PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X FAQ for Tvix M-5000U

TheAxledentalDJ
17-10-06, 21:05
Mac OS X FAQ for Tvix M-5000U

Mac OS X 10.4.10 FAQ:

How do I setup for an NFS share with the Tvix?

You'll need NFS manager. NFS Manager makes the shared folder you have chosen to export and mounts it into Netinfo manager with a Network IP address.

NFS Manager can be downloaded at: http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

NFS manager with a Tvix (firmware 2.2.0)

1. Create a new folder on your external hard drive full of raw
DVDs like: /Volumes/DVDs/Video
3. Download NFS Manager, its ok to run it in Demo mode/shareware.
4. Click on NFS Shares Tab in NFS Manager.
5. Click on Add Entry (unlock Local Directory permissions by the administration)
Set to AT: Local. Viewing directory:/Netinfo/DefaultLocalNode. Authenticated as :you user name"
6. for the Ad entry, point to the external DVDs HDD for Videos (or to the folder you have your DVD rips in).
7.Set its Options:
treat "root" account as user root and click ok and activate changes, even though its in demo mode.
8. Restart your Mac.
9. Setup your Tvix menu for NFS share and match the IP address that the software NFS Manager indicates at the bottom right of the screen of the software. EXAMPLE: 192.168.15.101
/Volumes/DVDs/Video
10. Save your settings in your Tvix and go back to the Movie icon and press the Jump button and connect to network disc
and it should connect in about 20 seconds. It should flash up with your Network shared folders of Videos from that external HDD called /Volumes/DVDs/Video.
Now enjoy perfect Raw DVD (VIDEO_TS folders) playback with menues, FF, rew, and all. No delays or latency issues.

On my Macbook Pro under Mac OS X 10.4.10, the external 750Gb HDD I used, its network settings do disapear, so make sure you write down the information, but it must be a glitch in NFS Manager, because after I shut down my external HDD and Macbook Pro and turn it all back on, I could still not see the external HDDs IP, but the Tvix connected to it and still stream raw DVDS!

Lastly, I'm not responsible for messing up your permissions on your Mac, backup your personal data, incase something goes wrong, I've only documented how I did it.

Hi-Jack
17-10-06, 21:33
Great info.
We made it sticky :-)

TheAxledentalDJ
18-10-06, 19:04
I think you really don't need Sharepoints as it won't work without using NFS manager to export and mount the NFS shared folder on the Mac. You do need to re-boot both the Tvix and your Mac in order to get the Tvix to find the shared disc and folder using NFS share option on the Tvix.
Using Samba causes slow stutrering problems streaming a Raw DVD to it.

This should go in a Tvix Mac FAQ, as Eric from Divco has started to update thiers with mine as they don't have any Macs.

How do I get my WD MyBook 1TB external USB drive to NFS share to my Tvix?

You can't, you have to use SMB and thats too slow, and the WD Mybook is Raid so it will not be able to Boot Mac OS X on it.

What large External HDDs work with the Tvix's USB connection?

The Seagate External 750GB USB HDD(Pre-formated to FAT32 698.6GB) is recognized by the Tvixs USB port.

The Tvix will NOT recognize a WD Mybook 1TB (RAID 0 FAT32)! Probably because its not a generic USB drive, its raided.

TheAxledentalDJ
20-10-06, 08:44
What Mac DVD ripping applications should I use to put Raw DVDs on my Tvix?

You can use Mac the Ripper 2.6.6 and Fast DVD Copy 4.4

How do I test the DVD rips to make sure they will work on my Tvix?
Use myDVDEdit to correct ifos and vob problems and then test on Apples DVD player.

vanderhaas
28-07-07, 13:04
can anybody say if it"s possibel to put films on the tvix(via lan)
and sreaming from a mac?
i use 2 mac's and tiger/tvix(4000pa)
and firmware 2.2.0.
thx

TheAxledentalDJ
28-07-07, 17:03
You can stream raw DVD files, xvid, divx, avi files from your mac to the Tvix. But FTPing these files to your Tvix may have problems coming from a Mac OS X 10.4.x.

tismey
02-08-07, 12:07
You can stream raw DVD files, xvid, divx, avi files from your mac to the Tvix. But FTPing these files to your Tvix may have problems coming from a Mac OS X 10.4.x.

I have found that:
FTP from the terminal works fine
Transmit struggles if you have spaces in your folder names on the TViX, but works fine otherwise
MacFusion doesn't work. I've raised this as an issue with the Google Code people and they're working on a fix.

tismey
07-08-07, 11:55
How do I get my WD MyBook 1TB external USB drive to NFS share to my Tvix?

You can't, you have to use SMB and thats too slow, and the WD Mybook is Raid so it will not be able to Boot Mac OS X on it.

I've been happily sharing a 1TB MyBook over NFS for a little while now. You just have to set your server name as /Volumes/volume_name and it works fine. I was streaming DVD images to my TViX wirelessly within a few minutes.

