Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > Media Player Section > Art Work (ALL) > HDI Artwork » Request: Help with meta-data implementation

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,134
Threads: 29,722
Welcome to our newest member, befuddled
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 01-03-09, 23:23   #1
Binnerup

Experienced Member

Contribution: 0.05%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Request: Help with meta-data implementation

Hya,

My name is Brian Binnerup, I develop a program called "My Movies" (http://www.mymovies.dk), which is a movie collection program.

Behind the program is our service with high quality meta-data for more than 300.000 DVD's, Blu-ray's and HD DVD's.

In the latest pre release of the program, it stores meta-data for TViX units, Netgear EVA8000 units and Popcorn Hour YAMJ add-on as well as the XBMC software.

We would like to extend this meta-data storage to as many units as possible, to allow users to use our high-quality meta-data, and Collection Management program for all their media players.

As it is nearly impossible within the economy available to purchase every single media player, I would like some help from a user of the HDI players, who has some experience with the aai image approch on the unit.

What I hope to accomplish would be to automatically store the files needed for the unit to display meta-data such as cover art, synopsis, actors, directors, ratings, ect.

Is anyone interested in helping out with this? Your part in it will be to describe the aai functionality to me, take photos of how it appears on screen, and test some files to see how it works.

My Movies contains technology to monitor video folders, and automatically add meta-data to the folders, uniquely by disc id's identifying VIDEO_TS folders, DVD ISO files and Blu-ray ISO files. Other video types is identified by folder names.

Regards,

Brian Binnerup
My Movies
Binnerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 02-03-09, 01:35   #2
mule

Contribution: 0.16%

Hi Brian,

nice to have you on board! I have been using your mce plugin since the beginning, but dropped it after you implemented the sql database in order to store the meta data. Since then it wasn't that simple to use in my nas environment than before... But anyway: Great tool!

In order to clear things up and to give you a short overview what is possible with the dune players:
1.) AAI is just an alternative image file format used by the dune players (probably because of decoding speed and maybe less processing power for the decoding process than when using jpegs)
2.) The dune players are able to display directories as an icon. The way these icons are displayed (size, position, how many icons on one screen) is being configured within configuration files named "dune_folder.txt"). The following link gives you some more detailed information: http://hdi.co.il/firmware/misc/dune_folder_howto.txt

So, if for expample you would like to display meta data for a movie, you have to render this information into a "graphical" AAI-file and save this file, besides the needed config file "dune_folder.txt" into the movie directory.
There is yet no possibility to read metadata from a server based database or anything else. It's all based on the filesystem only!

I hope this gives you a first overview of what is possible. It would be great if your software could be used in order to create the needed AAI and config files based on your meta collection.

Once again: Great to have you on board!

TheMule!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 02:13   #3
lundman

Experienced Member

I added "bare minimum" support of mymovies.xml to llink. Had to extend it a tiny bit as there was (back then anyway) no way to store imdb url and what not.
lundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 03:02   #4
miken

Addicted to MPC

Contribution: 0.03%
Default Re: Request: Help with meta-data implementation in My Movies

Originally Posted by Binnerup
Hya,
My name is Brian Binnerup, I develop a program called "My Movies" (http://www.mymovies.dk), which is a movie collection program.
Hi Brian, are you planning to add a Linux version of your program?
miken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 08:43   #5
sodium

Expert Member

Contribution: 0.44%

If you look at his page it's only windoze yada yada... so do not get your hopes up
sodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 09:38   #6
Binnerup

Experienced Member

Originally Posted by mule
I have been using your mce plugin since the beginning, but dropped it after you implemented the sql database in order to store the meta data.
This was unfortunately a needed step to support Vista X64, as no file based database with the needed features came with a native X64 driver (not even SQL Embedded).

1.) AAI is just an alternative image file format used by the dune players
That far I have got - I have also found that if no specificiations is available on these, the AAImageGen.exe can be used from command line to create these.

2.) The dune players are able to display directories as an icon. The way these icons are displayed (size, position, how many icons on one screen) is being configured within configuration files named "dune_folder.txt"). The following link gives you some more detailed information: http://hdi.co.il/firmware/misc/dune_folder_howto.txt
Ok - that I also think I have covered.

