Navigation » MPC Club Community Board > Storage Devices > Network Storage Devices > Other Storage Solutions » Freenas low power solution, what do you think?

Notices

» Slysoft Recommended!
1 CLick BD and DVD backups
Download AnyDVD HD!
For Blu-Ray and DVD!
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 88,314
Threads: 29,730
Welcome to our newest member, alin874
» MPC Club Advertisers and Sponsors

Old 06-12-11, 07:50   #1
heda_p
Premium Potential
TIP: Upgrade to Premium
Almost Active

Contribution: 0%
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Freenas low power solution, what do you think?

Why I need this server? My electricity bill shoot pretty high last few months thus looking to build a low power small 6/7 bay nas, I have tried to build WHS11/W2k8R2/W7 for file sharing though it’s been a hassle and slow as well, thus thinking of building freenas for NAS + little bit ISCSI

I already have one gaming rig and one HTPC rig with couple of laptops/mobiles/ipad and popcorn A200 media player,
Also have 2 sans digital external enclosures (5 bay each, non-hardware raid, esata interface), will use these enclosures later for backup purposes with SyncToy and shutdown once synched to save power

Based on numerous posts I read on various forums here's my expected FREENAS 8 build:

$219 - SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-HF-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR2 667
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182234
Intel Atom D510 processor
2 x 200Pin SO-DIMM (Total max 4Gb RAM)
6 x SATA 3.0 GB/s
2 x Intel 82574L
IPMI enabled (KVM over LAN)

Why: MicroATX, Remote control console KVM access from any machine on network, dual NIC and 6 x Sata is what I am inclined to, CPU already included...

$49 - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL4D-4GBSQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231154

Why: this is the limitation of the mobo, but for IPMI combination this is the best available I guess

$169 - Fractal Design Array R2 Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 300W SFX PSU Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352019

Why: smallest size for 7 HD possible in case, has 7 sata connector, 300W power inbuilt, good airflow
(will be running 6 x 2Tb hard disks and one SSD or something with 4GB of USB drive, already have all that stuff)

(will use ZFS but non as raid, but jbod, will backup with external enclosures using SyncToy)

I also plan to buy net gear n900 router so to allow do HD 3d Blu-ray streaming pc and popcorn

What do you guys think any suggestions/improvements?
heda_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertising
Advertising temporarily disabled
Old 06-12-11, 10:01   #2
kristofb
Premium Potential
Addicted to MPC

Contribution: 0.03%
Default Re: Freenas low power solution, what do you think?

First thing, I like home build nas systems a lot, but if your electricity bill is the main reason, you should look to pre-build nas systems like Synology, Qnap, Thecus, ...

That being said, some other things to think about:

- Why limit yourself now to a small case / build? You are already at your max. capacity when it's finished.

- 6 X 2TB + 1 SSD (and 1 usb drive): I don't see any mentioning of an extra controller card? Forgot something, or did I misread that somehow? For the USB drive: I'm assuming this is to put your FreeNas installation on. Not sure if you know, but there are some nice 'plugs' that go directly onto your on-board usb ports to create an external port inside your case. Keeps things nice and clean.

- Have you compared FreeNas with OpenSolaris + Nappit? I can't find the comparison I followed a few months back right now, but it made me change my mind from using FreeNas to OpenSolaris.

- ZFS: Don't know about the non-raid figures, but keep in mind that ZFS is big on RAM memory, and 4GB max is not a lot...
Also: Why ZFS? ZFS was intented to be used as a secure filesystem to be able to 'self-heal' dataproblems, for which it needs RaiD-Z(x). Unless you simply want to see al your hard drives as 1 big storage device, then I understand your decision somewhat

Hope this is somewhat constructive to you.
kristofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 18:38   #3
heda_p
Premium Potential
Almost Active

some very good idea's thx...let me put my perspective...

Originally Posted by kristofb View Post
First thing, I like home build nas systems a lot, but if your electricity bill is the main reason, you should look to pre-build nas systems like Synology, Qnap, Thecus, ...
1. I have had thecus N3200 and I hated that because of lots of restrictions,
2. Also 7 bay nas is gonna cost me a lot as well compared to below config
3. I am assuming electricity bill will be very low (it crossed $250 one month)
4. I am a windows advance user had some exp with openfiler, freenas seems simple and stable

[QUOTE=That being said, some other things to think about:

- Why limit yourself now to a small case / build? You are already at your max. capacity when it's finished.

- 6 X 2TB + 1 SSD (and 1 usb drive): I don't see any mentioning of an extra controller card? Forgot something, or did I misread that somehow? For the USB drive: I'm assuming this is to put your FreeNas installation on. Not sure if you know, but there are some nice 'plugs' that go directly onto your on-board usb ports to create an external port inside your case. Keeps things nice and clean.[/QUOTE]

12TB is enought for my needs, and if needed I could use esata to connect to my sans digital enclosures which support 10 drives (and thats where that 1 pci port will be used)

Small box will be help when I am moving back to India, I am planning to sell rest of my computer stuff then

You are right i didn't knew about plugs, i was assuming i could plug normal usb in motherboard, will look into those plugs

[QUOTE=- Have you compared FreeNas with OpenSolaris + Nappit? I can't find the comparison I followed a few months back right now, but it made me change my mind from using FreeNas to OpenSolaris.[/QUOTE]

No I have tried windows 2008 R2 to be used a file server, WHS 2011, win 7 but none of unix style, and though windows is easy, there are always issue with access sometimes, I need stable nas, once its built i am not gonna touch it to change for any os upgrades or drivers (i will only and only do the job of NAS and ISCSI)

[QUOTE=- ZFS: Don't know about the non-raid figures, but keep in mind that ZFS is big on RAM memory, and 4GB max is not a lot...
Also: Why ZFS? ZFS was intented to be used as a secure filesystem to be able to 'self-heal' dataproblems, for which it needs RaiD-Z(x). Unless you simply want to see al your hard drives as 1 big storage device, then I understand your decision somewhat [/QUOTE]

Agree, will not be using any healing capacity, i could use UFS as well, just though ZFS is better than UFS??

