Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > PVR and DVR > PVR and DVR General > Ellion HMR-700A » Brick - help needed

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,021
Threads: 29,701
Welcome to our newest member, sandman59
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 31-01-09, 22:25   #1
leanovi
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active

Contribution: 0%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brick - help needed

Hi, folks,
as you are my last hope before service, please see if any of you can help - here's what happened and I recently sent to Ellion support:
"Dear support team,
- I was doing the upgrade exactly as described
- I powered off the device during the upgrade, as I had nothing on the screen (because I was connected on HDMI)
- after manual restart my device stops on the first display screen (light blue background HD Media screen ...), recording red led on
- I cannot put the device in the firmware reflash mode again, since it blocks on the first step and doesn't enter the reflash mode by pressing the buttons (is there another way to start the reflashing process, a reset or service mode?)
Hope you can help more, as I bought the device from a german ebay dealer, I live in Hungary and I don't know any service shop near (maybe you can advise where),
Thanks a lot"
please help if you can, many thanks.
leanovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 01-02-09, 19:55   #2
svcglobal
Premium Potential
Addicted to MPC

Contribution: 0.03%
Default Re: Brick - help needed

Originally Posted by leanovi
Hi, folks,
as you are my last hope before service, please see if any of you can help - here's what happened and I recently sent to Ellion support:
"Dear support team,
- I was doing the upgrade exactly as described
- I powered off the device during the upgrade, as I had nothing on the screen (because I was connected on HDMI)
- after manual restart my device stops on the first display screen (light blue background HD Media screen ...), recording red led on
- I cannot put the device in the firmware reflash mode again, since it blocks on the first step and doesn't enter the reflash mode by pressing the buttons (is there another way to start the reflashing process, a reset or service mode?)
Hope you can help more, as I bought the device from a german ebay dealer, I live in Hungary and I don't know any service shop near (maybe you can advise where),
Thanks a lot"
please help if you can, many thanks.
There is nothing that you can do now besides the replacement of the Non-Volatile-RAM by yourself or pack the device back to your seller asking for help.
Switch the gadget off during a upgrade in course it's a very common fault that destroys the RAM.
Should be strongly advised in the firmware upgrade guide to always use the composite video output upgrading firmware or, in a blind mode (using any other video output), to wait until the device reboots itself in a matter of 5 minutes or even more.

Strangely, in the POP up screen that appears accessing Ellion's site on item 1 there is a message that tells you that "F/W upgrade failure do not damage the unit." Maybe in another part of the universe that could be true, but in the Earth we know that's is a lie...

But on the Ellion's firmware download there is an ambiguous message alerting you about a damage if the device is switched off, a Korean way of non-sense.
svcglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 15:25   #3
leanovi
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Okay,
I take the blame for whatever I did not paying attention ... this operation shouldn't be a problem since I work in a EMS factory, just:
- can you help me identifying the coponent that needs replacement (picture, description, MP/N)
- is it an empty RAM or do I have to put some content into it (preflash)?
- is there any way I can get the good content (a .bin file or so) if I need it before I mount the good part or will it load during the upgrade?
- will this be enough to be able to put the unit back into the flash upgrade mode?
Thanks a lot for your help, any other oppinion?
leanovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 18:31   #4
svcglobal
Premium Potential
Addicted to MPC

Contribution: 0.03%

Sorry but I did not have any hardware information about this soap box.
Usually there is a boot strap in the same area of the OS EEPROM that assumes control of the device an start to load possible new firmware from USB port with determined filename.
Find another pal with the same Ellion's device that agree to have its EEPROM removed from PCB and copied on EEPROM programmer is other solution.
But you could imagine the risk involved with that unsolder/solder on the good PCB - instead of one, two bricks...

Anyway, why you do not remove the HD (less weight) and send it back to Korea (asking first for a RMA by email)? Could be possible that the return back freight could be paid by Ellion, just a supposition.
svcglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 20:05   #5
ldb
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Hi,

Not sure if this is very helpful but I did something similar whilst flashing the firmware.

I'm guessing you've worked out it needs to be connected via scart for flashing (if you want visual confirmation) but when I flash the device, I don't need to get past any initial boot screens - it goes straight in. I have the files stored on a USB stick (plugged into the "Power/SW" slot) and I switch the unit on at the back with the 'Guide' button simultaneously depressed; after a few seconds 'Install' appears on the device's screen. It then takes a little while to show an 'updating' animation on the TV set which in turn stays on for a good 10+ mins (to copy 10Mb... go figure). Once complete, it resets automatically - as mentioned, I've done this after powering-off mid-flash and managed to restore it to its previous 'glory'.

Hope this helps slightly.
Louis
ldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 17:28   #6
leanovi
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Default Re: Brick - help needed