So, if for expample you would like to display meta data for a movie, you have to render this information into a "graphical" AAI-file and save this file, besides the needed config file "dune_folder.txt" into the movie directory.
There is yet no possibility to read metadata from a server based database or anything else. It's all based on the filesystem only!
That was also about as far as I got - creating the image is not a problem, this is similar to what we do on the TViX, where a TViX.jpg with the meta-data is simply created.

But, what I lack is to know if it displays a list of "folders", and when you click a folder, it starts the playback, or if you can get it to forward to a new image with the meta-data, and start the playback from there?

As I see it, the best way would be if we store the "folder.jpg" perhaps in a merged image with a folder that matches the UI on the device to this AAI, and then when you click on that, we have another AAI file generated which contains synopsis, cast, ratings, ect. ect.

Is this something that can be done?

If anyone is interested in taking a chat on Windows Messenger regarding it, that would help me a lot - my account is brian@binnerup.dk.

Regards,

Brian
Old 02-03-09, 09:40   #7
Binnerup

Experienced Member

Default Re: Request: Help with meta-data implementation in My Movies

Originally Posted by miken
Hi Brian, are you planning to add a Linux version of your program?
No - our back-end is tied so much with Microsoft .NET that it would be a from the top development, and this simply does not make sense.

What we are currently doing is letting users use the back-end Collection Management to store meta-data for other environments, and those environment could be network players, Linux Media Center front-ends, ect. I think that XBMC which reads our generated meta-data runs on Linux.

However managing the meta-data is going to continue to be a Windows thing.
Old 02-03-09, 09:43   #8
Binnerup

Experienced Member

Originally Posted by lundman
I added "bare minimum" support of mymovies.xml to llink. Had to extend it a tiny bit as there was (back then anyway) no way to store imdb url and what not.
I am still not totally sure what llink does, but I have seen others mention that it reads our XML files.

The latest versions of the programs has an IMDB id (not full url, but that you can easily create then) stored in the XML file.

You are very welcome to contact me on brian@binnerup.dk if you need any details to improve the support. We are looking to creating some documentation pages for the users of different environments, so that they can see how to use the My Movies back-end with the environment(s) they use.
Old 02-03-09, 09:55   #9
Binnerup

Experienced Member

Since then it wasn't that simple to use in my nas environment than before... But anyway: Great tool!
I know there are many of you out there who does not like Windows based storage devices, but we have actually created a "My Movies for Windows Home Server", and try to get users to use a home server because of the options on that platform.

With the home server software, you plug in an USB DVD or Blu-ray drive, and you get full automated disc copying of DVD, Blu-ray or audio discs, including meta-data - this basically means that you stuff in your DVD, it is then uniquely identified, and copied to the storage - the DVD can be stored as VIDEO_TS or ISO, Blu-ray's can be stored as BDMV or ISO. In the process, it adds meta-data to My Movies, and stores meta-data for all the specified units (which is where we hope to add the BD Prime), meaning that there is absolutely no manual things to do besides inserting the disc and waiting for it to eject.

The same thing goes for audio CD's that can be copied to WAV, MP3, WMA or Flac, or a combination of two if you would like a primary format, and a mobile device format. Again, full automated with meta-data added and stored in the files in the process.

Then the movie monitoring feature is running as a service on the WHS also, which can identify and add meta-data for existing movies copied to the storage.

This is features that we can't create on a NAS device, and it means that the SQL Server runs on the Windows Home Server, and not on the clients that you can connect to the home server directly without any configuration, and then use the client to edit the meta-data if you would like to do that.

As a software, this is not that interesting to users who like to do everything themselves, but for the novice users who just would like to stick in a disc into a drive, and have everything done automatically, it is a great option. It means that you would not need to add or create any meta-data files manually, as everything is done for you.

Regards,

Brian
Old 02-03-09, 12:02   #10
mule

Contribution: 0.16%

I appreciate your efforts and for sure the tagretgroup you're aiming at is/will be pleased with your homeserver solution.
Personally i'm not convinced of the limitations of the home server itself and i would bet that microsoft will limit the possibilities you achieved with your "ripping plugin" in future version of the home server... But till then it's a very user friendly solution!

But this is a liitle offtopic now, so let's continue to talk about how one can combine your metadata solution with the dune players...

TheMule!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote