PDA

View Full Version : Problem with covers dissapearing

Filo
22-12-11, 18:22
Hello to everyone,
I'm sorry if this issue has been already discussed but I haven't been able to find posts about it.

Yadis interface is stored on my Prime 3.0 hd but all my movies are on a network share on a pc.

When I select all movies everything is ok but if I go into genre or alphabetical selection or any other kind of subcategory a lot of covers from the wall are blank , they just dissapear. I can still select them and obtain info or enter and see the movie page, just the cover in the "wall" is gone!

I tried mosty anything except rebuilding the library without any improvement.

Do you have any suggestions before I rebuild it from scrap.....4500 titles!! Will take forever....:-(

Thank you.

doc1368
22-12-11, 19:13
I have the same problem. It happens when I change the name or location of the movie. So it's user error. ex: I changed movie folder name from The Two Towers D1 (2002 DTS-HD 6.1 Extended Ed) to 02 The Two Towers D1 (2002 DTS-HD 6.1 Extended Ed) . Did this so I could arrange all my LOTR movies sequentially since there wasn't a saga option. Wound up with what I wanted but later in the list there was a blank space for the cover which when I clicked info listed it as the title without the number before it. So both names were being kept. Reprocessed all the files but still have a few left to fix.

Same occurs in all the other choices you can make from the Menu system, holes where old covers used to be. Not sure exactly how to fix this since I've tried reprocessing all my hard drives. But it is obvious, if you change the name of the folder it will occur.

Filo
22-12-11, 19:19
Hello,
usually if I change the name of folder/file it will appear in the missing list. Anyway the cover is present if I select all movies but it dissapears only in subcategories (ie: year, alphabet letter genre etc)!:confused:

Thank you.

Mr Eric
22-12-11, 19:45
I also had this kind of problem. The way I found to fix it is to delete the yadis index from the hard drive and re-export to clean some broken links. No need for re process or rescrap.

doc1368
23-12-11, 01:24
Mr Eric,

Did you mean - remove all the yaDIS files from the hard drive or are there just certain files you removed?

Thanks, this sounds like an optimal way to fix the problem.

Mr Eric
23-12-11, 01:51
I mean delete the complete dune index created by yadis and rebuilt it from 0 by doing an export.

Filo
23-12-11, 14:30
OOOooopppsss,
I deleted the entire Yadis folder content on the Prime hd and when I opened yadis again on the pc it was a mess!

Nothing works, it doesn't even pick up the movies from the folders...??

Before I had aprox. 4500 movies, there's only 81 left, but the strange thing is that it doesn't pick up the movies even if I re-add the movie folder???

What has the interface on the Prime got to do with the workspace and database on the pc, I mean Yadis has been cancelled from the prime but everything should still be there on the pc, I should just re-export??

I guess I'm missing something??

What if you change your Dune player, do you have to reprocess everything again, I don't think so???

I do have a backup of the Dune workspace on the pc but none of the Prime interface...

Should I just reinstall everything and use my workspace backup??

Thanks.

Mr Eric
23-12-11, 14:45
I think there's a misunderstanding here : i didn't tell you to delete the Yadis program folder (the one in /program files/yadis, containing the workspace, template...folders).

I mean to delete the index created by yadis that your dune is accessing, the one that you selected in the set up under "Dune interface location". Delete everything in it and just keep this "yaDIS" (default name) folder empty. Then make an export, but this time it will be in an empty folder, clean of any old files that could be wrongly read by the dune.

this kind of problem you have seems to be coming when you overwrite, and overwrite, and overwrite...your index every time you do an export. There are parts of this index that could not be correctly overwritten or remaining parts from older export that stay there but are not used (it happens to me mainly when I often change my template), so it's better from time to time to give a clean start to the index building process that begins when you click the "export" button in yadis.

I'm not sure to understand what part you deleted. If you deleted the index as I said, there shouldn't be any impact on yadis on your PC. The index is just an output file from yadis, that the dune will be able to read. There's no link between yadis on your PC and this index. But there's a deep link effectively between the workspace and yadis...

At least you have a backup of your workspace, so you didn't lose anything.

doc1368
23-12-11, 17:39
I deleted the catalog files from my usb thumbdrive and re-exported everything as you suggested. Seemed to work 95% i.e. most of the missing icons were fixed however, some menu categories still had missing icons. I fixed those manually by editing the xml files on the pc and re-exported again. 100% fixed now.

So it seems yaDIS doesn't remove old listings when you have changed some title names. It keeps all the old stuff and just ADDS the new changes to the xml file hence, you have 2 listings for your movie. Wish there was an easier way of correcting this.

