Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > Archive > MPC Archive > Archive Ziova and Zensonic » Is ziova a good buy?

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,113
Threads: 29,720
Welcome to our newest member, wgh842
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 23-01-08, 18:01   #11
optik
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium

Contribution: 0.01%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Originally Posted by Hi-Jack
optik, hope you won't start making reviews

How well does your KiSS "stream" ISO DVD from network or play them from internal drive? How well does your Trans-Gear "stream" ISO DVD from network? Does KiSS or trans-gear have SMB support so you are not limited to rubbish UPnP media browsers for streaming content? Want to compare how many DVD drives and PSU fails in kiSS vs Ziova? Want to compare the hardware between all players? How's the Web Radio on Trans-gear?

Answer those questions and you'll know why we said Ziova is the best DVD
player out there in the EM8620 range... The only serious flaws is that Ziova
makes no progress on FW anymore after the last final release, does not
deliver upon NTFS over USB on these units and failed on some other
expected stuff...

It still is the most featured EM8620 player out there...
You are comparing only the features you need, try comparing the global unit and you will end up with saying the added functionality of SMB is worth more than wireless WPA (use hard cable or power plug and use router for security / protection).

Anyway...
Too bad it doesn't work out for your needs... Does not mean it is worse
than another just because it does not have "some" options as it has many
the other two don't have...

That said, the DVD lockup issues happens not that often.
It was not a review.

I raised points in Ziova against DVD players i use and to a specific isues that i am faicing in what i use thid DVD for.
Tranggear radio is good enough for me, and it has Google video too
How is you google video on Ziova?

Streaming of ISO DVD i personaly do not use... But at least my Kiss conects to my network, how can i stream something to my Ziova if it would not connect to the wireless network!

I thought this is a advice topik where you exchange different experiances of Ziova DVD players. And there it is my own opinion.
I do respect your review by all meanes!!!!!!!!!

Please do not take me wrong, and do'nt take it so hard on me.

I use the DVD player to watch my video from the USB hard drives and watch DVD films. I like playing around with firmwares (i own a lot of man-toys)

My points though might be to someones use...
Ziova is not that good after all, it has good points( you have mensioned), but also fails where cheaper DVD's are doing their duty.
Ziova does what i want it to do, and it has a potential to do more, but on the other heand, i have cheaper alternative that does what i need...

I just want to share my experiance.

Kind regards,

Optik
<div align="left"><a href="http://rapidshare.com/users/UXLV83">...ers/UXLV83</a> FW collection for Transgear DVX-700.<br />I own:Transgear DVX-700,Kiss 1600, ZIOVA 505,Dreambox 7020,&nbsp;Peekton 6006, PS 3.</div>
optik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-08, 17:35   #12
leftygt
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.02%

Optik, need your advice seeing as you own both units I'm interested in. I need a player that will play avi files over the network. It will probably be hard-wired to the router as I've had bad experiences with wireless streaming on my pinnacle showcenter. I'm looking at the transgear or the ziova. I'd also like internet radio. Will either work with the swisscenter media server? What are your opinions of both units?
leftygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08, 21:54   #13
BuGGeR

Contribution: 0.14%

Originally Posted by leftygt
Optik, need your advice seeing as you own both units I'm interested in. I need a player that will play avi files over the network. It will probably be hard-wired to the router as I've had bad experiences with wireless streaming on my pinnacle showcenter. I'm looking at the transgear or the ziova. I'd also like internet radio. Will either work with the swisscenter media server? What are your opinions of both units?
Hello leftygt,

I also own both players, so I can give you my opinion.
They are both good players but with the request you have,I would go for the Ziova (It has easy network connectivity/browsing, good internet radio implementation which you can start without turning your tv on, so using the big lcd display)
The transgear has been my favorite player for a long time but is has some downpoints (no smb-browsing over network and only dvd-raw playback on the internal HDD)
Ziova also has some negative points: (occasional freezing and hdmi loss with DVDraw playback my Panasonic plasma TV)

hope this helps,

Grtz

BuGGeR

ps. favorite player at the moment: NMT
BuGGeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08, 23:12   #14
leftygt
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.02%

Thanks buGGer, That helps a lot.
leftygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-08, 22:38   #15
codrinb
Premium Potential

Default I don't think so

Check my post for the issue I currently have with it.

http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=18967

I personally think it was a big mistake to buy it.

Besides the product quality, there are strange things going on with this very obscure company. It looks like the USA offices/support of Ziova has disappeared, while the reseller company I bought the unit from, Directron.com has discontinued it and won't replaced with anything or will not give me my money back.

The posting to the Ziova forum is now locked. There having been any firmware updates in a long time. Looks like an abandonware product

I bought the product based on the great review by Hi-Jack on this site, but now I have serious doubts about both the product and the reviews.

Any insight on what the hell is going on with this company?
codrinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-08, 05:07   #16
codrinb
Premium Potential

Default Got it to work, but still..

=== This is in reply to thread I posted above, currently locked ===

I got the Ziova CS505 to work with Linksys WRT160N before I read the answer on that thread. Indeed, the B/G/N Mixing made it fail.

I have to put the router on G-only which means I can't use N-level speed. That doesn't make any sense.

And the fact that the player won't boot at just because the router has B/G/N mixing enabled is a horrible implementation. No warnings, no errors, just won't boot until recovered with USB. It is very misleading. I am sure people send their boxes back in similar situations without knowing is the router connection.

The other points are well taken Hi-Jack. I understand you didn't have enough information at the time but I would put on the "Cons" section things like "obscure company", "no support in US, Europe, etc"

Thanks
-Codrin
P.S. I don't see the point of locking the other thread of discussion. Opinions should be free on these forums, whether you agree with them or not. Plus the technical info can help others in the same situation
codrinb is offline   Reply With Quote