PDA

View Full Version : Where to install - PC or NAS

The_Tango
04-01-11, 18:12
I have a homebrew NAS using Windows Server 2003 as the OS. From this box I share all my Music, Videos, DVDs (ISO).

I am currently using an O!Play (junk) but am waiting for a Netgear NTV550 to be delivered from endless backorder.

My question is should I install/run yadis on the NAS or from another PC I have on my network? The NAS is on 24/7 but the other PCs are on only as needed. The structure on the NAS has shared directories:

\Television
\Movies
\Music

The Television has directories under it with of the shows.
The Movies has no directories - only ISOs.

Thanks

flugs
04-01-11, 19:10
Salut,

you can install yaDIS on a PC you are only using when needed (I would prefer, as I do not like application installed on a data-server).
yaDIS itself is not needed once the export has been done.
yaDIS is collecting all information about your media-files and the exports an interface compatible for the Dune. You only need to have the location of this export available all time (so either the NAS or (what I would suggest) a local storage device of the Dune (USB/HDD).

You have spoken about some other devices, but I'm not sure, if they are compatible with yaDIS. Normally it has been made for Dune devices (the export uses functionality specific to Dune).

A+
flugs

The_Tango
04-01-11, 19:16
I guess I am hoping that the basic export will be added and I can use the software with a "Netgear Neo TV550". I don't know if even that would work but though I would give it a try.

I like the fact that each ISO does NOT have to be in its own directory.

flugs
04-01-11, 19:24
Salut,

good luck.
From what I know, there are technical or conceptional reason why the basic export has been removed, but in the end only Fred-L could say, if this could/will be reactivated (but I would not count on it).

A+
flugs

yannis
04-01-11, 20:10
I have a homebrew NAS using Windows Server 2003 as the OS. From this box I share all my Music, Videos, DVDs (ISO).

I am currently using an O!Play (junk) but am waiting for a Netgear NTV550 to be delivered from endless backorder.

My question is should I install/run yadis on the NAS or from another PC I have on my network? The NAS is on 24/7 but the other PCs are on only as needed. The structure on the NAS has shared directories:

\Television
\Movies
\Music

The Television has directories under it with of the shows.
The Movies has no directories - only ISOs.

Thanks

Yadis is for the Dune - it won't work on the Netgear.