PDA

View Full Version : Qnap 509 pro 3x HD dead

mixu
06-01-10, 14:28
Thought I could share my story here. I have been a happy Qnap 509pro user for a year now. I had my unit set up RAID5 with 5x Seagate barracuda 1TB hard drives.

It has been great with my Tvix 6500 since a month ago when I was away and my girlfriend reported she couldn't watch movies anymore because Tvix wouldn't connect to Qnap.

I got back and started investigating. In the disk management menu it only showed two disks as being connected. I swapped all of them in and out and to other tray places and couldn't get more than two show up online. I in fact got so pissed that it has taken me until now to get back to it and try to understand what is going on again.

Well, when you loose 2TB of movies and all your photos over the years and other stuff when you think you are pretty well protected, you are allowed to get pissed off.

Today still only two active drives. I tried to hook the other three to a SATAII to USB device and two of them do spin but don't show up in windows disk management. One doesn't even spin.

I have a Xtreamer Etrayz that I got from a friend and put 2x2TB in it. I have been using that for a week. Now I am wondering if I should put those two drives in Qnap and buy 3 more. maybe it was just bad luck. Maybe something with the electricity or who knows why those drives blew up??? Or should I just switch over to Etrayz and sell the Qnap with the two working drives.

Then again Qnap is so much more than Etrayz...

Mixu

a5ian300zx
06-01-10, 16:11
Hi,

strange as they are normally quite reliable, but comes down to HDD used.

1) did you have you qnap connected to a powersurge protector?
2) what firmware version are you running?
3) have you modified the qnap in any way i.e. ram or CPU upgrade?

thanks

mixu
06-01-10, 18:56
Hi,

strange as they are normally quite reliable, but comes down to HDD used.

1) did you have you qnap connected to a powersurge protector?
2) what firmware version are you running?
3) have you modified the qnap in any way i.e. ram or CPU upgrade?

thanks

1) No, and this is what I think migh thave been the problem. A power spike or something.
2) I was running the first Ajax version. I don't remember the version number.
3) Nothing modified. It was even set up at the store as RAID5 before I got it.

Well, I guess it's time to load it up with some 2TB drives now. I will just have to decide if I still want to keep the Etrayz on the side to play with. Maybe I should move the two working 1TB drives to the Etrayz and get three more 2TB drives for Qnap so I would get it up to 10TB.

Then the next question we all face is which RAID configuration to choose. I am not confident with any of them anymore...

Mixu

ACL
06-01-10, 22:55
I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but the QNAP forum & direct contact to QNAP is usually quite good at getting the best results from inactive raid volumes and should have been your first point of contact.
That said, do you have all the original drives to put back in the correct sequence to allow them to try and retrieve your data? I had about 3tb of data retrieved this way.

sodium
07-01-10, 09:07
Thought I could share my story here. I have been a happy Qnap 509pro user for a year now. I had my unit set up RAID5 with 5x Seagate barracuda 1TB hard drives.

could it be that your seagate drives are the problem?

see:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=540
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207963&Hilite=

technion
07-01-10, 09:18
checkout the serialnumbers on the disks.
if they are almost the same ie following up, there could be a batch which are defective.
I bought 4 samsung hdd's and the serialnumbers are almost the same; ending on 10 / 24 /31 / 37
and 1 drive failed, 2 hours later a second drive failed (yes my raid 5 was lost then too)
those 2 drives failed beginning december 2009.
yesterday another drive failed.

so could might as well be a " bad" batch of disks.

I've seen this a lot on servers on all brands DELL/HP/IBM, when one disk starts failing, more will follow soon.

Smart thing to do: setup a S.M.A.R.T. test schedule (short test) on a 4 - 6 day basis and get the reports e-mailed. This warned me in advance, but two hours when I was at work was a too short notice :(

good luck.

btw I own a ts 639

mixu
07-01-10, 09:18
I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but the QNAP forum & direct contact to QNAP is usually quite good at getting the best results from inactive raid volumes and should have been your first point of contact.
That said, do you have all the original drives to put back in the correct sequence to allow them to try and retrieve your data? I had about 3tb of data retrieved this way.

Thanks, you are correct. That's what I should have done.

However I was too fast and already tried to format a new single drive system with the Qnap using the two working drives. It seems that the Qnap itself is working fine.

Mixu

mixu
07-01-10, 09:26
could it be that your seagate drives are the problem?

see:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=540
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207963&Hilite=

Thanks sodium and technion!

You might be right. I will check the serial numbers when I get back home.

I have decided to sell the Etrayz and keep my Qnap 509pro. I will get it loaded with 5X

Seagate 2TB, Barracuda LP 5900.12, 3.5", SATA II, 32MB, 5900RPM

They are on the compatibility list. Would be great if I could wake up the bricked drives too. I will try the seagate firmware software later tonight.

Mixu

Malignant
07-01-10, 09:50
Hard disk die from time to time, that is a simple fact.

I've had one die on me in my NAS as wel (WD Eco green).
If you're lucky you can even claim warranty for the drives.
I've had mine replaced using the argument that the drive keeps failing in a RAID5 array, and i want the mechanical problem fixed. If you claim warranty on the stored data it won't work.

