PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, something similar to the WDTV that will play mkv files with dts ?

leftygt
27-01-10, 16:39
Basically, I'm looking for a media player like the WDTV except I need to play mkv files with dts soundtracks WITHOUT the need for a seperate amp/decoder? I would like to stay with external hard drives and in or around the same price range. Any machines spring to mind?

Gph
27-01-10, 16:52
Hello,

The WDTV Live does it.

civica
27-01-10, 17:18
Apacer AL-460 ! AC Ryan Playon!HD mini ! Ellion Labo 110 ! :)
Or WD TV 2gen !

leftygt
27-01-10, 20:15
The AC-Ryan looks the part, it definitley down-mixes dts to the tv?

sns
28-01-10, 01:52
check out the Seagate Theater+ -- does everything -- i foolishly thought the new Sigma based BD1 would result in superior PQ and was wrong: the Theater+ is superior and has played everything thrown at it well. basic GUI though, but at this point I'd rather look and listen to content than navigate intricate custom GUI and have issues w/ my content. I'm saving you $:

The Theater+ is under $150!

leftygt
28-01-10, 09:53
sns, thanks but the seagate seems to be geared towards their own drives. I've just been checking the spec on the ac ryan, it says dts is pass through - does this mean it has to be hooked up to a decoder/amp? I'm more or less ready to pull the trigger on this, just need to know for definite if the dts mkv files will play on the tv?

civica
28-01-10, 10:36
Stereo
AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS Master Audio (passthrough)

If you want multichannel sound receiver you'll need!

leftygt
28-01-10, 20:46
Stereo
AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS Master Audio (passthrough)

If you want multichannel sound receiver you'll need!

thats great civica, its all the info I need.cheers

SiaoNiu
29-01-10, 11:35
sns, thanks but the seagate seems to be geared towards their own drives. I've just been checking the spec on the ac ryan, it says dts is pass through - does this mean it has to be hooked up to a decoder/amp? I'm more or less ready to pull the trigger on this, just need to know for definite if the dts mkv files will play on the tv?
PlayOn!HD definitely can do downmix on dts. I have one and it work well. Mede8er also work well. Btw, Mede8er was awarded top of among others realtek chipset based palyer. see link: http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21322

sns
01-02-10, 15:20

seagate plays this for me -- i set it to LPCM/multichannel out and have had no issue with mkv or any other file. (it's currently $119 at bestbuy so you can't go wrong.) it works with any drive you throw at it. also interacts well with pretty much any NAS. i use seagate drives not because of their media player but due to seagate offering 5 year warranty which is more than any other company and i really like their BlackArmor server.

PS the new firmware cleaned up a few things on the theater+.