PDA

View Full Version : Export to several Dune's simultaneously

ls1969
08-11-11, 20:21
Hi - anyone know if it's possible to export to 3 different (1 x BD Prime 3.0 + 2 x HD Lite 53D) Dune's simultaneously? I want to store yaDIS locally on each machine as the interface reacts slower if I run it from my NAS - Synology DS410.....

Thank's

evt
08-11-11, 22:57
Hi - anyone know if it's possible to export to 3 different (1 x BD Prime 3.0 + 2 x HD Lite 53D) Dune's simultaneously? I want to store yaDIS locally on each machine as the interface reacts slower if I run it from my NAS - Synology DS410.....

Thank's

If you can figure out how to do this I'd be interested too as I have two Dune players as well. I tried doing this but the only way I could figure out was to recreate the index, it got to me too much of a pain as I generally add a title or two every week so recreating from scratch twice a week (once for each player) seemed like too big an aggrivation so I settled on leaving it on my WHS.

KYThrill
09-11-11, 04:32
I use unRAID. I export the index to unRAID and then have my unRAID server to schedule a daily rsync of multiple Dunes (which I have installed rsync on as well).

It's all automated, so I don't do anything other than export from yaDIS one time if I make a change. All my networked Dunes will pick up the changes in 24 hours or less. Rsync is fast too, as it only transmits changes and not complete indexes.

evt
09-11-11, 18:13
Interesting, I don't suppose you know of a way I could accomplish this via my WHS?

Also, if you had to quantify, how much faster is browsing directly on the Dune relative to browsing by accessing your unRAID server?

KYThrill
09-11-11, 22:15
Interesting, I don't suppose you know of a way I could accomplish this via my WHS?

Also, if you had to quantify, how much faster is browsing directly on the Dune relative to browsing by accessing your unRAID server?

I never browsed the index on the unRAID server, so I couldn't say. I've used a HDD or SSD since day one. The server is really just a scratch disk for yaDIS to export to and for my rsync script to access. I don't keep the index on there.

I know nothing about WHS, so I couldn't help you there. I do know that there are a couple of Windows based rsync clients. So in theory, if you find one with command line execution, you should be able to write a similar script to work in Windows.

evt
09-11-11, 22:19
I never browsed the index on the unRAID server, so I couldn't say. I've used a HDD or SSD since day one. The server is really just a scratch disk for yaDIS to export to and for my rsync script to access. I don't keep the index on there.

I know nothing about WHS, so I couldn't help you there. I do know that there are a couple of Windows based rsync clients. So in theory, if you find one with command line execution, you should be able to write a similar script to work in Windows.

Thanks, it sounds like you have a nice setup, I'll have to look into trying to do this for my WHS.

KYThrill
09-11-11, 22:57
Thanks, it sounds like you have a nice setup, I'll have to look into trying to do this for my WHS.

It is a very nice setup, but it has taken alot of time and frustration to get there.

It helped that I have full wife buy-in. Just last night she said our Dune system was the best investment we ever made (way better than DVR). I said, "Honey, you don't even know how much this cost us." Her response, "It doesn't matter, it was still the best investment we ever made." This from someone who freaks if I buy our son a $100 Lego once every two or three months.

So I pretty much have a blank check to spend what I need to get the right equipment in place and no arguments if I need to spend a couple of nights playing with scripts and add-ons.

And this is just Phase 1... so I'm just getting started.

alexsquared
09-11-11, 23:05
I have heard of others using the rsync utility to do this as well. It appears this utility only syncs the updated files, which makes the update fairly quick. I currently only have one dune (second is awaiting summer for the outdoor fun) and I upload to the thumb drive via FTP. It takes about 5-7 minutes to do a full upload of my current zappiti files, so it's not outrageously long. I use CoreFTP (free) to do the upload. Server is Windows server 2008 R2.

KYThrill
10-11-11, 04:12
I have heard of others using the rsync utility to do this as well. It appears this utility only syncs the updated files, which makes the update fairly quick. I currently only have one dune (second is awaiting summer for the outdoor fun) and I upload to the thumb drive via FTP. It takes about 5-7 minutes to do a full upload of my current zappiti files, so it's not outrageously long. I use CoreFTP (free) to do the upload. Server is Windows server 2008 R2.

Yes, rsync will only update files that are new or changed. It actually syncs just the small part of the file that changed vs the previous version, so it isn't even a full file sync in case of a change. Very fast and efficient after the initial sync.