also doubting which one to choose as a replacement for my A110. In the end I chose the HDI Dune Prime 3.0. And I am extremely happy with it! Plays everything perfectly (BD ISO, BD discs, high bitrate MKV's) without a single glitch.

Jeroen1000
01-06-10, 17:39
Apart from the faulty colour decoding? Are have they fixed this by now. Can't find that they have though?

netjam
02-06-10, 07:09
I am happy with Dune and If it has issue with colour decoding than it invisible for me ( the avarage user). Playing 1080p mkv on my LED and projector no prob and that's all I need. The only one other future I am using is IPTV. I can only comment only on Dune Prime 3, however I went thougth this promise thing before with Beonwiz DP-P1 but after 1 year I gave up. So from now on I only get what works now and replace with what will work better in the future.

aza
02-06-10, 09:08
Another Beyonwiz user! I know exactly how you feel, I have had a dp-s1 for three years and while it is a brilliant PVR, it sucks at pretty much everything else.

I have a Prime 3.0 now and I love the way it just works. However do you find that your Dune takes nearly twice as long to start up compared to your Beyonwiz? The Beyonwiz has very old technology compared to anything mentioned on this site.

I am getting nervous on the firmware update's for the Dune after many years of frustration with the Beyonwiz, but even as it is now I am generally happy with it's performance.

I'm waiting for two main feature's the DTV dongle and some IPTV stuff.

netjam
03-06-10, 10:09
As Long they fix the re-initialization when loading/stop/resume I am happy. But I heard it's was already done in a new alpha

Cocom
25-06-10, 08:18
not noly Popcorn C-200 or HDI Dune Prime 3.0 , but also more others like Tvix , HiMedia , egreat and even more

HDM1
13-07-10, 22:32
not noly Popcorn C-200 or HDI Dune Prime 3.0 , but also more others like Tvix , HiMedia , egreat and even more

Tivx is not enough power to compare, Himedia is no power.

*Ra*
20-08-10, 22:26

None of them delivers real BD support. However, there is HDX BD-1 as the third player who does.

rendez2k
26-09-10, 10:45
So, I'm just wondering if the PC200 still has a lot of issues many months after release? I'm at a point where I'm returning my Prime to get a Base or PC200 (if I can find any in the UK!).

Are the opinions of the PC200 still the same and do many of the bugs still exist?