PDA

View Full Version : opinions / solutions for changing my storage solution

allineedisbass
05-07-11, 10:55
Hope this OK to use this section of the forum for my questions. It fits more threads forums, but since yaDIS is my No. 1 tool for organizing, I decided to post here.

I am looking for opinions / solutions for changing my storage solution that I am using with yaDIS and my DUNE BASE 3.0.

Currently I am running 3 Windows Home Server Machines, totalling approx. 50 TB of data. As you can imagine power requirements are rising, with the attached increasing electricity bill.

Now I had the idea of dismanteling all WHS boxes and switch to single HDD's attached via E-Sata (Sharkoon docking station) to my dune and use basic export on the HDD's from within yaDIS to have a nice GUI for the single HDD's.

Is there a downside to doing this? I suppose maintenance will be higher (now I just fill one of the servers, io HDD for HDD). Are there other disadvantages?

How do you guys/girls store your data? Maybe something I haven't considerd.

Storage use will increase, so I am looking for a solution that can easily grow.

Maybe some other data hogs around?

Cheers,

skank
05-07-11, 10:59
Unraid with 20x3 TB hdd's :) (in 1 machine)

Foefie
05-07-11, 13:25
I got a synology NAS and very happy about it.
The newest ones can be extended up to 100GB ... what more would you need :)

And their power consumtion is very good ...

skank
05-07-11, 14:49
I got a synology NAS and very happy about it.
The newest ones can be extended up to 100GB ... what more would you need :)

And their power consumtion is very good ...

He has 50 TB data, and you say 100 GB? lol
A NAS wont do ;)

nada2k
05-07-11, 16:42
Synology DS3611xs (http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS3611xs&lang=enu) :shock::)

skank
05-07-11, 16:50
Synology DS3611xs (http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS3611xs&lang=enu) :shock::)

•Max Internal Capacity : 36TB (12X 3TB HDD)

thats not 100 tb ;) they get 100 TB if you use external drives...
misleading !!!

with unraid, you can get up to 20x3tb :) instead of 12x3tb + its muuuuuuuuuch cheaper
more options etc etc

allineedisbass
05-07-11, 18:04
I looked at Unraid (2-3 years back), but some of my hardware was not compatible, my raid cards needed a custom kernel (which I don't know how to write). I could upgrade all drives to 2 or 3 TB which gives essentially the same storage on one box as I would get when using e.g. Unraid (have 2x18 drives and 1x12 drives) and build from there. But then even when upgrading to 3TB drives, one server would be almost at max capacity right from the start and I would still need a second server. Electricity bill will still be an issue. Not to mention all hard drives that are "left over" after upgrading (selling them will yield almost no return).

That's why I was looking into using single drives. Only need to power on drive at a time (noiw all drives are spinned up in the WHS boxes).

Maintaining a decent overview is my biggest concern. On which drive is what content?

allineedisbass
05-07-11, 18:17
Had a quick look at the synology suggestion. Although it is scalable to 100TB with the extension modules, I would essentially replace my current 3 servers with 3 synology variants. And paying between 3500 to 4500 EURO for this (excluding HDD's).

Foefie
07-07-11, 08:18
He has 50 TB data, and you say 100 GB? lol
A NAS wont do ;)

OK, I meant 100TB :)
I currently got 16TB and I'm going to order the newest NAS from synology to replace my existing setup. Expanding it with those extra external disks is not a real hassle with Synology ... works like a charm

I currently got a 1010 with a DX510 expansion.

Jack.Bauer
08-07-11, 02:45
Build a new unraid server.

Cheaper than other NAS's, and more power efficient.

allineedisbass
11-07-11, 09:54
Okay over the weekend and after some experiments I decided to swap all existing HDD's with higher capacity ones and increase storage in that way.

Tried the single disc approach. Although it works fine with basic export, I don't think it will be practical with 50TB+ (keeping track of what is where, etc...).

As for power-consumption, I got a watt meter at the local DIY store and I was positively surprised. All servers are using approx 100W each under load and it drops to around 50-60 when idle. So I suspect there is a different reason for my high electricity bill... .

Thanks for the suggestions!