PDA

View Full Version : TORN: Dune HD Base 3.0 Media Player

sns
16-01-10, 01:38
Hi first post here. I am torn between the Dune HD Base 3.0 Media Player and waiting for something better. I have NO need for their internal HD and I have the Oppo BluRay player which is superior to their spinner version.

Now I do not like the Dune formfactor and have no space for it in my rack. I was seriously considering the QNAP NMP-1000 but it appears to have an inferior SIGMAN chip as compared to the Dune.

I will be connecting one of these players to a Seagate BlackArmor NAS. (Oppo has just released their beta network firmware but have informed me that they are not licensed to play ISO files and no support for BRMD so that's a dealbreaker.)

Which media player gets me the absolute best PQ? Do I wait for a little while? Currently I use the Seagate Theater+ and it's not too bad for most files actually but my AV system requires better image quality.

Any help greatly appreciated!

mule
16-01-10, 02:17
As far as i know: None of the mediaplayers which are on the market today are optimized on picture quality. They're all using integrated solutions of sigma and realtek. To be honest: These chips are cheap and their main purpose is to play as many video and audio formats as possible, but not to get the best picture or audio out.
So, if you're looking for a highend mediaplayer in terms of picture or audio quality: Wait! (maybe for a long time).

TheMule!

CarverS
16-01-10, 02:34
Wait for the Yuixx. This is an intel based player. Expectations are (too) high for this player. Comes out late January/February of this year (I hope). Otherwise the Mede8er have good reviews so far and a good consumer service.

sns
16-01-10, 04:23
i'm based i the usa.

i may wait. the best bet would be for Oppo to allow their players to read ISO and BRMD files because their Anchor Bay chip is better than anything else out there.

i suspect the Dune will not be much better than the $120 Seagate Theater+. Will you be reviewing this unit anytime soon? it's so inexpensive and it does work -- would be very interesting if its PQ = Dune.

I really like the HDX BD-1 formfactor and it has the same chipset as the Dune! Looks to have better nav too. MUCH SMALLER. You really think the Yuixx PQ will be better? I keep reading Intel graphics chips aren't that great.

mule
16-01-10, 10:24
i'm based i the usa.

i may wait. the best bet would be for Oppo to allow their players to read ISO and BRMD files because their Anchor Bay chip is better than anything else out there.

i suspect the Dune will not be much better than the $120 Seagate Theater+. Will you be reviewing this unit anytime soon? it's so inexpensive and it does work -- would be very interesting if its PQ = Dune.

I really like the HDX BD-1 formfactor and it has the same chipset as the Dune! Looks to have better nav too. MUCH SMALLER. You really think the Yuixx PQ will be better? I keep reading Intel graphics chips aren't that great.

All devices based on the same chipset offer the same picture quality, because the whole picture processing is integrated into the chip. There are no components outside those chips to bring the picture to your tv. Result is: No difference in picture quality between devices based on the same chipset. The only difference could be that some players allow some picture settings the chip can do while others don't offer this in their software. But these are just basic settings like saturation, colour balance etc. Far away from the possibilities an Oppo offers.

I love my dune players (own 3 of them), but picture wise i would never try to compete with an oppo player!

TheMule!

sns
16-01-10, 15:28
Thx TheMule! Oppo needs to get hacked asap!

I'm going to start testing Oppo via NAS when I get home in 2 weeks. I think this HDX could be a good intermediate bet OR I have to convert all ISO's and BRDM files into MKV for the Oppo = yikes!

also my ulterior motive for the hdx is that i can re-use the aluminum case for custom player later on down the road.

HDM1
27-04-10, 19:29
I thing Dune Prime 3.0 & Dune Base 3.0 is best HD Media Player now.