Thanks for the help Mr Eric.

Filo
23-12-11, 17:54
Hello,
there was no misunderstanding and I wasn't suggesting that you gave me wrong advide, I'm actually very thankfull for your help.

I just deleted all the content in the Yadis folder on my Dune Prime (interface location), the Yadis folder and workspace on the PC was untouched.
That's exactly why I don't understand how this mess can be possible, there shouldn't be any relationship, I've checked and my previous backup (made prior to the deletion of the interface but after the missing covers showed up!!) corresponds exactly to the Yadis folder on the PC so nothing was touched.

I just think that maybe Yadis just got messed up by itself (???) and it's just a coincidence that it happened after the deletion of the interface folder??

Anyway the backup is identical so I guess if I exchange it it still would be messed up, tomorrow I will try to reinstall from scratch and pop in my saved workspace.....

Thanks.

flugs
23-12-11, 20:00
I deleted the catalog files from my usb thumbdrive and re-exported everything as you suggested. Seemed to work 95% i.e. most of the missing icons were fixed however, some menu categories still had missing icons. I fixed those manually by editing the xml files on the pc and re-exported again. 100% fixed now.

So it seems yaDIS doesn't remove old listings when you have changed some title names. It keeps all the old stuff and just ADDS the new changes to the xml file hence, you have 2 listings for your movie. Wish there was an easier way of correcting this.

Thanks for the help Mr Eric.

Salut,

Fred-L has added a new functionaly (Advanced functions: one of the buttons right in the toolbar, which allows to delete the local interface of yaDIS. As far as I understand, this interface allows yaDIS to export only things which have been changed.
Sometimes for some reason this can be out of sync.
I have had this several times deleting the local interface was helping.

So, if you still have problems once you have restored your backup, try to use this re-process and re-export.
Normally this should do the job.

It is also useful to reboot the Dune after a new export to avoid problems related to the cache of the Dune.

A+
flugs

Mr Eric
23-12-11, 21:17
Hello,
there was no misunderstanding and I wasn't suggesting that you gave me wrong advide, I'm actually very thankfull for your help.

I just deleted all the content in the Yadis folder on my Dune Prime (interface location), the Yadis folder and workspace on the PC was untouched.
That's exactly why I don't understand how this mess can be possible, there shouldn't be any relationship, I've checked and my previous backup (made prior to the deletion of the interface but after the missing covers showed up!!) corresponds exactly to the Yadis folder on the PC so nothing was touched.

I just think that maybe Yadis just got messed up by itself (???) and it's just a coincidence that it happened after the deletion of the interface folder??

Anyway the backup is identical so I guess if I exchange it it still would be messed up, tomorrow I will try to reinstall from scratch and pop in my saved workspace.....

Thanks.

No problem, I was scared that you made a big mistake because I wasn't clear enough ;)

And effectively, flug is right and I totally forgot about the new button in yadis that claen automatically the index !

But the last time I tried it, it didn't do anything, might be a problem from my pc...so that's why I'm doing it manually anyway.

Filo
25-12-11, 15:30
Thanks again guys and merry Christmas to all....

doc1368
25-12-11, 17:45
Salut,

Fred-L has added a new functionaly (Advanced functions: one of the buttons right in the toolbar, which allows to delete the local interface of yaDIS. As far as I understand, this interface allows yaDIS to export only things which have been changed.
Sometimes for some reason this can be out of sync.
I have had this several times deleting the local interface was helping.

So, if you still have problems once you have restored your backup, try to use this re-process and re-export.
Normally this should do the job.

It is also useful to reboot the Dune after a new export to avoid problems related to the cache of the Dune.

A+
flugs

Thanks flugs. Not sure I understand what "delete the local interface" does. I've not tried it because of that. I thought it might delete stuff from the (local??) workspace folder?? So are you saying it deletes the Dune Interface Location files, where the exported files are that the Dune reads???

If so, that's awesome. But I don't see the advantage of doing that as opposed to just manually deleting them.

The problem is with the files on the pc where there are duplicate entries of a movie (due to user error). So it seems like those same files would still be exported over.

Not complaining, just trying to better understand this great program and how to use it more effectively.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

flugs
25-12-11, 18:35
Salut,

As I already mentioned, yaDIS creates a local interface (this interface is not the interface the exported interface use by the Dune).
I assume this interface is used for comparison with the interface on the Dune (allowing the incremental update).

You can either use the function of yaDIS or manually delete it.
Reprocessing and exporting will then do a full rebuild and export of the interface.

A+
flugs