Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > Media Player Section > 2008 Generation NMT World > NMT Kaiboer » Steps to install PCH firmware into Kaiboer K100/K200

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,132
Threads: 29,721
Welcome to our newest member, Knipsomane
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 09-02-10, 01:40   #1
spanishman
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active

Contribution: 0%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Wink Steps to install PCH firmware into Kaiboer K100/K200

Hi,

I've been waiting for a long time the new Kaiboer firmware because I need DTS downmix, but it never was released. So I decided to install Popcornhour firm into the Kaiboer.

As other people said, there is the Spanish Forum (http://www.antiscreeners.com/phpBB2/...b9a506927638c4) where you can found how to do it. For non Spanish speakers I’m going to try to translate (sorry for my English) the most important steps. But, be aware:

- Install the firm is a critical process because you can kill the Kaiboer, so go carefully and do it on your own risk (second thread on the above forum is how to revive the Kaiboer).
- I'm sorry but I won't answer any technical question because I didn't write the process, I just followed the steps and it worked.

Prerequisites:

- The latest firm and NMT Apps must be installed on your Kaiboer.
- Your Kaiboer must be connected to your LAN and the Kaiboer ftp server must be running.
- The name of the Kaiboer hard disk must be "HARD_DISK".
- Download the files from rapidshare/megaupload. Links are at the first page of the antiscreeners forum. The instructions are in the file "Instrucciones.pdf". Take a look at this file, please.

Steps:

- With an ftp client, connect to the Kaiboer (ftpuser/1234) and copy the next 6 files (flash,mtd2,startrek6066_erase.cgi,starterk6066_re boot.cgi,startrek606_updater.cgi,startrek6066_upda ter.html) from your PC to the Kaiboer root directory. Some people report problems with Filezilla, so I used CuteFTP Professional.

- From the same ftp client, change the attributes of the 6 files to read-write-execute (777). User, group and all.

- On the Kaiboer, go to Media sources and select the 4th icon (all files). Then select startrek6066_updater.html and press "ENTER". The main screen of the process appears. Below on the page you can see 3 links/steps you must follow.

- Select "1.Borrado de la memoria flash" and press "ENTER". This deletes the flash memory of the Kaiboer. Don't turn off the Kaiboer, you must wait and after 30-40 seconds a error screen with the message "La solicitud no se puede processar" appears. Don't worry, it's ok. Press "RETURN" to come back to the main screen of the process.

- Select "2.Grabacion del nuevo firmware" and press "ENTER". This writes the Kaiboer flash memory with the PCH firm. Don't turn off the Kaiboer, this time it takes 1-2 minutes to appear the error screen again. Don't worry, it's ok. Press "RETURN" to come back to the main screen of the process.

- WAIT WAIT WAIT 3 minutes before select step 3!!!! This guarantees that the flash is written correctly.

- Select "3.Reinicio del NMT". This reboots the Kaiboer and in few seconds you will see the Popcornhour logo in your Kaiboer.

- Finally, you must install the latest PCH firm and NMT Apps on your new "Popcornhour". I did it from Internet, not usb drive.

That's all, enjoy your new machine!!!
I would like to thank Startrek6066 and other antiscreeners users for their hard work.

Last edited by spanishman; 09-02-10 at 02:04.
spanishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spanishman For This Useful Post:
BuGGeR (14-03-10), dontze (17-02-10), filem0n (18-03-10)
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 17-02-10, 09:26   #2
dontze
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.01%
Default Re: Steps to install PCH firmware into Kaiboer K100/K200

Originally Posted by spanishman View Post
Hi,

I've been waiting for a long time the new Kaiboer firmware because I need DTS downmix, but it never was released. So I decided to install Popcornhour firm into the Kaiboer.

As other people said, there is the Spanish Forum (http://www.antiscreeners.com/phpBB2/...b9a506927638c4) where you can found how to do it. For non Spanish speakers Iím going to try to translate (sorry for my English) the most important steps. But, be aware:

- Install the firm is a critical process because you can kill the Kaiboer, so go carefully and do it on your own risk (second thread on the above forum is how to revive the Kaiboer).
- I'm sorry but I won't answer any technical question because I didn't write the process, I just followed the steps and it worked.

Prerequisites:

- The latest firm and NMT Apps must be installed on your Kaiboer.
- Your Kaiboer must be connected to your LAN and the Kaiboer ftp server must be running.
- The name of the Kaiboer hard disk must be "HARD_DISK".
- Download the files from rapidshare/megaupload. Links are at the first page of the antiscreeners forum. The instructions are in the file "Instrucciones.pdf". Take a look at this file, please.

Steps:

- With an ftp client, connect to the Kaiboer (ftpuser/1234) and copy the next 6 files (flash,mtd2,startrek6066_erase.cgi,starterk6066_re boot.cgi,startrek606_updater.cgi,startrek6066_upda ter.html) from your PC to the Kaiboer root directory. Some people report problems with Filezilla, so I used CuteFTP Professional.

- From the same ftp client, change the attributes of the 6 files to read-write-execute (777). User, group and all.

