PDA

View Full Version : yaDIS Grouper (yaDISG)

KYThrill
17-12-11, 06:10
Well, I started worked on a yaDIS Grouper app tonight. It's really rough right now (programmed it in Visual Basic of all things), but it was enough to prove out the concept. I haven't really programmed in anything outside of Labview since 2003, and before that the bulk of my experience was in VB. Ultimately I would like to do this in Java, Flash, or something more modern to teach myself a new programming environment.

Basically, it works on index yaDIS generates. The index is all graphics and text files, so its rather easy to modify. So what the app does is load the all movies portion of the yaDIS index (00/00). You create a new group, then are shown a list of all the folder names in the yaDIS all movies index. Put a check box beside each you want in that group. For the time being, there is also a sort order field, which you must manually enter a sort number for each checked entry (I said it was rough). You can then save this information as a profile, which you can reload and use again later.

Once you have made all your groups, you process the profile. The program first creates new group folders in the All Movies index. It then copies the index entries you selected into the group folders (you can copy one movie to many folders). It copies pre-made icon.aii files for the group icon, which are stored in another location you specify for each group. It writes the dune_folder.txt files and hides the grouped individual movie index entries. This lets you keep the links to individual films for actors, alpha, genres, etc. that yaDIS creates, but removes the grouped films from the All Movies view.

If you make changes to yaDIS and export, all groups get blown away. So you must load the profile and re-process each time you export yaDIS.

It's still along way from anything I would want to release on someone. I haven't tested any error handling (like what if you load a profile containing a film you have deleted from yaDIS). I also don't know if there is a limit to the number of title folders I can hide in the All Movies index, or if there will be any kind of slow down if the list gets too large. And as I said before, the interface is real clunky and I would like to do it in something more modern. I would also like to have it auto generate the group art using the template masks, vs doing it in Photoshop before hand with the the template masks.

But similar to Zappiti, you get this:

http://i.imgur.com/UjTnJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0eKke.jpg

And the gold turning page overlay didn't end up looking anywhere as neat as I thought it would. I'll have to give group art identification some more thought. I thought maybe a banner across the bottom that just says GROUP, or even copy Zappiti's G. I don't know. Too late to think about it anymore.

skank
17-12-11, 07:35
Why do you do this while Fred-L is spending time to make this?

dvbuljan
17-12-11, 08:40

Why not? We all contribute to this community, and everyone is welcome. Better solution will be accepted. One thing thou, he should ask Fred_L to change his program. And I think Fred_L would not mind. Besides I'm sure Fred_L solution would be fantastic. But in the meantime...

calahan
17-12-11, 10:08

Cause he make this Feature instead talking about half Year...

Respect ,you a man of deeds;)

Mr Eric
17-12-11, 10:09
So basically you've done what Fred is going to do. But you said it was not what you were waiting for...?

I don't get it :confused: are you ok with Fred's idea or not ?

flugs
17-12-11, 11:17
Salut,

Great idea KYThrill.
I was already thinking on a small app, which is able to work on the index created on the Dune (mainly to have some more graphical elements in yaDIS, like graphical Genre Index, Actor Index with photos, etc), but I have never found the time.

What do you think about open source?
Like this a lot of others could participate on such projects and we could group forces.

A+
flugs

DuneLover
17-12-11, 11:22
Cause he make this Feature instead talking about half Year...

The way i read this, it is no compliment for Fred-L I hope i'm wrong cause Fred-L put alot of his free time into this project, also offers the programm for NO COST at all.

@KYThrill, why don't you work together with FRED-L? that way there are two people making a great program even greater :D

DuneLover

flugs
17-12-11, 11:22
So basically you've done what Fred is going to do. But you said it was not what you were waiting for...?

I don't get it :confused: are you ok with Fred's idea or not ?

Salut,

Fred-L is implementing the Saga-feature, whereas KYThrill wants to implement the generic group functionality (the one which already exists in Zappiti), which has been discussed in the thread of the Saga functionality.

They are in some points similar, but mainly it does not have the restriction of "one movie can only belong to one Saga/group".

Quoting KYThrill:
"...(you can copy one movie to many folders)..."

A+
flugs

flugs
17-12-11, 11:35
The way i read this, it is no compliment for Fred-L I hope i'm wrong cause Fred-L put alot of his free time into this project, also offers the programm for NO COST at all.

@KYThrill, why don't you work together with FRED-L? that way there are two people making a great program even greater :D

DuneLover

Salut,

I do not see the problem of the approach of KYThrill.
I do not think he wants to replace yaDIS, but he wants to implement a specific functionality he does not find in yaDIS.

