PDA

View Full Version : Choice

dasx
07-12-10, 13:22
Good morning everyone.
First of all I'd like to apologize for any possible writing mistakes in my thread, as I'm from Barcelona and my English is not as good as it probably should.

On topic, I currently own a Dane Elec SO Xstream Full HD:

http://www.dealclick.co.uk/image.php?id=525326

http://www.dane-elec.com/image_gallery/SO%20HDD/images/So%20XStream%20Full%20HD%20back.jpg

I tried to find the specs over the internet, no luck. Doesn't look like a world-wide known and popular device.

The thing is that I bought it because it was the cheapest option I could find that could play MKV 1080p and DTS audio, but after some months I've just realised that it wasn't the best choice.

Problems I experience:
1. Some movies won't sound. Video looks OK but no Audio out. Only happened with two movies, both of them had two DTS audio channels. No clue about the reason. (They sounded well when played in a computer).
2. In the 90% of the movies I watch, audio has a delay of about 200ms. It's not that bad in regular situations, but it kills me when I see a gun shot and hear the sound a bit later.
3. I can sometimes (5% of the times) solve problem #2 by rewinding and playing again (it just needs 30 seconds or so), but in most situations the "solution" will cause more problems, such as video freezing and/or in slow motion, which obviously causes audio to have incredible delays.
4. Problem #3 can also happen if I just switch the audio channel of the movie. SO ANNOYING.

(All this issues never show up playing TV shows, I assume the problem occurs when playing large files with high quality video and/or audio).

So, here's my question: (thanks to those who are still reading)
I want to throw this Dane Elec out of the window but I can't decide for a new media player.

I've been thinking about the PCH A200, but the A210 just showed up. I've also considered the C200, but I think I would not use even the 20% of its potential.

My usage:

I usually use external USB HDDs, so I don't really need it to have an internal HDD, even though i wouldn't say no.
No need for streaming video.
I need it to reproduce every possible format, both audio and video.
Subtitle support, as much formats as possible. (well, mainly the commons ones)
I need the media player to be able to read HFS+ fylesystem format (in the external HDD), but this Dane Elec does read it, so I guess the most of them out there do.
I guess it would be a good idea to be able to update its firmware. (just guessing)

And that's pretty much it. I have simple needs but I need them to be carried out in the best possible way.

Thank you all very much.

dasx
08-12-10, 14:47
No one can help me with this? :neutral:

dasx
16-12-10, 17:00
Thank you all very much for such a useful forum.

clueluzz
16-12-10, 17:13
I used to own a A200 and returned it to the dealer to have it replaced with the C200. I liked that the C200 has RF remote instead of IR, and that the drive bay allows for easier changing of harddrives.

I also own an AC Ryan POHD Mini and DVR. I stream all of my media using a NAS and I can tell you both perform very well.

I personally think a Sigma chip based player gives a better picture than a Realtek. Both players support HFS+ (need to use latest firmwares). The Popcorn machines show subtitles clearer on screen than the AC Ryan in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

vadergr
16-12-10, 17:23
popcorn hour a210 or dune H1 are the most suitable for you.
Especially H1 because it has more usb and sata inputs for external hdd's.
Plus it can play bd rips/iso with full bluray menus.
If you want a cheaper one , go to netgear 550.Value for money.

dasx
16-12-10, 23:33
Thanks for your replies guys.
I haven't been able to find any Netgear media player where I live. I like the A210 option, but it's probably a bit too expensive, I don't know.

The thing is I tried a WD TV Live (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330) today, and played flawlessly some movies I have issues with. What do you guys think of this player? It's pretty cheap compared to this high end solutions, and bearing in mind I'm not gonna be using neither NAS or streaming for my video playing...

I'm too confused, too many options in the market!

DVE
16-12-10, 23:49
@clueluzz:

Collect media players, eh? :mrgreen:

clueluzz
17-12-10, 16:08
@DVE:

I've become facinated at what these things can do :) originally bought one for myself, then my parents want one, my brother, etc. Each of the players suit each of the user at home (like the DVR for recording TV). Since there was a player in each room, I had to distribute the media files somehow hence the NAS.

I like the c200 best (despite the bugs that it has like 24p sync issue you posted), and the pohd mini second (because it's so portable). The eGreat machines have the Dune interface which I don't like as much but the system settings are extremely extensive.

I'm hoping popcorn will create a pohd mini sized player with all the features of the c200. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the playonGUI2.0

What player do you use?

DVE
18-12-10, 00:03
@DVE:

I've become facinated at what these things can do :) originally bought one for myself, then my parents want one, my brother, etc. Each of the players suit each of the user at home (like the DVR for recording TV). Since there was a player in each room, I had to distribute the media files somehow hence the NAS.

I like the c200 best (despite the bugs that it has like 24p sync issue you posted), and the pohd mini second (because it's so portable). The eGreat machines have the Dune interface which I don't like as much but the system settings are extremely extensive.

I'm hoping popcorn will create a pohd mini sized player with all the features of the c200. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the playonGUI2.0

What player do you use?Oh, OK, I see . . . money is no object. :mrgreen:
Me? I have an A1080 (x1). ;)