TheAxledentalDJ
10-08-07, 17:10
Thanks for that great tip. I no longer use a mac mini, and boot from external HDD. Sadly I sold my 1TB HDD. So I now use my Macbook pro and those new /Voumes/ settings works from my extneral firewire 750GB Seagate HDD! Ill have to update the FAQ later.

vanderhaas
17-08-07, 19:04
tismey,what do you mean by ftp from the terminal works fine?
is it possibel to drag and drop on the tvix,and mount the tvix hd on the desktop
without an ftp prog!!
thx

because i have an ftp problem, i loose my ifo files when i try to open them on the tvix!! :?

and mac fusion any news from them?

TheAxledentalDJ
18-08-07, 07:29
When I first got my Tvix M5000 I had many FTP problems trying to transfer raw DVD IFOs from my Mac mini with the Transmit app to the Tvix, Files would show up as 0.0kb and sometimes they would fully show the full file size, but as soon as the FTP transfer was done and I rebooted my Tvix, the file size went back to 0.0kb or the file was gone. I've discussed this with Divco and Eric, and they could not touble shoot this FTP issue for mac users as Divco doesnt have any Macs or know much about the Mac OS X. I've tried alot of free and non-free FTP apps on the mac and they all had the same issues, so I gave up on FTPing new Raw DVDs, xvids, avis, or anything to my Tvix except for firmware udates. I never knew why FTPing over a new Tvix M5000 firmware update stayed on my Tvixs internal HDD. But, since my Tvixs internal HDD is pratically full, I dont have to worry about it. If I want to put a DVD on it, I just plug the Tvix to my Macbook pro to the USB port and 4 minutes later the TVIX HDD shows up on my Mac OS X desktop.

vanderhaas
18-08-07, 12:01
OK,thanks i will stop now because its a tvix problem,and i hope it will be resolved.
because its not good this way!
thank you verry much for your reactions!!

i think we osx users aim on macfusion working soon! :)

tismey
23-08-07, 11:37
tismey,what do you mean by ftp from the terminal works fine?
is it possibel to drag and drop on the tvix,and mount the tvix hd on the desktop
without an ftp prog!!
thx

because i have an ftp problem, i loose my ifo files when i try to open them on the tvix!! :?

and mac fusion any news from them?
No joy on MacFusion yet - it's something to do with the 'non-standard' way that the TViX returns directory listings, which is why Transmit struggles too.

FTP from Terminal works fine, however. You can't drag-and-drop, so it's not very 'mac-like', but it is workable.

Open Terminal.
type ftp
you'll get a prompt like ftp>
type open xx.xx.xx.xx (where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of your TViX)
it will prompt you for your username - this is tvixftp
it will prompt you for your password - get this from your network setup screen

from here, you can navigate around the TViX - commands are

cd - change folder
ls - lists folder contents
put - puts a file from your Mac onto the TViX
get - gets a file from the TViX to your Mac
mput - puts several files (ie mput *.avi will put all .avi files in that folder)
mkdir - creates a folder
delete - deletes a file
lcd - changes your local folder (ie the one on your mac your are FTPing from)

I use this regularly to put files onto my TViX from my Mac - I can't use the USB option because I've formatted it as NTFS for use with the TV Tuner and Macs can only Read NTFS (I've tried the MacFuse drivers, but they're REALLY REALLY SLOW)

strunt
19-10-07, 18:29
paragon have a NTFS driver in beta for macusers - type 'paragon beta mac ntfs' into google - I use it and it works fine - thought I tend to uninstall it not doing any copying from the mac for a while. (I can't give a direct link 'cos I'm new here and can't post URLs yet).

I had a question for mac users - what converters and formats do you use? I started using VisualHub to convert MKV files and anything else - but the H.264 format doesn't seem to be accepted by the 4100SH. Not sure if it's putting in an AppleTV header. They have a new hires format on their website (extra files to add to VisualHub), so I'm going to try that tonight.

Does anyone have a failsafe conversion programme (I actually have Compressor 3 but it seems overkill for this, though it does use all the processors).

cheers
strunt

TheAxledentalDJ
21-10-07, 19:37
Try this url: http://download.paragon-software.com/macosx/beta/NTFSforMacOSXBeta3.dmg

or this one: http://ntfs-mac.com/

Taxidermista
22-10-07, 23:32
I've been happily sharing a 1TB MyBook over NFS for a little while now. You just have to set your server name as /Volumes/volume_name and it works fine. I was streaming DVD images to my TViX wirelessly within a few minutes.
When you say "streaming" do you mean copying those files to the TViX hd?

tismey
02-11-07, 00:46
When you say "streaming" do you mean copying those files to the TViX hd?

No, I mean playing the files stored on my PC through the TVix via a wireless connection.

BudaGallego
20-08-09, 09:37
Hi,

does this also work on the TVIX 5100 model, Im asking because I have mac
and would like to start doing some wireless sharing

Thanks