emul8ter
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active

Contribution: 0%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What USB NAS to go with?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I am looking to get a nas for my network to work with my WD Live.

I have a couple usb 1tb hard drives kicking around so a nas device for external drives seems like it would suit my needs.

There are a lot of options out there:
Pogoplug
Iomega Connect
Belkin Home Base
Belkin Network USB Hub
and more....

Im not worried about accessing my content over the web. I dont currently have any use for that type of feature. It will mainly be just for media storage for my home network.

My biggest concern is Hard Drive spin down. I don't know if any of these devices support that. It seems to be a big issue for a lot of people. Nobody wants their hard drive spinning 24/7.

If any of these devices supported that feature, or if someone could recommend an alternative that does, it would probably be my choice.
emul8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 12-02-11, 18:48   #2
yannis
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.23%
Default Re: What USB NAS to go with?

Originally Posted by emul8ter View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I am looking to get a nas for my network to work with my WD Live.

I have a couple usb 1tb hard drives kicking around so a nas device for external drives seems like it would suit my needs.

There are a lot of options out there:
Pogoplug
Iomega Connect
Belkin Home Base
Belkin Network USB Hub
and more....

Im not worried about accessing my content over the web. I dont currently have any use for that type of feature. It will mainly be just for media storage for my home network.

My biggest concern is Hard Drive spin down. I don't know if any of these devices support that. It seems to be a big issue for a lot of people. Nobody wants their hard drive spinning 24/7.

If any of these devices supported that feature, or if someone could recommend an alternative that does, it would probably be my choice.
Hmmm. Well the thing is that NAS stands for Network Attached Storage device. So by definition, a NAS is a stand alone box which connects to your network, not a computer. I'm not familiar with every device you listed but they seem to be usb hubs, which aren't the same thing at all. HDD spin down is usualy controlled by software and I wouldn't have thought that a usb hub would have any such software

On the subject of HDD spin down, there are two schools of thought. On the one hand is obviously some power saving but that's not as significant as many would think. HDDs, especially the new "green" dives consume very little power once they are spun up, but something like 10 times more power during the spin up time. So, cycling drives over too short a time can actualy use more power han keeping them spun up. The other school of thought is that spinning drives up and down will significantly reduce their life compared to keeping them spun up. So any saving in running costs will be negated by having to replace the drives more frequently. The other down side, is that when you want to access the data on a "spun down" disc, you have to wait around 20 seconds or so for the drives to spin up, which can be anoying.

Personally, I run an UnRaid server and I do spin down my drives after about an hour of inactivity, because the feature is there. However, many users of UnRaid prefer not to do so (they subscribe to the second school of thought).

So, in summary I would say that the ability to spin down drives should be way down on your list of features to look for, and if one of the devices you've listed ticks the rest of the boxes, then go for it.
yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-11, 12:28   #3
emul8ter
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Contribution: 0%
Default Re: What USB NAS to go with?

Just to follow up on my original post....

I use a D-Link 200mbs powerline kit to extend my network.
I have the WD TV Live for my media player which I have networked.

I can stream standard definition videos from my pc to the WD TV over my network just fine.
It runs into problems with hi-def videos. The network is just not fast enough to stream it without some stuttering.

I wanted some type of NAS to connect to my router which the WD TV is also connected to. That way I could transfer content to the NAS at my leisure and it would remove the bottleneck of the powerline network.

So my requirements of a NAS are very basic. It just needed to be fast enough to stream hi-def video to my media player.

I have a couple 1TB external usb drives, so my initial plan was to get one of the networked usb hubs, like a pogoplug.

Anyways after much searching, I went wih the D-Link DNS-320 and I am very happy with it. While it is a very basic 2-bay NAS, it suits my needs perfectly. I installed 2 1TB sata drives in JBOD configuration, plugged it in, and it works perfectly.

It seems more than fast enough to stream 1080p video to my WD TV. The videos I could not stream over my powerline network now play perfectly. It was cheap, and it works great. Cant ask for more I guess.

In case anyone is wondering, over a 100/mb hub my transfer speed to the D-Link DNS-320 will sit at 11/MBS. (i do not have a gigabyte switch)

Over my powerline network, my transfer rate sits at 5.5/MBS.
emul8ter is offline   Reply With Quote