Old 20-04-12, 16:53   #1
sukumar123
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium

Contribution: 0.01%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 8gb/16gb used for system storage

I read that 2gb is maximum needed for system storage. What do you use other partition? Is it used for movie index database like zappiti etc? Are they any uses of second partition?

Is there anybody who felt 8 gb not enough? I am helping my friend to setup his Dune player and want to make sure the usb memory size needed.

He also ordered NAS. What are pros and cons to store movie index database in NAS vs Dune USB partition vs placing in both.

Appreciate your help.
sukumar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 20-04-12, 17:38   #2
Gennoise
.NET Ninja

Contribution: 0.38%
Default Re: 8gb/16gb used for system storage

My dune max is using only around 200MB of the system partition so 2GB is definitely big enough. You can't access the system partition yourself so free space is lost space. You should be more concerned about speed than size.

Tell your friend to store the index on a USB partition, but let the NAS serve the actual content. You can browse the index over a network but it is much much slower. There's no point in keeping two identical indexes, it's just extra work to keep them synchronised.

The ideal low-budget setup in my opinion is a fast 4GB USB2 flashdrive, split into two partitions: 2GB formatted as EXT2 for system storage, the remaining space formatted as FAT32 or NTFS to store the index. By formatting as FAT32 or NTFS you can plug the drive directly into a windows pc.
Gennoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 18:03   #3
sukumar123
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.01%

Originally Posted by Gennoise View Post
My dune max is using only around 200MB of the system partition so 2GB is definitely big enough. You can't access the system partition yourself so free space is lost space. You should be more concerned about speed than size.

Tell your friend to store the index on a USB partition, but let the NAS serve the actual content. You can browse the index over a network but it is much much slower. There's no point in keeping two identical indexes, it's just extra work to keep them synchronised.

The ideal low-budget setup in my opinion is a fast 4GB USB2 flashdrive, split into two partitions: 2GB formatted as EXT2 for system storage, the remaining space formatted as FAT32 or NTFS to store the index. By formatting as FAT32 or NTFS you can plug the drive directly into a windows pc.
Thanks for the reply. That sounds good idea. If it is formatted as you recommended, can I directly put USB drive into laptop and export zapiti into non system storage partition ?

I pointed my friend to format using dune_service_af_make_sstorage_and_ext3_on_pen.dsf utility. How can I format 2gb into system storage and remaining 6gb as NTFS?

Appreciate your help.
sukumar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 20:45   #4
Gennoise
.NET Ninja

Contribution: 0.38%

It would be easier if you had access to a linux computer. GParted is my weapon of choice whenever I need to edit partitions, but it doesn't run on windows.
They do offer a live cd which lets you boot into linux without messing with your existing installation.
Gennoise is offline   Reply With Quote