- On the Kaiboer, go to Media sources and select the 4th icon (all files). Then select startrek6066_updater.html and press "ENTER". The main screen of the process appears. Below on the page you can see 3 links/steps you must follow.

- Select "1.Borrado de la memoria flash" and press "ENTER". This deletes the flash memory of the Kaiboer. Don't turn off the Kaiboer, you must wait and after 30-40 seconds a error screen with the message "La solicitud no se puede processar" appears. Don't worry, it's ok. Press "RETURN" to come back to the main screen of the process.

- Select "2.Grabacion del nuevo firmware" and press "ENTER". This writes the Kaiboer flash memory with the PCH firm. Don't turn off the Kaiboer, this time it takes 1-2 minutes to appear the error screen again. Don't worry, it's ok. Press "RETURN" to come back to the main screen of the process.

- WAIT WAIT WAIT 3 minutes before select step 3!!!! This guarantees that the flash is written correctly.

- Select "3.Reinicio del NMT". This reboots the Kaiboer and in few seconds you will see the Popcornhour logo in your Kaiboer.

- Finally, you must install the latest PCH firm and NMT Apps on your new "Popcornhour". I did it from Internet, not usb drive.

That's all, enjoy your new machine!!!
I would like to thank Startrek6066 and other antiscreeners users for their hard work.

Everything works, except if you have set your NMT language to english, then
you won't see error screen with the message "La solicitud no se puede processar" ,
instead the error message will be "Request cannot be processed"

If you happens to break your NMT, you can always restore firmware recovery
Firmware recovery file can be downloaded from Kaiboer website
dontze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dontze For This Useful Post:
filem0n (18-03-10)
Old 26-06-10, 13:25   #3
mAcCo
Premium Potential

I can't really figure out why, but the procedure does not seem to work for me. I followed the steps literally, but when I click on every of the three options in the html page I immediatly receive the error screen message, and nothing ever happens. It seems like the scripts are not being executed...
mAcCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 21:03   #4
mAcCo
Premium Potential

Does anyone have any idea?
mAcCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 10:17   #5
DreamensioN
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Hey guys,
I tried to do this update and I ended up nuking my K100 box.

The instructions work, but the startrek6066_updater.html file is missing a <html> tag at the top of the file (in the first line).

I added this so the html file was formatted correctly.

I also had trouble copying the mtd2 file using FileZilla. For some reason it would only copy 2mb then stop. I got around this and managed to copy up the whole file.

Anyway, on my K100 which was running the latest firmware, and had a HDD attached to it to run the NMT apps, I did this procedure.

I did the clear firmware (which seemed to work) then you get the message..."Request cannot be processed" - press return.

I then did the firmware update to the PCH - which took a while, then said "Request cannot be processed" (just like dontez said). I waited around 5 mins to make sure it was complete.

I then did the reboot - which again said "Request cannot be processed" (and I pressed return - and the K100 rebooted.

Now it's a dead box. I can't even restore the firmware on it using the PCH or the Kaiboer firmware recovery from USB. If I could read spanish, maybe I could see if someone else on the Spanish forums had the same problem.

But for me, this procedure has killed my NMT.
DreamensioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 05:34   #6
DreamensioN
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Ok - I have managed to restore the factory firmware on my K100 using a procedure I found on the spanish forums. (Yay for Google translate!).

I will try this procedure again and let you know how I go, and I will post the _exact_ steps in English.
I think I know where I went wrong with my original attempt at updating to the PCH firmware. After I killed my K100, I did a google translate on the link to the process on the Spanish forums (something I should of done before attempting the process).

Lots of people had the same issue I had (wiping their firmware and killing their box). It turns out you *must* use CuteFTP to transfer the .bin files, and also use BINARY file copy mode. Anything else changes the file (therefore corrupting the firmware).

Now that I know how to restore the K100 even if it's totally dead - I'm going to try this again.

I'll also post exactly what I did to do a factory restore of the firmware by jumping two pins on the circuit board.

Stay tuned....
Old 07-08-10, 17:09   #7
DreamensioN
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Ok, I can now confirm this does work as Spanishman has described it. But for good measure, here is my version of the instructions.

Make sure you have the pre-requisites as per what Spanishman has said. The latest firmware, the latest NMT apps etc. And make sure the FTP Server service has been started.

1. Download the update & patch RAR from either of these links.
Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/23697043...updater_v2.rar
Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FNF5FWHQ

^^these links are a copy/paste from the Spanish forums. Inside the RAR you will find FileZilla. Ignore it and don't use it.

2. Connect to your NMT device using CuteFTP. It *****MUST****** be CuteFTP. I used FileZilla and it caused me no end of grief. I downloaded the Trial version of CuteFTP pro, and used a default install of it. Do not change the file transfer mode to binary. Leave it as auto.

3. Copy the 5 files as per Spanishmans instructions, and set the permissions accordingly. ***DOUBLE CHECK*** the _exact_ byte size of the mdt2 file. It should be 31,457,280 bytes on the NMT, and on your drive. Just make sure both file sizes are identicle. If they are different - something has gone wrong and you should NOT proceed with the upgrade.

