PDA

View Full Version : Which NMT?

ehampshire
28-01-10, 01:18
I was all set to go buy a PCH C-200 until I stumbled across this forum. I understand many users like the HDI Dune (both for it's ease of use and built in BD). Having read extensively on both I still prefer the PCH because I already have a very good standalone blueray player (that takes care of streaming Netflix for me too) and like the more advanced options available for the PCH, not to mention the price difference.

I must say I'm really confused as to which player is going to serve my best interests for the longest. Reading the review on the SageTV it seems like that's a very good choice but is not based on the Sigma chip so I have concerns over it's performance. Looking at which player has had the most updates (and most often) I see the TVIX has been very active in that space. So, I was ok with spending $300 for the PCH C-200 because I thought it would play everything that's out today hoping firmware updates and the like would take care of any new codecs that might pop up for the foreseeable future. However, after seeing all these others maybe I should look at buying a cheaper media player like the SageTV knowing I'm going to be replacing it soon anyways.

I've had a media player for over 3 years now and as time goes on it plays less and less things natively that I download (VirtualDub conversions ftw). It's fine when all I have to do is audio conversion but converting the video takes the instant gratification aspect out of it. This media player was $80, requires me to run WizdXP as a server on my PC and doesn't do anything special, but it works (and was cheap). I'm mostly fine with watching things in 1080i and 2 channel audio. Do I want 1080p and 5.1? Sure, my system is certainly capable but the source sometimes isn't (also, given the choice of downloading a full Blueray rip and something compressed I usually will take the compression). Speaking of 1080p, I haven't seen where any of these devices will upconvert any source to be 1080p (besides a mention of it on the YuiXX site)... is that true?

Looking at the NMT scene as it stands today I'm worried whatever player I choose will quickly become outdated with things like the YuiXX coming out and everyone continually finding a new format to play with. I'd be ok if I knew my NMT would last for 3 or 4 years but where's my guarantee? Should I wait 6 months to see what else comes out and if PCH fixes some of their issues with firmware? I do realize that playing the waiting game is sort of a losing battle with technology because it will always get better, but I do like to research and find just the right time to bite. I'm ready to bite, I think, but is it the right time?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

tennisbgc
28-01-10, 01:48
Im feeling the same way, I have a pch a110 which works good but there are some drawbacks to it so basically im just waiting to see how this new gui for the c-200 is going to perform and im also waiting for that dam yuixx to finally get released and see how that holds up then i'll make my choice. I think the end of march will be the right time to make a choice.

nhtdm
28-01-10, 01:58
I have Tvix 7010A, 2 WDTV Live (for kids), Dune Base 3.0 and C-200 complete (500gb 2.5 + Liteon BD drive).
C-200 turns out work better with the new firmware compare to Dune 3.0 in general. I think and trust Syabas more than HDI for firmware level of performing, improvement...
The choice is yours, but you can never go wrong with C-200!!!
(Too bad, Dvico did not join the Sigma based 864x or 865x media player, I would buy it without thinking. )

ehampshire
28-01-10, 16:57
I have Tvix 7010A, 2 WDTV Live (for kids), Dune Base 3.0 and C-200 complete (500gb 2.5 + Liteon BD drive).
C-200 turns out work better with the new firmware compare to Dune 3.0 in general. I think and trust Syabas more than HDI for firmware level of performing, improvement...
(Too bad, Dvico did not join the Sigma based 864x or 865x media player, I would buy it without thinking. )

Thank you very much! From someone that has a bunch of these you have eased my mind enough to pull the trigger on a C-200 and let the chips fall where they may!

Advantage
06-05-10, 19:26
Hey nhtdm,

Do you notice any difference in picture quality between these units?

tennisbgc
06-05-10, 22:24
C-200 turns out work better with the new firmware compare to Dune 3.0 in general. I think and trust Syabas more than HDI for firmware level of performing, improvement... The choice is yours, but you can never go wrong with C-200!!!
(Too bad, Dvico did not join the Sigma based 864x or 865x media player, I would buy it without thinking. )thats very brave of you to say that the c-200 is better than the dune on this site :) I also have an a-110 and am waiting for some of these new interfaces and products to finally get released like the popbox pch new gui dunes new gui and the infamous yuixx but that one is a whole other story :) one of my complaints with the a-110 is that it wont automatically play forced subtitles.

Vboy
08-05-10, 07:43

Same idea with you. C200 FW and hardware is very good work without bug. With Dune Base when you stop a film you need to wait 3,4 second and no USB SLAVE to connect with Laptop.