PDA

View Full Version : New Dune User / yaDIS question

Wiggum
04-03-12, 15:21
HI all,

New Dune D1 user. I have a popcorn hour A-210 and 3 WD live boxes in the other rooms of the house and so far in the two days I've been playing around with the Dune I love it.

I currently have a Synology DS411+ that I keep my Movie and TV Shows on. I also put a HDD into the Dune (Had one lying around.)

I setup yaDIS lastnight. Is it best to export the yaDIS to my Dune HDD or create a folder on the NAS for it? I was even thinking of adding one of my extra SSD's to the Dune instead but that I can do anything.

One other thing is while I was messing around with setting up my NFS for movie files and the SMB for my TV Shows (For some reason I cannot get NFS to work for the TV Shows) I noticed that if I tried to play a movie and it didn't work that the next time I went back to play a movie the Dune would restart.

NOTE
I just realized that I can put a usb memory stick inside the DUNE. I am going to put a 16gb inside that I have here. Would putting the yaDIS onto the storage portion of that be better then the internal HDD or best on the NAS.

Stalkers
04-03-12, 18:55
Hey mate
i apologize for my english... not my native tounge

Im fairly new to the Dune and YADIS myself but i have decided to put my YADIS folder in a shared folder on my NAS.

The greatest benefit i can se is that i only need to update one location (i.e. My foler on the nas and i get virtually "unlimited space" there.
Another reason i see is if you like me have 2 dune players (kids room and living room) i only need to update one Yadis folder and the dune players connect to this share.
Third and probably the most important reason is that i have better disaster security on my NAS than on my dune single harddrive. (if you have a disk crash then your YADIS folder would be lost to ya). I donīt have a large movie/TV Show collection but it still takes forever to Scrape them when i have to change something.

note: I had trouble with SMB and the NASyadis folder to begin with. I had to switch to NFS for the Yadis folder and keep SMB for the movie shares. The trouble was that dune (atleast my dunes) cant keep 2 different SMB shares at the same time.(i.e. one SMBshare for YADIS and the other for actually accessing the movie and watching it.)

hope this helps you some.

Wiggum
04-03-12, 20:18
Hey mate
i apologize for my english... not my native tounge

Im fairly new to the Dune and YADIS myself but i have decided to put my YADIS folder in a shared folder on my NAS.

The greatest benefit i can se is that i only need to update one location (i.e. My foler on the nas and i get virtually "unlimited space" there.
Another reason i see is if you like me have 2 dune players (kids room and living room) i only need to update one Yadis folder and the dune players connect to this share.
Third and probably the most important reason is that i have better disaster security on my NAS than on my dune single harddrive. (if you have a disk crash then your YADIS folder would be lost to ya). I donīt have a large movie/TV Show collection but it still takes forever to Scrape them when i have to change something.

note: I had trouble with SMB and the NASyadis folder to begin with. I had to switch to NFS for the Yadis folder and keep SMB for the movie shares. The trouble was that dune (atleast my dunes) cant keep 2 different SMB shares at the same time.(i.e. one SMBshare for YADIS and the other for actually accessing the movie and watching it.)

hope this helps you some.

I didn't know what would be considered the best method of storing the yaDIS. I thought about it on the NAS HDD but didn't know if there was any benefit to having it on the DUNE itself and if so what storage location (usb storage inside device or the internal HDD)

I was able to setup NFS on the Movie HDD in my NAS with no problem. The TV Shows HDD is the one giving me problems. All settings appear to be equal. Just odd. I did SMB for the TV Shows and can probably live with it because the quality/Sound is not as good as it is on the movies.

yannis
04-03-12, 23:10
.....snip

.......snip

For info, there is a way to get at your movies and yadis at the same time, without having to resort to NFS.

What you need to do is create a shared folder at the root of your NAS and call it something like "Media". Then move both your movie folders and the yadis folder into this. So your structue will look something like "NasName\Media\Movies" and "NasName\Media\Yadis". Then as far as the Dune is concerned, there is only a single network smb share which is "NasName\Media" but all your movies and yadis reside within it and are accessible at the same time.

Edit. Of course you can also creat other foldrs within "Media" such as "TvShows" so you'd also have "NasName\Media\TV Shows" and it's still only the same smb share.

Wiggum
05-03-12, 12:38
For info, there is a way to get at your movies and yadis at the same time, without having to resort to NFS.

What you need to do is create a shared folder at the root of your NAS and call it something like "Media". Then move both your movie folders and the yadis folder into this. So your structue will look something like "NasName\Media\Movies" and "NasName\Media\Yadis". Then as far as the Dune is concerned, there is only a single network smb share which is "NasName\Media" but all your movies and yadis reside within it and are accessible at the same time.

Edit. Of course you can also creat other foldrs within "Media" such as "TvShows" so you'd also have "NasName\Media\TV Shows" and it's still only the same smb share.

Good call on the Shared folder off the NAS. I like this way best because if the Dune is off I lose the HDD. This way I can update the yaDIS at the NAS level.

The only problem I am having is that the yaDIS icon is located in the yaDIS folder on the Dune but if I bring it to the main screen it is only showing as a Star. What am I doing wrong?