4. Go to your Kaiboer, change to the HARD_DISK media source, go to the documents icon, and run the startrek6066_updater.html. If the HTML looks weird, or does not appear correctly on the screen, or has a HREF error or something - DO NOT PROCEED with the ugprade. It means something has gone wrong with the FTP file transfer and you cannot trust your files.

This is what happened to me the first time - I used FileZilla, and the startrek6066_updater.html had a HREF error in the first step. I then manually added the <html> tag to the file thinking that's what it needed cause it was an incorrectly formatted HTML file. It was incorrectly formatted, because FileZilla screwed it up.

So just note - you should not have to change or edit any of these files.

5. I selected "1.Borrado de la memoria flash" - which is to clear the flash. On my box it took around 1-2 minutes to complete. When it was finished I got a "Request Cannot Be Processed" error. I waited another extra minute, then pressed RETURN.
^^NOTE: I also upgraded my K200, and clearing the flash only took around 10 seconds. So how long this step takes may vary.

6. I then selected "2.Grabacion del nuevo firmware" which applies the firmware. Mine took around 3 minutes before it went to a "Request Cannot Be Processed" error. I then waited another minute, then pressed RETURN. I then waited ANOTHER 3 minutes.

7. Then I went to do the reboot. You will instantly get a "Request cannot be processed" error. That's ok, just press return, and then the Kaiboer will reboot.

After I had applied the new firmware, I had to press TV MODE -> 9 on my remote control to change the Kaiboer to 1080p HDMI output. You may need to set the Kaiboer to the correct TV mode after you apply your firmware update. For me, I knew to do this because my TV was not recieving any signal. It doesn't mean the firmware didnt' work...it just means you may need to set your correct TV mode.

Good luck! And thanks to Spanishman for the post. Just be sure to use CuteFTP to do the file transfer and nothing else.

Last edited by DreamensioN; 08-08-10 at 12:36.
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamensioN For This Useful Post:
blackdogone (02-03-11)
Old 04-09-10, 13:01   #8
rbscholtus
Premium Potential
Almost Active

I hope I don't sound stubborn or anything but did you or someone else figure out the issue with FileZilla vs CuteFTP?
For one thing, I use Ubuntu so I don't have CuteFTP, on the other hand, I just can't see why a good FTP client like FileZilla could possibly mess up....

Other than that, thanks big time for posting your experience. I am trying something similar myself now
rbscholtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 08:30   #9
DreamensioN
Premium Potential
Almost Active

I believe it's something to do with ASCII or BINARY mode transfer in the FTP clients. I thought the exact same thing "CuteFTP? Whatever...FTP is FTP - it should work no matter what."

You can try a different FTP client, but just make sure the file sizes (to the exact byte) are identicle. I don't know how skilled you are with Linux, but you should be able to figure out a way to check if the MD5 hash is the same. If it is, then you should be fine.

Part of my problem was even after I managed to force FileZilla to copy the file, I could clearly see the file sizes weren't the same - but I just put that down to it being a different file system to my Windows 7 box.

So I guess a plan for you would be to upload the file, check file sizes, download the file (make sure the hash hasn't changed), then you're pretty well good to go.

After you update with the PCH firmware, it will want to download and update the NMT apps again too.

Good luck! I have a subscription to this thread so if you get stuck, just leave a message or PM me.
Old 13-09-11, 20:20   #10
foo129
Premium Potential
Almost Active

I had same problem, the script instantly just returned the error message without doing anything. I found out that the reason for it is that the files in the rar archive are in DOS format (CRLF line terminators). Obvious kaiboer/pch, as a linux device, does not fancy those

Code:
$ file *.cgi
startrek6066_erase.cgi:   POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable, with CRLF line terminators
startrek6066_reboot.cgi:  POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable, with CRLF line terminators
startrek6066_updater.cgi: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable, with CRLF line terminators
So the goal is to transfer those cgi script files to kaiboer in a such way that they are in UNIX format when they end up there. When you transfer files with FTP, between Windows(DOS) and Unix, and in ASCII mode, the FTP client typically changes the line terminators from the source system format to target system format.
Therefore if you transfer those cgi scripts from Windows, with some fancy Windows FTP client like CuteFTP, it will most likely transfer the files in ASCII mode and convert the line terminators to proper unix format. If you have the source machine a unix (linux) box, you need to convert the line terminators manually.

There is for example tool called dos2unix that converts the line terminators. I used that to convert the cgi scripts (and just in case also the html file).

Code:
$ dos2unix *.cgi *.html
dos2unix: converting file startrek6066_erase.cgi to Unix format ...
dos2unix: converting file startrek6066_reboot.cgi to Unix format ...
dos2unix: converting file startrek6066_updater.cgi to Unix format ...
dos2unix: converting file startrek6066_updater.html to Unix format ...
After that I transferred the cgi and html files again to kaiboer in BINary mode. So that the FTP client does not touch the line terminators. With the cgi (and html) files in UNIX format, the update procedure worked like a charm.
foo129 is offline   Reply With Quote