Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > Media Player Section > General discussions » Popcorn hour A-300 vs Dune HD Smart D1

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 87,959
Threads: 29,692
Welcome to our newest member, reyu
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 12-03-12, 17:56   #21
dbone1026
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium

Contribution: 0.19%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Popcorn hour A-300 vs Dune HD Smart D1

Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Good points by both of you.

I'm curious to know if either of you have issues playing BD ISO's with full menu support. I just couldn't get most of them to work. ISO's would slow the a300 down to a crawl and would require a power cycle. I then had to expand them back to BDMV folder format for some of them to play. I'd have to say that the a300 played about 10% of my BD's with full menus. The Dune D1 98% and believe it or not...my Netgear 550 100%! lol

I'm sure that the various methods of ripping, etc can play a hand in the success rate of playing BD 1:1's but the a300 failed miserably. Their website 'hinting' that menus would work ( and not just lite menus ) was salt in my wounds.

The PCH has a definite advantage with the built in jukebox I admit. It's also nice to be able to make thumb & moviesheet mods via the RC with the PCH.

If the A300 had handle more of my BD ISO's, it would have been a home run. I've purchased quite a few boxes as of late and I must say; I will be staying with Dune. I prefer stability and functionality. Plain and simple.
When I tested the A300 with my few full rip Blu-rays I had mixed results. There is also noticeable skipping when playing back a seamless branch disc.

The only reason why I don't consider the NMJ for PCH an advantage is because I think it stinks lol (I use Eversion/YAMJ with the A300)

Damian

blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
contributing editor - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 19:33   #22
dbone1026
Premium Potential

Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
True dbone. I should have said 'integrated' as the advantage. I use Zappiti and although the TV episodes took some learning to setup; It's far better than any other Jukebox I've used.

I haven't tried others that are available for PCH and Dune but I like being able to view the jukebox setup from my computer so I'm not running back and forth to make sure all looks okay.

I'm temped to try the iPhone app for Zappiti. Looks pretty cool.

The RC on the Netgear is very polished and well made. Bad news is that it looks like EOL for it. No new firmware in a long time. The UI is buggy as hell. Also, you can't split TV and Movies. It scans any and all NFS media paths setup in the system and displays them all together. Just a bit more work and it could have been a hit.

I'm using it in the bedroom and may replace it with another Dune in the next few months.

Cheers,
I am the same way. Being able to know exactly what your jukebox looks like on your PC is a huge plus for me using Zappiti with my Dunes vs the PCH jukeboxes (especially since a lot of times I will update my jukebox remotely, no need o worry about getting a call from the wife if something got screwed up).

The Zappiti App is on my list to try and do a writeup for. I still have to get my writeup done first for 10Muse (iPad app for Dune and PCH).

The Dunes are the workhorses in my house (Smart D1 in bedroom and BD Prime in family room). A300 is in the playroom, A200 and Popbox v8 are in the basement (and a mess of Realtek 1185/1186 players lying around lol)

Damian

Old 06-06-12, 00:08   #23
javier08
Premium Potential
Addicted to MPC

Contribution: 0.03%

I had the Dune smart for a year, it was great until it died. I get not audio from HDMI and it's definitely a hardware failure. I can't get any support from Dune or from the my dealer.
I have just ordered the PCH A300 and won't buy any Dune products again =(
javier08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 01:23   #24
dbone1026
Premium Potential

I have a Smart 301 on its way for review

Damian

Old 07-06-12, 18:23   #25
Likvid
Premium Potential
Experienced Member

Contribution: 0.09%

I don't see any reason to buy Dune today, their software is crippled and old, the PCH can do much more and it's more features built-in like apps.

I have both Dune HD Base and PCH and i prefer PCH, i don't understand why some people like Dune, yes the hardware is ok but you also need to deliver good software, this is where Dune fails.

When does Dune actually fix the bugs? they have some serious bugs they haven't fixed for several years and that's a long time
Likvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 18:26   #26
dbone1026
Premium Potential

Originally Posted by Likvid View Post
I don't see any reason to buy Dune today, their software is crippled and old, the PCH can do much more and it's more features built-in like apps.

I have both Dune HD Base and PCH and i prefer PCH, i don't understand why some people like Dune, yes the hardware is ok but you also need to deliver good software, this is where Dune fails.
It all depends on how you use. I have no need for the Apps so that portion is useless with the PCH for me. Also, NMJ is pretty bad in my opinion, so you are left needing to use a 3rd party jukebox, same as with the Dune. My main concern is flawless playback which the Dunes excel at over the PCHs right now.

Damian

Old 09-06-12, 12:57   #27
Thomas D
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.01%

I don't know if the A300 is similar to the C300 with regards to playing Blu-Ray ISO's, but you should know that the C300 have big time trouble about playing Blu-Ray ISO's it looses the sound track or the sound starts to have lots of noise. These problems don't excist on the C200 there excactly the same ISO's work fine. PopcornHour/Syabas has been aware of this problem since february 2012 and despite it's ruining the value of the C300 they haven't fix it yet. If you go to PopcornHour's homesite under Support/Downloads you can read that the latest firmware for C300 is unstable for Blu-Rays changing soundtracks. But this is not the whole truth, while your in the middle of a movie the sound suddenly crashes like in a computergame and you need to restart. So if you are interested in playing Blu-Ray ISO's wait for Syabas to fix the problem before you buy a Popcornhour.
Thomas D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 13:12   #28
Thomas D
Premium Potential

Contribution: 0.01%

I have both a C200 (for 2 years) and a C300 so I have the possibility to compare.
Thomas D is offline   Reply With Quote