PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a new "great" Media player..need help

Boinkjumper
07-04-10, 16:52
Not sure where to put this thread, so please bear with me.

I've been cruising around in many threads, and still a wee bit confused what I should spend my money on.
So I'm asking for your advice about what I should purchase. I do have some requirements though.

I don't want a noisy fan
I want one who can run all formats
I want one who has a good sound options/performance
I want a stable device
I want one who is able to find the subtitles if it is homebrew or what ever you call it
And off course able to show a good picture in 1080p with no jutter/jitter

Money is not what counts it is quality compared to what I pay.

I hope some one can tell me what to order/buy

Currently owner of WD TV Live HD media player..for what it is worth :-?

Thx in advance for all the help.

civica
07-04-10, 17:07
Most recommended by MPC on brand/features/price:
01 - PCH A-200
02 - Mede8er MedX500
03 - HDI BD Prime 3.0 (Hybrid)
04 - PCH C-200 (Hybrid)
05 - TviX N1 (No internal HDD) - no fan !:D

Boinkjumper
09-04-10, 16:38
I hsave heard that A200 do have some heat issues and people are modding to make it more stable?

slbslb
09-04-10, 18:04
Please, don't buy TViX. They donīt fulfill their promises. Thanks.

grinzecat
09-04-10, 18:44
I hope some one can tell me what to order/buy

Popcorn C-200 or HDI BD Prime/Base, whereas I would personally prefer HDI due to the fact that the C-200 has a proprietary r/c remote and you have the choice between a model with BD-player (Prime) or without (Base).
Overall performance is roughly even though, all of them are fully BD-compatible including BD-J.
Not recommended: HDX or DViCO due to too much unreliability

Boinkjumper
14-04-10, 09:56
Popcorn C-200 or HDI BD Prime/Base, whereas I would personally prefer HDI due to the fact that the C-200 has a proprietary r/c remote and you have the choice between a model with BD-player (Prime) or without (Base).
Overall performance is roughly even though, all of them are fully BD-compatible including BD-J.
Not recommended: HDX or DViCO due to too much unreliability

Thank you for your input and the reason why I should pick your recommendation.

grinzecat
14-04-10, 10:03
Thank you for your input and the reason why I should pick your recommendation.
You're welcome. As always, it depends on your personal needs - and maybe you want to wait another day what the long awaited new BD-1 firmware will deliver.

Dave_D
14-04-10, 10:15
I'd wait too...

Your WD TV live is a top notch product.

The only thing it can't do is play ISO/Bluray Rips. If this is what you want... upgrade. If you don't plan to use these formats... WDTV Live does it.

All the high end products now still have some way to go to mature IMHO.

HD rev
14-04-10, 10:59
I'd go for the HDI base 3.0 (i've got one already).

Top notch product, plays every format (BD, BD iso, X264, AVCHD). Also plays all of the (HD-)audio streams, all of the sub formats and is ultra silent!

grinzecat
14-04-10, 11:08
I'd wait too...

Your WD TV live is a top notch product.

The only thing it can't do is play ISO/Bluray Rips. If this is what you want... upgrade. If you don't plan to use these formats... WDTV Live does it.

All the high end products now still have some way to go to mature IMHO.

Seconded. However, as he stated "I want one who can run all formats" that would include not only mkv or m2ts file playback (what almost any player does anyway) but BD playback capabilities as well.

Therefore, as we do not have much of a choice actually I'd indeed wait just until the first users can report how the new BD-1 firmware will perform. That would then make a choice out of three instead of two. :cool:

Bloodsack
14-04-10, 11:32
I'd forget HDX-BD-1 (new firmware or not) and either go for Popcorn Hour C-200, HDI Base 3.0, WDTV, but for the love of god don't buy a HDX. Worst support in the mediaplayer market.

grinzecat
14-04-10, 12:15
I'd forget HDX-BD-1 (new firmware or not) and either go for Popcorn Hour C-200, HDI Base 3.0, WDTV, but for the love of god don't buy a HDX. Worst support in the mediaplayer market.

It depends on what you want. If the Firmware delivers what actually is needed there is, afaiac, not really the need for further "support". As I mentioned earlier, I'd be completely happy with my TViX 6500a by any means if it would only play full featured BDs with seamless branching, full menus etc., and would not need a new firmware at all - as I do not need it for any other of my A/V devices. OTOH, DViCO belongs without any doubt to the worst companies in terms of customer care.
So again, if you want full BD and HD audio support, WDTV unfortunately is no alternative. Besides, personally I'd love to have a WD unit because I have 100% positive experience with WD products.

mpywisme
14-04-10, 13:12
have any of you consider Bollo NMP-SE?
fanless design with 4mm thick aluminum casing, plays everything apart from RMVB
The price on the high side though

TheSaint7182
14-04-10, 13:24
As noticed in the second post in this thread: take a closer look to the mede8ther! I've own the xtreamer, wd tv live, pch c-200 and the playon!hd. Each of them except the playon!hd disappointed me! The mede8ther looks quite similar from the hardware and interface to the playom!hd. If a buildin hdd is not necessary for you you can look to the playon!mini which delivers quite a lot for its price and ist fanless.

grinzecat
14-04-10, 14:03
Neither Bollo nor Mede8er are full BD capable.

