Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,099
Threads: 29,720
Posts: 251,971
Welcome to our newest member, Dark Justice
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-11, 01:39   #1
tiborr
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Contribution: 0%
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Hello,
I am really upset about this. We looked for about 1 year for the best Media player to buy and waited 5 months for the release of the Dune smart D1. We finally were extremely happy to purchase the D1 in Christmas & intsalled an internal 2TB HDD from WD (green caviar). After transfering all our favourite DVDs on the HDD & using the D1 for 4 months, the Dune player suddenly stopped displaying the internal HDD.

I tried to connect the Dune to the PC via the usb, nothing was showing up anymore. (ext2fat manager showed the HDD though but as it was empty & formatted back to NTFS)

I finally red a similar issue from a member of this forum & connected the HDD directly into my PC, the HDD showed up with ALL the data...So nothing wrong with the HDD itself.

I finally tried to plug back into the D1 : nothing again... It seems that some internal problem happend for an unknown reason & that the D1 is a buggy mediaplayer when using internal memory. The internal HDD was the main reason why we purchased the D1 instead of the B1 or lighter version.

Thanks for helping us out with this issue.
tiborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 10-05-11, 02:54   #2
Rudik28
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Expert Member
 
Rudik28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,110
Contribution: 0.84%
Thanks: 97
Thanked 219 Times in 192 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Originally Posted by tiborr View Post
Hello,
I am really upset about this. We looked for about 1 year for the best Media player to buy and waited 5 months for the release of the Dune smart D1. We finally were extremely happy to purchase the D1 in Christmas & intsalled an internal 2TB HDD from WD (green caviar). After transfering all our favourite DVDs on the HDD & using the D1 for 4 months, the Dune player suddenly stopped displaying the internal HDD.

I tried to connect the Dune to the PC via the usb, nothing was showing up anymore. (ext2fat manager showed the HDD though but as it was empty & formatted back to NTFS)

I finally red a similar issue from a member of this forum & connected the HDD directly into my PC, the HDD showed up with ALL the data...So nothing wrong with the HDD itself.

I finally tried to plug back into the D1 : nothing again... It seems that some internal problem happend for an unknown reason & that the D1 is a buggy mediaplayer when using internal memory. The internal HDD was the main reason why we purchased the D1 instead of the B1 or lighter version.

Thanks for helping us out with this issue.
Its not a buggy mediaplayer-its buggy user-its no were say its ok use 2TB HDD.

http://dune-hd.com/firmware/hw_compat/

For player models supporting an internal HDD (such as Dune HD Mini, Dune HD Center, Dune HD Base, Dune HD Base 2.0, Dune HD Base 3.0, Dune HD Max, Dune HD Smart H1, Dune HD Smart D1), please consider the following recommendations:

Use HDD with a suitable heat emission level. The exact suitable HDD models may depend on various factors, such as the ambient temperature and player cooling and airflow conditions. Generally, it is recommended to use HDD models with the smallest possible RPM value (e.g. 5400 RPM), smallest possible number of platters (e.g. 1 or 2 platters), and specially optimized for reduced power consumption and heat production and for use inside A/V equipment (e.g. Western Digital Green Power series).
For example, HDD models such as Western Digital WD5000AACS (500 GB, 5400 RPM, 2 platters) and Seagate ST31000528AS (1000GB, 7200 RPM, 2 platters) are typicaly suitable.
HDD models with high heat production, such as Seagate ST31500341AS (1500 GB, 7200 RPM, 4 platters) are not suitable and must not be used.

Now you option-service.
Rudik28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 03:52   #3
tiborr
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Contribution: 0%
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Dont tell it is an user error, users are not informed witch HDD to put inside & Dune just let us guess what to use (not clear at all). I have red all instructions from many forum members before installing any HDD & went with a Green Caviar WD20EARS like many other customers did. Besides, Dune clearly advertises the D1 being able to handle 2TB HDD drives.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/archive...p/t-25964.html

The Harddrive runned well for 4 months, without ANY issue (no overheating or what so) & still runs great on my pc. Very bizarrely, the D1 player suddenly stopped recognising it.

Other customers already reported the same problem with smaller HDD, so I guess Dune should not provide the option to put an internal HDD unless fixing this issue.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/archive...p/t-26219.html
tiborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 04:04   #4
Rudik28
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Expert Member
 
Rudik28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,110
Contribution: 0.84%
Thanks: 97
Thanked 219 Times in 192 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Originally Posted by tiborr View Post
Dont tell it is an user error, users are not informed witch HDD to put inside & Dune just let us guess what to use (not clear at all). I have red all instructions from many forum members before installing any HDD & went with a Green Caviar WD20EARS like many other customers did. Besides, Dune clearly advertises the D1 being able to handle 2TB HDD drives.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/archive...p/t-25964.html

The Harddrive runned well for 4 months, without ANY issue (no overheating or what so) & still runs great on my pc. Very bizarrely, the D1 player suddenly stopped recognising it.

Other customers already reported the same problem with smaller HDD, so I guess Dune should not provide the option to put an internal HDD unless fixing this issue.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/archive...p/t-26219.html
Its not you HDD overheating-its player !

And in second link its same exactly 2TB drive.
Rudik28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 04:23   #5
tiborr
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Contribution: 0%
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Man are you working for Dune or what ? Are you expecting to pay 350$ for a high quality player which is badly designed ? If the Player is overheating it means that the D1 player IS NOT fabricated to support any internal HDD.

There clearly is a glitch as other users reported, more obsolete than any other system I ever bought.