This application will do nothing without yaDIS.
There are a lot of examples, where small applications or scripts are created on specific functionality to extend/modify the result of a general application like yaDIS (there is already another for yaDIS to allow to handle Seen/Unseen).

There has been a long discussion about this specific feature in the Saga functionality thread and there were some different opinions.

Fred-L has decided to provide a functionality and KYThrill has decided to search a way to implement the functionality he wants.
Possibly there are others who like this as well.

I think it is a good way as the yaDIS community is becoming bigger and bigger (congratulation to Fred-L for this) especially since Zappiti has important stability issues and leaks some major functionality (templates!).
This would mean the requirements will become more and more and if Fred-L will keep yaDIS simple to use, it will be difficult to implement all different requirements (also regarding the time needed).

So having modules like this allow people to use what they want without impacting the general line of yaDIS and possibly some ideas will find their way into core yaDIS branch (because they will proof to be good ones).

A+
flugs

skank
17-12-11, 13:10

DuneLover

i agree
In some way i think it shows some disrespect to what Fred-L is doing...
And in the example here in the first post, that is a saga, so how is it different from what Fred-L is doing?

flugs
17-12-11, 13:30
i agree
And in the example here in the first post, that is a saga, so how is it different from what Fred-L is doing?

Salut,

Fred-L has defined Saga with "One movie can only belong to one Saga" relation.
Several other users (including me) have expressed the requirement of having the possibility of the relation "One movie can belong to an unlimited number of Saga/Groups) during the discussion of the Saga functionality. That is the whole difference.

As Fred-L will not implement this feature (at least it is what he said in the thread), KYThrill has decided to implement something to obtain it.

I do not get the point of disrespecting Fred-L and his excelent work in doing and sharing his work (he could have implement this and keep it for him, but I suppose from the thread he thought other yaDIS user could be interested).
Nobody was saying that the application to handle Seen/Unseen is disrepecting the work Fred-L, so why this one does?

A+
flugs

DuneLover
17-12-11, 13:39
I'm NOT saying that KYThrill's input is disrespectful to Fred-L in any way, just asking if maybe they can join forces so they make an even better program that will work great and does what everybody wants....
Offcourse it is good if more people join in in improving and finetuning the program, but i think it is better if 10 people work on 1 project then 10 people work on 10 different projects who may well have the same outcome in the end.

I think the remark of Calahan "Cause he make this Feature instead talking about half Year..." might be disrespectful towards Fred-L... but maybe i read it the wrong way

DuneLover

Mr Eric
17-12-11, 14:33
I don't think that KYthrill's creation is a problem for anyone, on the contrary, it's always good to see someone trying to bring new answer to a specific requirement.

In fact, I simply think that you and Fred are not speaking about the same thing (might be because we are French and we like to use one word for one thing and not another :mrgreen:). When everybody asked for a saga system in yadis, it was clear that this should have been dedicated to movies and movies only. From this start point, a movie in a saga should only be related to one saga only, that's purely logical.

Now, you're looking to something completely different from the sagas as Fred (and I) understands it, something which is a grouping system for various types of files and which is far away from a saga system.

This should be considered as another evolution for yadis IMO. Something that Fred might build over the current saga system he will do.

Just wait for his first draft, then everybody will be able to say "ok, that fits my needs" or "could we tweak a bit this and this" or even "that's absolutely not what I was talking about which was in fact xxxx and you should consider to add it in your roadmap for a next version".

That was my 2cents :wink:

calahan
17-12-11, 14:49
[QUOTE=DuneLover;231220]I'm NOT saying that KYThrill's input is disrespectful to Fred-L in any way, just asking if maybe they can join forces so they make an even better program that will work great and does what everybody wants....
Offcourse it is good if more people join in in improving and finetuning the program, but i think it is better if 10 people work on 1 project then 10 people work on 10 different projects who may well have the same outcome in the end.

I think the remark of Calahan "Cause he make this Feature instead talking about half Year..." might be disrespectful towards Fred-L... but maybe i read it the wrong way

DuneLover[/QUOT

Iam far away from disrespectetful,but i say it again its better to Release the
2.1.8 with Ideas from Fred-L,and after we can discussing about it.

Otherwise it will never find a End of this Topic

Thats my Opinion;)

KYThrill
17-12-11, 17:56
i agree

I can use the cover art I want for one thing. The other is I can group excercise videos, etc. I can put a movie in more than one group. And I don't have to put them on the main menu, just the all movies, movie wall.

And I can do this today (albeit with some manual work on the art). If yaDIS releases something I like equal or better, then I can stop using this method to make groups.

I'd agree that it would be 100% better to be done in yaDIS vs running a second program to modify the output of yaDIS.

But all I'm doing is copying files created by yaDIS to other locations, copying in some new art to those locations that don't have any, and rewriting some text files.