TheSaint7182
14-04-10, 18:41
Is there a device which is FULL BD capable without ANY "problems" when using an BD-iso or BD-disc? I don't think so.

Dave_D
14-04-10, 18:59
Yeah but a device that has problems is better than one that just can't do it now or ever.

tamttt
14-04-10, 19:10
Please, don't buy TViX. They donīt fulfill their promises. Thanks.

Totally argee with you.
I've owned 2 TVIX players 4100 & 6500
Still lot of bugs, but it's no more supported since they have new model

(lastest fw of 6500 was sep/2009)

Superic
14-04-10, 21:49
Totally argee with you.
I've owned 2 TVIX players 4100 & 6500
Still lot of bugs, but it's no more supported since they have new model

(lastest fw of 6500 was sep/2009)

WD's firmware frequency is also not the greatest.
I own a WD TV 1st generation.
latest firmware release is also sep 2009.
The moment they launch a new player, the old player seems to be forgotten.

But for a new player. I have my eyes now on the ACRyan PlayON DVR HD.
Which can play most of the files, and is also a PVR.

mpywisme
15-04-10, 05:34
Neither Bollo nor Mede8er are full BD capable.

From the review by Advocate86 clearly shown that the Bollo NMP-SE is full bd.iso support?

http://www.hdhorizon.com/support/review_bollo_nmpse.pdf

and by Hi-Jack

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/links/reviews-2009-9/bollo-nmp-se-118/

grinzecat
15-04-10, 09:15
From the review by Advocate86 clearly shown that the Bollo NMP-SE is full bd.iso support?
No it does not, BD-iso (or BDMV) is not even mentioned in the reviews. Besides, it has the Sigma 8635 processor which actually is outdated. What might be of interest is the upcoming Bollo NMP-BD.

Boinkjumper
17-04-10, 22:23
Thank you all for all the pro and cons for which one I should pick.
But I might mention that I would like to be able to add a HDD as well(not a recuirement, but nice to have feature).
And as some of you also mention is which processor the box is running on, is also one part I have to be aware of.
Are their any new processors coming soon or do I go for the latest sigma processor or other brand?

TheSaint7182
18-04-10, 16:14
Jep, a new revision of the Realtek 1283 without the silicon error (no HD audio passthrough) is coming, it's name should be 1283+. For a nearly complete list which chipset is used in which device you can look here:
http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php

A FULL BD.iso-support for is is the following:
a complete copy of the BD-disc with ALL functions!
None of the players i know does support this.

grinzecat
18-04-10, 16:19
A FULL BD.iso-support for is is the following:
a complete copy of the BD-disc with ALL functions!
None of the players i know does support this.
I know three doing that:
HDI Dune Prime/Base
HDX BD-1
Popcorn Hour C-200

Boinkjumper
22-04-10, 10:29
[QUOTE=TheSaint7182;186613]Jep, a new revision of the Realtek 1283 without the silicon error (no HD audio passthrough) is coming, it's name should be 1283+. For a nearly complete list which chipset is used in which device you can look here:

I have found this one:
http://www.iboum.com/pr/XTREAMERPRO.php

But what do you mean by no silicon error?
And (no HD audio passthrough) is that good or bad?

jrosado
22-04-10, 11:22
Iīve a tvix 6600. At this moment i'm also experimenting a popcorn A-200. Between the 2, i would choose the tvix. Why?

Much more user friendly, easier to configure and plays BDISO with a BDLite menu. That's something the popcorn can not do. Also, the during the BD play and after i skip a chapter the popcorn forgot the subtitles. It was also unable to present the subtitles language (only appeared with numbering...)

There are other options i could talk about where the tvix is much better the popcorn.

Dave_D
22-04-10, 13:14
A-200 plays BD-ISO with a BD-Lite menu.

As for subtitles, it can play SRT files with BD-ISO.

jrosado
22-04-10, 13:20
A-200 plays BD-ISO with a BD-Lite menu.

As for subtitles, it can play SRT files with BD-ISO.

How do you make the BD-lite menu appear?

As for the subtitles, i was talking about the BD internal subtitles, not external ones.

Dave_D
22-04-10, 14:35
Press the "Title" button on your remote.

Internal subtitles also work using BD-Lite menu. You can change audio tracks and jump to chapters.

Here's a screen shot taken of BD-Lite from mediasmartserver.net

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/IMG_3063-1024x682.jpg

As for realtek based players. I will never buy one until I see verified reports it can play HD Audio. I don't trust ANY realtek player now until I see the store shelves cleared of all the old chips with the silicon defect. For me I would wait 1 year before investigating a realtek based player IF commercial HD Audio support is a necessary factor in your purchase.

jrosado
22-04-10, 15:03
Ok..i was pressing the menu button.

Still there other things on the tvix 6600 that are more user friendly.

As for the HD audio, that's something that's not really important to me, since my A/V receiver does not support this formats.

Also the build quality of the A-200 seems a little cheap.

