PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Zappiti and Dune H1 ( internal HDD )

amosmar
31-10-11, 16:27
Having read many threads and looked at the setup guide for zappiti on internal ( non networked HDD ), have scanned media and scraped 1 move using zappiti ( all good ) i have formatted hdd per Dune to EXT2 but any attempts to access hdd via windows fails as it claims it isn't formatted but formating to NTFS fail as "unable to complete"? Do I need to format it using linux?

MarkE19
31-10-11, 20:13
How are you trying to access the EXT2 formatted HDD in the Dune - across the network via SMB or NFS shares or via a USB connection.
Windows will not natively support an EXT2 formatted HDD if access via USB. If you want to keep this connection then your best bet is to format the HDD on the PC to NTFS. Or you could find a program that gives Windows access to EXT2 formatted HDD's.
If accessing the HDD across the network then the way the HDD is formatted should not matter and therefore the EXT2 HDD should be accessable by the PC. Just map a network drive to the Dune and you should easily be able to access it.

Mark.

amosmar
31-10-11, 21:20
MarkE19 thanks for replying, I have just used Padavan's software to format my 3TB internal HDD from EXT2 to now using EXT3 which i see windows xp doesn't support either, am connecting using a usb cable from pc to dune, now I just need to find software as you say that lets windows see my drive.

1) I have a linux reader that shows the drive but that doesn't help me as I see zappiti needs the shared path ( hdd location ) to export the database to, is the only other way to network the HDD?

2) Also as my pc hdd is smaller than the Dune's I assume I must disable any cleanup / synching between the pc & Dune when updating the Dune with movies?

3) Is it possible to export the database / move movie files to the Dune easily in any other way apart from networking?

MarkE19
31-10-11, 22:39
Connecting the PC to Dune via USB is not networking - you use network cables (CAT5e) via your broadband router for both the Dune & PC to 'network' them. If you do this then the PC wont care how the Dune HDD is formatted. The Dune then acts as a NAS and will just be seen by the PC as a networked HDD that you can drag & drop files to.

Alternatively you could remove the HDD from the Dune and connect it directly to the PC. Format it as NTFS and then return it to the Dune. You can then use the USB connection and both the Dune & PC will be able to read it. Or wait for the next firmware due any time now as that is reported to be able to format a HDD to NTFS.

Mark.

amosmar
05-11-11, 12:17
Having decided to keep the existing setup - ext4 file system I was hoping to connect using ubuntu but having to re-install that, in the meantime have been trying to connect to my dune H1 using my pc but still no joy, is there anywhere on the Dune where i need to give it permissions for my pc to access it?

MarkE19
05-11-11, 14:28
Setup > Applications > SMB Server
Enabled: Yes

Mark.

amosmar
07-11-11, 19:42
Thanks, seems i already have that setup but pc gives error message stating that it doesn't have permissions to access Dune device, I will keep trying

amosmar
15-11-11, 00:03
Having managed to see the dune H1 in my network places ( most probably by blind luck ), I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a very simple step by step guide to connecting over the network and the preferred method of transfering files and expected speeds as found the process incredibly slow. I still cannot format the dune hdd to ntfs ( in or out of the media player ) and yet to find software for windows xp that shows my 3tb hdd in the dune H1. Any help would be appreciated...

MarkE19
15-11-11, 14:39
None of the Dune media players currently support HDD's bigger than 2Tb - so you wont get a 3Tb HDD to work well in a Dune. Some people here say they have had limited luck by partitioning the HDD into smaller sections, but even then can only access the first 2Tb of the HDD.

Mark.

hdalex
15-11-11, 21:37
off topic:
hey Mark mate you saved me a couple of bucks thanks a lot.
I planed to buy a bigger HDD and it supposed to be a 3 TB WD. Now as you explained - it won´t work with Dune. :-)

amosmar
16-11-11, 13:22
Thanks for your reply Mark, using Padavan's tool I was able to format the WD 3tb hdd while within the Dune H1 upto 2.8tb ext3 file system with 1.9GB system storage but obviously lost some 200gb somewhere along the way. As you say Dune only sees 2.2tb if you use it's own formatting tools to ext2 file system, but I have made some progress and understand you have to have windows xp pro 64bit or windows 7 / vista to see the larger hdd sizes and convert the drive to GPT rather than the default MBR, seeing as i'm stuck with this hdd for now, i will keep tinkering

amosmar
16-11-11, 16:23
Additional....having finally established a connection to the Dune H1, I have transferred files manually at about 5 mb/s and have managed to export the Zappiti database to the Dune H1 and even got Dune to see 3TB of hdd space. Still some questions:

1) There is no option to add the Zappiti database to the main screen in any menu options I can see and copying over leaves an empty folder. ( Main screen currently shows Sources / TV / Favourites / Apps / Setup ( I am using "tabs" view ) Is it possible to create shortcuts with the Dune H1?

