Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > PVR and DVR > PVR and DVR General > Ellion HMR-700A » ellion 700a problem??? when re-formating HDD

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,232
Threads: 29,729
Welcome to our newest member, wartburg
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 24-10-09, 14:57   #1
beefcheeks
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active

Contribution: 0%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ellion 700a problem??? when re-formating HDD

I re-format my new 1tb samsung sata HDD with my ellion 700A and everything goes fine. then i drag and drop files onto the hard drive through the usb it which works fine. but then the player gets stuck and will not turn on it just stay on with a purple light. if i power it down and turn it back on the light stays purple and the rec button stay red. if i re format the drive it works as normal but as soon as i add files to the HDD it stops working.

if anyone could help me asap would really appreciate

Regards

Ben
beefcheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 24-10-09, 17:47   #2
Hi-Jack

Think Tank

Contribution: 9.23%
Thanked 3,461 Times in 602 Posts
Default Re: ellion 700a problem??? when re-formating HDD

Try reformat it and only transfer one file... and not a batch... Could be the player fails loading the HDD because of some file being corrupt or the hard drive sectors... would be strange though...

In addition, with a clean HDD, try recording a few minutes and see if you get the same behavior...
MyMovies for NMJ: Starts here!
Slysoft: 1 Click Backup for BD and DVD
MPC's Recommended Stores
Hi-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hi-Jack For This Useful Post:
beefcheeks (24-10-09)
Old 24-10-09, 20:26   #3
beefcheeks
Premium Potential
Almost Active

i have just tried that mate but with no luck i have tried a 1tb and a 500gb sata drive but they both have same problem the drive will load up fine with no content on the drive but as soon as i add any files onto the sata drive the players just show a purple light and the rec light stays on

i have tried other firmwares as well and it only has this problem with the new gui. if i put the original gui back on it works fine. but obviously i would like to have latest firmware as the layout is a massive improvement and it seems loads better than the older one.

any ideas would be appreciated
beefcheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-09, 20:42   #4
thermokoppel
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Hoi,
I have the same problems, even made a call to South Korea - Digital Ellion.
He told me to set the original firmware. When I connect the drive with Usb, I have no problems. But then you lose alot of functions from the gui. I mostly use as a recorder.
I have placed a sata to usb cable from the intern drive, the usb goes to the extern usb port. So I don't have the use an external usb-case.
thermokoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-09, 01:24   #5
daLooney
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.01%

Hi,

I have got the same problem, but only since I installed a new OS on my laptop. Moved from Windows XP to Windows 7 64bits. The Ellion always has got a FAT32 and an NTFS partition.

After several tests I'm sure that it relates to the OS. Using a laptop with XP copying files via USB goes fine. After copying 1 file using a laptop with Windows 7 the unit is not usable anymore. Reformatting will be necessary.

I think that it relates to the 64bits OS. This probably does something with the FAT32 partition which it may not natively support. (This is a guess as I couldn't find related information on the Internet).
Ellion Support replied on an email I sent with the text that the Ellion doesn't support Windows 7, that they are working on it, that it is very difficult and when possible a new firmware will be made available.

Until then I have to use my companies laptop to move files via USB.
Another challenge is that I can't see the sticker with the NDAS codes anymore. I think they were on a sticker at the bottom of the unit, but now there is only an empty spot.

To all: A very merry Christmas & good 2010!

daL
daLooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 12:18   #6
daLooney
Premium Potential

In the meantime I know that there are more people having this problem. It seems to be purely Windows 7. (64 or 32 bits have the same problem).
As written in this thread, installing the old firmware does solve the issue, but probably nobody can live with that painfull UI anymore. Another worse thing: the problem occurs as well with using NDAS.

Question: Is there anybody out there running the Ellion 700A or HMR-350 with Samba or FTP in combination with Windows 7?

Cheers, daL
Old 05-02-10, 10:33   #7
daLooney
Premium Potential

As more people have switched to Windows 7 I would have expected more problem reports. It seems that Ellion have solved the issue in their newer models and probably don't pay attention anymore to the elder models: HMR700A and HMR350H.

It seems that the problem is not Windows 7, but ... the antivirus / internet security being used. All credits to the genius http://consumerelectronicshacker.blo...1_archive.html !!
He mentions that Norton Internet Security 2010 has got the problem and version 2009 hasn't. I am using G Data Internet Security 2010 and have got the problem. Just checked my wifes laptop (same Windows version) McAfee Internet Security 2010: NO ISSUE !!!

Norton and G Data seem to mark the NTFS partition which makes it unreadable by the Ellion OS afterwards.

Below a summary. Feel free to extend this list:

Cooperate with Ellion (HMR700A/350H):
Norton Internet Security 2009
McAfee Internet Security 2010

Brick the Ellion:
Norton Internet Security 2010
G Data Internet Security 2010

I don't say that products are good or bad; personally I like G Data very much. It is just the cooperation with the most recent not updated Ellion firmware of March 2009.

Hope this helps people having this terrible issue,
daL
Old 17-04-11, 15:45   #8
Piecesofeight
Premium Potential
Almost Active

I don't think it's Windows 7. I have had the same problem recently using XP with AVG as the AV program. However I found a solution that does not involve reformatting the drive and losing the programmes still stored on the UDF parition (the one you can't read).
I booted up my Debian (linux) hard drive and attached the USB lead from the Hyundai then ran gparted (a partitioning program) and deleted the NTFS partition to see what would happen. When I restarted the Hyundai box the red light went out and I got the menu back along with all my recorded programmes now visible and the ones I had copied across to My Recordings.
So in this case attaching the box to Windows XP corrupted the NTFS partition on the box and the box didn't like it but once it couldn't see it the problem went away. I don't need the NTFS partition, there's nothing on it and the Hyundai box doesn't use it so it's irrelevant for now. HTH somebody.
Piecesofeight is offline   Reply With Quote