Regards.

Dave_D
22-04-10, 15:16
No arguments there.. I just wanted to clear the confusion.

Each person has his own reasons choosing product A over product B.

Renzo Ellul
22-04-10, 15:16
Hi All

What about PlayOnHD... how does it rank? I'm presently considering this media player!!!

Renzo

jrosado
22-04-10, 15:52
No arguments there.. I just wanted to clear the confusion.

Each person has his own reasons choosing product A over product B.

Yes..of course.. I owned an A-100 for almost a year. It was a good player. The first time i tried an tvix 6500 i did not like it, since i was accustomed to the A-100.

To me, the perfect player would combine some features of the porcorn and the tvix, like:

- The bookmarks capabilities on the tvix (are far superior to the ones in the a-200)
- The option to forward or reverse 15s (up to 2 minutes) using the up and down keys.
- The on screen keyboard... Having to use the cellular phone style keyboard of the a-200 it's so hold...

- The very fast boot of the A-200 (since the standby mode only switch's of the video output and the harddrive)
- The constant and good updates from the sybass team.

Regards.

TheSaint7182
22-04-10, 22:06
Jep, a new revision of the Realtek 1283 without the silicon error (no HD audio passthrough) is coming, it's name should be 1283+. For a nearly complete list which chipset is used in which device you can look here:

I have found this one:
http://www.iboum.com/pr/XTREAMERPRO.php

But what do you mean by no silicon error?
And (no HD audio passthrough) is that good or bad?
I mean an error in the chip design which can't fixed by software or firmware update. And these kind of errors is never good!
XtreamerPro??? Oh oh! Xtreamer is a red rag for me and for Hi-Jack / MPC. I would take a look to nearly each other brand.

Boinkjumper
26-04-10, 09:59
Thx for clarifying TheSaint7182.
But what does it mean when someone says it has no HD audio passthrough?

TheSaint7182
26-04-10, 11:57
Thx for clarifying TheSaint7182.
But what does it mean when you someine saysit has no HD audio passthrough?

It means, that a player with the old realtek chipset (without the + in the chipname) can't handle (play/decode/passthrough) the new hd audio formats.

Boinkjumper
26-04-10, 14:09
Cheers TheSaint7182

TheSaint7182
27-04-10, 00:26
Cheers TheSaint7182
Same to you, Boinkjumper! ;)

Boinkjumper
27-04-10, 17:02
After a lot of reading and all your input, I have bought a new mediaplayer. I thank you all for all your tips and information.
I'm a wee bit wiser now, but still a n00b ;)
I went for Mede8er since it is quiet and can take a HDD. And seems cabable to do most of the stuff I want. For a reasonable prize.

But again, I thank you all for the dedication/insight, to answer a newbie.

TheSaint7182
27-04-10, 18:49
Nice choice! It should do all the stuff you need.
And my opinion about HD audio:
Nice to have but a good DTS track which is on nearly each Bluray is enough for me!

jellybean
28-04-10, 21:23
Nice choice! It should do all the stuff you need.
And my opinion about HD audio:
Nice to have but a good DTS track which is on nearly each Bluray is enough for me!
you might want to check out the new lg bd570 or 590 blu ray players
wi fi, usb mkv support ect
yutube netflex plus more
ubs hub support ntfs support as well
price range 570 $280.00
590 has a 250 gb hard drive price arond $350.00 i guess?
i have the 570 checking it out now

TheSaint7182
28-04-10, 21:57
Hi!
It sounds very nice BUT the 590 is not listed in ANY european or german shop (searching with a price search website)! Maybe the inet apps (netflix and so on) can be the problem because there can be conflicts with the rights management for the offered content here in europe.
The 570 ... mh ... i don't know ... i'm looking for the new Pana 85 or the Samy 6900 for standalone BR-player. Time will hsow how my decision ist. :D

jellybean
28-04-10, 22:33
i live in canada and don`t have acess to alot of the internet apps that comes with it anyway
the only diffrence between the 570 and 590 that i can see is the internal hard drive
if thats your interest you can just hook up an external hard drive throught the usb port as i said it supports ntfs file system and usb hubs
i hooked up 3, 1 a 2try bit, 2 1trybit drives ntfs works good
as far as picture quality goes is pretty good
if streaming is what your interested in as i said it is wi fi for networking ect

Boinkjumper
30-04-10, 14:38
Well I'm busy setting/tweaking the Mede8er, so I'm not looking for any new box atm, but thx for telling jellybean.
So now I just have to figure out how to get the most out of it, I'm still a noob in many respects with this kind of box.
So far is has been a pleasant surprise.
No hickups and it has been showing the movies with no hassle.
Just installed a spare HDD only 200 GB...ROFL, well better than nothing.
This question, might be for some of the hardcore users. I have been struggling with NFS. And I'm pretty sure it is me who hasn't seen the light yet. I have installed ProNFS on my Vista box, but when I try to establish a connection between the Mede8er and my computer it fails. I can ping and see the Mede8er from my comp. and I can also see the network from the Mede8er, but for some reason I can't get it up and running.

any ideas, use another program or something else?