2) Am I right in thinking that in order for the zappiti database to work properly - that the "New movies folder" and "New TV Shows" folder are the ones located on the Dune H1 internal HDD and therefore any files need to be dragged and dropped to the Dune HDD before configuring the Zappiti software on the PC, ie configuring the paths?

amosmar
17-11-11, 20:48
For anyone just setting up and having problems like me with using an internal hdd in a Dune player, hopefully the below will help, cannot confirm all the below is the absolute way to setup on the internal hdd but it worked for me:

after posting in another forum and playing files without the zappiti interface it became obvious that the iso files were fine it was just the zappiti configuration.

Thanks to Gugs on that setup guide page http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...-for-the-dune/ the below needs to be followed so that the absolute paths are blank and that the dvd folders be subfolders of the zappiti folder, this requires updating the paths of the dvds by editing them on the pc by selecting them through the connection via "entire network". Anyway i'm no expert but now i can use zappiti and play back iso files on my internal hdd on the Dune H1:

1 First map the drives with the media, e.g. via the Explorer.
2 Pick the folders from the mapped drives in Zappiti (New Movies Folder) by using the drop downs. However, pick them by using ‘My Network Places>Entire Network>Dune>media folder’ rather then mapping the mapped drives (e.g. X:\Movies). Note, Zappiti fills in the the Absolute Path automatically(smb://192.166.0.6/hard_disk_30b047cdb047986c/Zappiti/movies). I removed to changed these as below, in my case:

Share Path:
\\Dune\hard_disk_30b047cdb047986c\Zappiti

Dune Internal Hard Drive:
\\Dune\hard_disk_30b047cdb047986c\Zappiti\movies
Absolute path = removed the one specified by Zappiti, as it is on the Share path i.e. none specified

\\Dune\hard_disk_30b047cdb047986c\Zappiti\TV Shows
Absolute path = removed the one specified by Zappiti, as it is on the Share path i.e. none specified.

blackshadownl
24-12-11, 15:13
What im doing wrong here:

http://www.rindertzijlstra.nl/zap1.jpg

http://www.rindertzijlstra.nl/zap2.jpg

http://www.rindertzijlstra.nl/zap3.jpg

MarkE19
24-12-11, 16:16
You are trying to get the Dune to use drive mappings that are only valid on your PC - ie Z: & Y:
To get the Dune to play the media stored on the HDD's you need to setup the folder paths with the full network path as the Dune doesn't know what Z: or Y: is.
All my media is on my server with a video share set as V: on my PC, but in Zappiti I use the full path which is \\tower\video\DVD or \\tower\video\BluRay and a TV folder as \\tower\video\TV - where \\tower is the network name of my server, \video is the share with all my video media and the last section is the folders for each type of media.

Mark.

blackshadownl
24-12-11, 18:14
You are trying to get the Dune to use drive mappings that are only valid on your PC - ie Z: & Y:
To get the Dune to play the media stored on the HDD's you need to setup the folder paths with the full network path as the Dune doesn't know what Z: or Y: is.
All my media is on my server with a video share set as V: on my PC, but in Zappiti I use the full path which is \\tower\video\DVD or \\tower\video\BluRay and a TV folder as \\tower\video\TV - where \\tower is the network name of my server, \video is the share with all my video media and the last section is the folders for each type of media.

Mark.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your reply. In the situation you are describing there is a server with all the videos on it. I use not a server, I only use the internal disks of het dune hd duo.

Do you have any idea how to make this work? I searched a lot of forums and i can't find my answer.

On http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/08/13/guide-setting-up-zappiti-for-the-dune/ there is a tutorial, only this tutorial is also for an external diskdrive in a network.

What i need is what to put in the input boxes

MarkE19
25-12-11, 13:44
If you look at post #13 you will see how amosmar has Zappiti set to work with internal HDD's.

I know you don't have a server for your media, I was just trying to show that you couldn't use PC drive mappings and need to use the full network path for the Dune to be able to access your media.

Mark.

amosmar
29-12-11, 17:05
Blackshadownl, to clarify the rewrite absolute paths of the zappiti configuration on your computer should be blank and the movie and tv shows folders need to be subfolders of your folder containing the _zappiti database file on your dune device ( ie they need to be the same location as the _zappiti database file ), hope this helps