Just to be honest, i really have no faith whatsoever in Seagate drive's.
I've had way to much seagate drives wich died in the past. Maybe they are better these days but i won't touch them anymore.

And set up your NAS better to intercept this problem early on.
Have the qnap run a quick HDD smart test EVERY night on your raid 5 array, and let in do a full smart test once every week.
Set up the NAS to email you when it encounters problems, this way you will always be alerted if something comes up. Just a quick login in the web client and check your drive status after a warning mail does wonders. This way you know when a drive dies on you and you can restore your RAID5 array in time.

mixu
07-01-10, 10:04
I will do that. I didn't have the HDD smart test enabled. I will from now on. And I will setup the email for it as well.

The only reason I want to buy more Seagate drives is because of the fact that I already have 2 of them. Hopefully I will have better luck with these ones.

Mixu

a5ian300zx
07-01-10, 15:21
Hi,

I read somewhere that some HDD with command queuing worked on the Qnap but wear away much faster due to qnap not being able to handle this well and hence drives are always running/activity this was resolved in the new version of the firmware so I would suggest getting the disk sorted by qnap and update your firmware to the latest build just in case this is happening to your HDD's.

a5ian300zx

mixu
07-01-10, 20:06
OK, I upgarded and put 5x2TB drives in my 509pro. It configured itself to RAID5 no problem. All the disks show as being good.

But now the status LED for disk 5 is constantly blinking as it would be reading the disk. The other disks won't spin down because of that. The other LEDs for the other disks only blink when it reads.

What am I missing here?

Mixu

mixu
08-01-10, 07:01
Nevermind, it was just doing the synchronization. I didn't know it takes hours and hours.

Mixu

mixu
11-01-10, 07:14
Well my bad luck just keeps on going. Now the HDD4 shows an error. Red LED is on and Qnap says it's status is "abnormal".

The HDD Smart information shows the following error:

ID Description Value Worst Valu Threshold Raw value Status
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 014 014 036 3549 ABNORMAL

What can I do? Is the only way to change the hard drive?

Mixu

Malignant
11-01-10, 07:44
Take the drive back to your reseller and claim warrenty on it.

Claim the warrenty on a hardware level, it fails to build in a raid 5 array.
The disk is brand new so it should function properly.
Normally any reseller forwards the disk as RMA to the manufacturer and supplies you with a new disk.

Don't take any chances with it, because it may fail again very shortly.
And reading your posts i assume that you just bought them a few days ago, so there shouldn't be any problems with returning it.

mixu
11-01-10, 07:49
Thanks Malignant,

Just wanted to make sure that is my best option. I will do that.

Mixu

murda
11-01-10, 21:58
Well my bad luck just keeps on going. Now the HDD4 shows an error. Red LED is on and Qnap says it's status is "abnormal".

The HDD Smart information shows the following error:

ID Description Value Worst Valu Threshold Raw value Status
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 014 014 036 3549 ABNORMAL

What can I do? Is the only way to change the hard drive?

Mixu

If this is a WD drive you should also upgrade to the latest firmware (qnap and WD drive)

As for your other drives. Seagate has fucked up the last 1.5 years with bricked drives.
I had to flash 120 drives in our company but I had to wait 2 months before they released a firmware fix.
That was the last time we bought seagate disks...

rudku
11-01-10, 23:25
Hi Mixu,

Ealier 509 models had a problem with the Sata chips that caused drives to be dropped and QNAP will replace those units for free.

For more look on this thread on QNAP forum:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24735

mixu
12-01-10, 12:33
I took the drive back and the store is going to test it before they will give me a new one. We'll see what they come back with.

I really wish my problems will end soon. I want to fill it up with movies without having to worry about it's stability.

Mixu

mixu
19-01-10, 14:06
They gave me a new drive and everything has been ok now for a few days. I'll keep my thumbs up so it will work ok.

I am still experiencing problems with ftp. All the settings should be fine and port forwarding done properly but no connection.

Mixu

Marc1968
21-01-10, 09:29
Don't be too quick to blame the hdd manufacturer. Qnap is renowned for the "disk dropping out of raid" problem. I highly suspect it is a combination of firmware problems and hardware defects. Mine was very unstable in the beginning with the early firmwares (disks dropping every 2 days) then it became solid as a rock for about a year with newer firmwares. Now I upgraded from 3 WD RE3 1TB to 5 disks and ^&%%&^ it keeps dropping disk2 every few days. having read that the last firmware is most likely responsible I downgraded to 3.11 but 2 days later : disk2 has been ejected.
Luckily it is still operating in degraded mode and I was able to backup all data but it is frickin' annoying. BTW : disk 2 always tested with 0 problems in the SMART tests and after deleting the partitions on my PC it rebuilt the raid5 and disk2 STILL TESTED 0 SMART PROBLEMS!! Ergo : Qnap problem ;-) Hope this helps.

Advice: if you lose your raid completely because of multiple disk problems, do not touch the disks. Post a ticket with qnap and they will remotely enable the raid again and you have a high chance of retrieving all your data intact. If the problem persists insist on a new unit (like I will now ;-) ).