PDA

View Full Version : Best Picture Quality? wd live? PlayON? HDI Base 3? other?

Advantage
05-05-10, 22:18
Hello,
MY tv Samsung Luxia - has a built in media player which I enjoy. I would simply like to get another media player with better subtitle and audio support - but which still provides the excellent image quality that I am used to.

I have been crushing on the WD live since it was released - but I don't want to sacrifice image quality. My brother-in-law purchased an Asus o-play and I found the image quality to be terrible in contrast to my tv's built-in media player. To my eye, the movies and pictures lacked the crispness and clarity that my samsung luxia built-in media player, pioneer blu-ray player or toshiba hd dvd players provide.

Can anyone speak to the picture and audio quality of the better media players?

I only require a player that accepts an external hd, supports subtitles and dts audio. If the video quality is as good as my tv's built-in media player than everything else is gravy. I'm open to any option but I'm not willing to sacrifice quality.

fronkenstoin
06-05-10, 09:06
I haven't seen the picture quality from the Samsung's internal media player but Pioneer BluRay players are pretty good and I am not convinced any standalone media player can beat what they can do. The WDTV Live should have a better picture than the Asus O-Play, but how it stands up to your other equipment I dont know.

Are there no shops in your near area that sell both your Samsung TV and the WDTV Live? If so head over there and ask to try it out.

Also, to be clear, did you compare the players using the exact same files?

Advantage
06-05-10, 15:45
I did compare the players using the same files. We just hooked my hard drive up to the O!play. They watched a few 1080p movies (from the same external hard drive) that I often use as reference material to showcase the picture quality of my tv. The difference between media players was drastic (to my eyes), whereas, the difference between watching a blu-ray on the pioneer player or a decent Matroska source (10+ gb) via the Luxia built in media player is very minor in most cases.

Most of the places selling media players around here are computer stores. The local future shop doesn't even sell them last time I checked, although you can pick up the WD ones online. A friend of mine just purchased the WDLive - I'm going to have him bring it over for comparison. Is it safe to assume that it offers one of the better pictures considering that it uses one of the newest versions of the Sigma chipset?

hcolon
12-10-10, 00:21
I did compare the players using the same files. We just hooked my hard drive up to the O!play. They watched a few 1080p movies (from the same external hard drive) that I often use as reference material to showcase the picture quality of my tv. The difference between media players was drastic (to my eyes), whereas, the difference between watching a blu-ray on the pioneer player or a decent Matroska source (10+ gb) via the Luxia built in media player is very minor in most cases.

Most of the places selling media players around here are computer stores. The local future shop doesn't even sell them last time I checked, although you can pick up the WD ones online. A friend of mine just purchased the WDLive - I'm going to have him bring it over for comparison. Is it safe to assume that it offers one of the better pictures considering that it uses one of the newest versions of the Sigma chipset?

Could I ask a question, what type of files can the Samsung play, I am thinking about replacing my bedroom tv, and would love one with a streamer built in. I have a Dune base with lots of full blu ray movies on my network in MKV container, can the Samsung play these? What about .mt2s? What I mean is high bitrate stuff, no compression.
Herbie

DVE
12-10-10, 11:13
Hello,
My brother-in-law purchased an Asus o-play and I found the image quality to be terrible in contrast to my tv's built-in media player. To my eye, the movies and pictures lacked the crispness and clarity that my samsung luxia built-in media player, pioneer blu-ray player or toshiba hd dvd players provide.
It sounds like maybe the settings on the Asus might have been off, or the cable/connection bad.
I've had a couple of Realtek players (no Asus though), and I can't believe the picture quality could be that bad by comparison to the built-in player (which I also can't imagine is so much better than a standalone MP, if for no other reason than the cost factor).

I now have a player w/ the Sigma 8643 chipset, and there is no noticeable picture quality difference to the Realteks.

a5ian300zx
12-10-10, 18:37
Hi,

in my honest opinion i have owned number of players I have found the sigma chipset players produce a better picture than the realtek

check the comparison for yourself
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1193061

i have tested the same source on mine with both players a realtek and sigma and found the sigma to be more mature and better quality.

I would go with a player with the latest sigma chipset depending on your budget is.

a5ian300zx