I will bring it back to my store for a refund & maybe will think about the ligher-smaller version without HDD slot...

ps: you seem very contradictory, @ first you say "no were say its ok use 2TB HDD." and in the second link you affirm "Here you can see that the samsung 2tb 5400rpm ecogreen shouldn't be a problem:" Not logic at all.
tiborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 04:34   #6
Rudik28
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Expert Member
 
Rudik28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,110
Contribution: 0.84%
Thanks: 97
Thanked 219 Times in 192 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Originally Posted by tiborr View Post
Man are you working for Dune or what ? Are you expecting to pay 350$ for a high quality player which is badly designed ? If the Player is overheating it means that the D1 player IS NOT fabricated to support any internal HDD.

There clearly is a glitch as other users reported, more obsolete than any other system I ever bought.

I will bring it back to my store for a refund & maybe will think about the ligher-smaller version without HDD slot...

ps: you seem very contradictory, @ first you say "no were say its ok use 2TB HDD." and in the second link you affirm "Here you can see that the samsung 2tb 5400rpm ecogreen shouldn't be a problem:" Not logic at all.
I think you mix up replies and answers:

Dezorian
25-01-11, 01:17
I have to disagree with you on that matter. The main issue is heat emission. That's the primary issue with bigger drivers with more than 2 platters. HDI is only making examples which drives aren't having any problems at the moment. By because hdd manufacturers are releasing new hdd quite frequently you cannot just look at platters and size, but you have to look at the main issue: temperature.

Here you can see that the samsung 2tb 5400rpm ecogreen shouldn't be a problem:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthr...t=25964&page=2

My reply to him:

You like at-i love at -its only my suggestion and not only my-i think better safe than sorry.

And i don't work for HDI-i,m same user like you-Base3.0.
Rudik28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 17:36   #7
servies

TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Active Member
 
servies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 20
Contribution: 0.01%
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Originally Posted by Rudik28 View Post
You like at-i love at -its only my suggestion and not only my-i think better safe than sorry.

And i don't work for HDI-i,m same user like you-Base3.0.
Rudik28, may I suggest to you then not to reply in the way you do in your first reply... You're not doing HDI Dune a great service in the way you reply there. To be honest, you're quite blunt, it looks as if you take any critics personally... Probably this has to do with the language barrier but nevertheless...
I had the same thoughts as tiborr and thought you were working for HDI and providing some help here on the forum.
servies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to servies For This Useful Post:
tiborr (10-05-11)
Old 10-05-11, 18:15   #8
tiborr
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Contribution: 0%
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Thanks Servies, indeed I was just excepting some support, not the usual "user error" reply. I am not english myself but try to write the best I can. We are quite upset because the Dune D1 was a nice player... for only a few months, now it even seems hard to get in contact with Dune. I tried to send them an email 5 days ago but still got no answer.
For the HDD compatibility, NOTHING is stated into the user manual. It is in fact verry blurry & just let you guess to install any 3.5 HDD. I personnally made lots of research before installing the HDD & the WD 20EARS seemed to be the best option, as many users did the same choice. Apparently some users had the same issue even without any overheating, and concluded that the 3.5 HDD powering plug broke down due to a design glitch.
It gives a bitter taste to the consumer who was expecting to pay for a nicely fabricated media player...
tiborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 21:50   #9
ScottJ97
ScottJ on AVS

Senior Member
 
ScottJ97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 660
Contribution: 0.26%
Thanks: 36
Thanked 121 Times in 98 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Originally Posted by tiborr View Post
For the HDD compatibility, NOTHING is stated into the user manual. It is in fact verry blurry & just let you guess to install any 3.5 HDD. I personnally made lots of research before installing the HDD & the WD 20EARS seemed to be the best option, as many users did the same choice. Apparently some users had the same issue even without any overheating, and concluded that the 3.5 HDD powering plug broke down due to a design glitch.
It gives a bitter taste to the consumer who was expecting to pay for a nicely fabricated media player...
There were some Dune Smarts whose SATA connectors would fail prematurely. Your reseller should cover this under warranty. It was probably that, and not the heat, that caused your problems.

Don't let Rudik get under your skin; he tends to be blunt.
ScottJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 22:18   #10
btiltman
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Experienced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 154
Contribution: 0.06%
Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DUNE Smart D1 broken after 4 months...

Originally Posted by tiborr View Post
I finally tried to plug back into the D1 : nothing again... It seems that some internal problem happend for an unknown reason & that the D1 is a buggy mediaplayer when using internal memory. The internal HDD was the main reason why we purchased the D1 instead of the B1 or lighter version.

Thanks for helping us out with this issue.
Technical devices can have issues, these are not necessarily design faults or bugs. Its just a result of mass production and all brands of devices will have a percentage of issues due to this. Just take it and get it fixed, no big deal, thats what warranties are for.

Could be worth trying a firmware update first and reset to factory defaults just in case it is just a firmware glitch.
btiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


» MPC top List...

TOP 5 Regular media players

  • Popcorn Hour C-300 (81%)
  • Mede8er Med500x2 (80%)
  • Dune SMART (D1) (65%)
  • HDI Dune Base 3.0 (52%)
  • DViCo TViX X-Roid (00%)

TOP 5 Hybrid media players

  • HDI Dune BD Prime 3.0 (75%)
  • HDI Dune HD SMART B1 (74%)
  • PoPCorn Hour C-200 (68%)
  • HDI Dune MAX (54%)

We do not recommend currently...

  • Xtreamer products
  • Hantech products
  • MViX products
  • DviCo products
  • HDX products
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1 - twisted by vbTwist and Hi-Jack (MPC Club)