As someone else said, it does nothing without yaDIS. It's like having Photoshop to work with photos, and a second program to sort them the way you want.

KYThrill
17-12-11, 18:06
I'm NOT saying that KYThrill's input is disrespectful to Fred-L in any way, just asking if maybe they can join forces so they make an even better program that will work great and does what everybody wants....

DuneLover

I have worked as a software architect before and have managed programmers on long development projects, but I'm not much of a coder myself. On a scale of 1-10, I'm probably a 4 or 5 and Fred is probably an 8 or 9.

Fred wouldn't need any help on my part to add this functionality to yaDIS. If I can figure out the procedure in one night, Fred could probably implement it in Yadis in a couple of days if he wanted.

But he has said he sees no purpose or logic behind such a feature, so I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon. So instead of waiting and hoping that he might change is mind, I'm going to develop a tool that lets me display my media collection on my Dune the way I want.

Hopefully one day Fred will deliver an equal functionality, as I would rather have one program that does it all, than always needing to run two.

doc1368
17-12-11, 18:41
I'm ready to try it out KYThrill. Upload it please!

DuneLover
17-12-11, 20:09
I have worked as a software architect before and have managed programmers on long development projects, but I'm not much of a coder myself. On a scale of 1-10, I'm probably a 4 or 5 and Fred is probably an 8 or 9.

Fred wouldn't need any help on my part to add this functionality to yaDIS. If I can figure out the procedure in one night, Fred could probably implement it in Yadis in a couple of days if he wanted.

But he has said he sees no purpose or logic behind such a feature, so I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon. So instead of waiting and hoping that he might change is mind, I'm going to develop a tool that lets me display my media collection on my Dune the way I want.

Hopefully one day Fred will deliver an equal functionality, as I would rather have one program that does it all, than always needing to run two.

@ KYThrill Keeping it all in one program was my only thought about this, but if Fred-L said he doesn't see a purpose for it, you should indeed make it yourself offcourse. I wish you good luck with it, maybe i'll download it myself when it's done ;)

@Calahan, sorry for reading your comment the wrong way...

calahan
17-12-11, 21:43
@ KYThrill Keeping it all in one program was my only thought about this, but if Fred-L said he doesn't see a purpose for it, you should indeed make it yourself offcourse. I wish you good luck with it, maybe i'll download it myself when it's done ;)

@Calahan, sorry for reading your comment the wrong way...

Nothing to sorry,its OK;)

KYThrill
18-12-11, 05:29
I'm ready to try it out KYThrill. Upload it please!

Don't hold your breath! It's a long way from something I would release on the public. The first issue I need to tackle is if there is a limit to the number of folders I can hide before the Dune chokes or slows down. I've got about 20 hid right now and don't notice any difference, but once I get everything grouped, I should have well over 100. Then I probably need to do something that tests for 200 or 300 hides for those with really large collections.

doc1368
18-12-11, 06:14
Yah, I was just pushing you a bit. Looks like several months of work ahead of you.

KYThrill
18-12-11, 18:37
Yah, I was just pushing you a bit. Looks like several months of work ahead of you.

If I can test the Dune for limitations and develop the error handling, I might go ahead and release it. After all, the worst it can do is completely screw up your yaDIS index, which you can easily repair by simply exporting again.

doc1368
18-12-11, 18:39
Yup, I'm pretty good at messing up my index all by myself :-)

KYThrill
19-12-11, 07:40
I looked at this for a bit more tonight. I've concluded that if all movie entries were hidden in a .movies folder (a period in front of the folder means it would be hidden by the Dune), with every index being virtual (like actors, genres, etc. already are in Yadis), then what you could do with your index could be incredibly flexible.

Basically, every movie is hidden by default. You create virtual indexes for everything, and display them any way you want. However, this is substantially more complicated (would require rewriting every dune_folder.txt file generated by yaDIS), and I'm not sure I would want to handle that significant a change.

More complicated, but more powerful. Definitely something to consider...

KYThrill
24-12-11, 03:39
Well, I've ran into a stumbling block. I was using the system_files attribute in the dune_folder.txt file to hide folders that had been grouped. I have no problem writing out as many as I want. But it appears that after 1024 characters on that line, the Dune no longer hides any folders specified after that point.

I don't know if the 1024 is a limit imposed by the Dune, or some sort of text file limitation (I know with Notepad ++, it will go on forever, but opening the same file in Notepad will case it to wrap to a second line after 1024 characters). Does anyone know if there is a way to wrap the argument after the = to a second line and have Dune pick it up as one line?

I know when programming, sometimes you can separate with a comma, colon, indent, etc and it will read down to the next line, when you have a really long arguement. But nothing I'm trying is working on the Dune in that regard.