[QUOTE=Hope this is somewhat constructive to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts
Old 07-12-11, 18:44   #4
siamsquare

Contribution: 0.16%

Yo,

I'm currently testing Solaris 11 + napp-it and am very happy about speeds compared to lets say Unraid. Also will be testing Freenas + zfs.
If I were you I'd go for a RaidZ1 solution as the idea of a NAS is redundancy. If you have 6x 2TB drives you can use 5 for data and loose 1 for parity! That's what I like about ZFS compared to raid-5 which takes 33%!
I know ZFS is the way to go...if you want a decent speed and don't want to invest in a very expensive hardware raid card. My write speeds are around 115MB/s so that's not bad copying files between systems!

gr33tz
Dune Base 3D - Popcorn A-400 - Samsung UE55C7800 - Epson TW-9000 - Beamax 106" Electric Screen - Onkyo TX-NR3008 - Focal 7.2 - Klipsch RC-64 II Center - SVS PB13 Ultra - SERVER:48TB Norco 4224 - Intel Xeon E-1230 - 16GB DDR3 1333mhz - Supermicro X9SCM-F - 3x flashed IBM M1015 Serveraid sata3 - running Open Indiana ZFS + Napp-it - Unraid -ESXi

siamsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 00:44   #5
jrosado
tech freak

Contribution: 0.11%

Instead of the atom plataform, i would suggest the AMD E-350 ou AMD E-450 plattaform. You can put 8GB of RAM (some board even allow for 16GB of RAM) and keep the power consume low!

Regards.
jrosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 03:47   #6
heda_p
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Speed is pretty good, I will be happy with 90+ GB consistently and thats why dont want to use RAID....RAID's are risky cause if something bad happens you end up losing everything and I cant afford that, thus will keep all drives as separate and take full sync to external enclosure...

And with RAIDz1 4MB ram is limited i guess and this mobo doesn't support more than that...

is there any other mobo combo which has 6+ sata ports + 1 sata ports with port multiplier (ITX or may be Micro)

As I am using it only for NAS and ISCSI seems freenas is stable for that thus do the job, stability and consistent behaviour is what I am looking for (I hate windows authentication, it just dont work sometimes)

Originally Posted by siamsquare View Post
Yo,

I'm currently testing Solaris 11 + napp-it and am very happy about speeds compared to lets say Unraid. Also will be testing Freenas + zfs.
If I were you I'd go for a RaidZ1 solution as the idea of a NAS is redundancy. If you have 6x 2TB drives you can use 5 for data and loose 1 for parity! That's what I like about ZFS compared to raid-5 which takes 33%!
I know ZFS is the way to go...if you want a decent speed and don't want to invest in a very expensive hardware raid card. My write speeds are around 115MB/s so that's not bad copying files between systems!

gr33tz
Old 08-12-11, 20:39   #7
heda_p
Premium Potential
Almost Active

it seems rocketraid RR622 sata port multiplier functionality is not supported by freenas, can someone confirm, it kills all my plans to use sans digital for backup....
Old 08-12-11, 21:24   #8
siamsquare

Contribution: 0.16%

Originally Posted by heda_p View Post
it seems rocketraid RR622 sata port multiplier functionality is not supported by freenas, can someone confirm, it kills all my plans to use sans digital for backup....
Just get a cheap IBM M1015 from ebay, alot of people buy these and reflash them with LSI firmware

IBM M1015 : 2x4 ports 6GB/s, PCI-e 2.0, x8

I have 3 of these in my server, reflashed with IT firmware, supported by ZFS and FreeBSD (freenas)
Dune Base 3D - Popcorn A-400 - Samsung UE55C7800 - Epson TW-9000 - Beamax 106" Electric Screen - Onkyo TX-NR3008 - Focal 7.2 - Klipsch RC-64 II Center - SVS PB13 Ultra - SERVER:48TB Norco 4224 - Intel Xeon E-1230 - 16GB DDR3 1333mhz - Supermicro X9SCM-F - 3x flashed IBM M1015 Serveraid sata3 - running Open Indiana ZFS + Napp-it - Unraid -ESXi

siamsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 22:09   #9
a5ian300zx

Contribution: 0.38%

Hi,

I did what you wanted to do but i was planning on building and HTPC/6 bay nas in one but the onboard GPU (tried a few) was not powerful enough and my main aim was for silent and low power system.

This is what I could do with hardware if i was looking to making into Nas function (for me streaming media to my media players).

Lian Li PC-Q08 - you can install 7 drives (using a hotswap bay in the front) + SSD drive for boot - it has vibraion dampers on HDD cage.
Asrock H67 motherboard
Intel 2500T quadcore 45w TDP (you can go for 2100T 35w TDP)
Seasonic Passive 460w modular PSU (90% efficiency)
M4 Crucial 64gb SSD drive for Boot (windows 7)
7 x 2TB Samsung F4 (raid 5)
Areca 1220 8 port raid controller card (hardware based raid with advance features like raid migration, expansion, battery backup, web based monitoring etc..)
4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 ECO Series (7-7-7-21, 1.35V) Dual Channel kit - tight timings and very low power

Nas software: Allegro NFS software or Hanewin NFS (i use Allegro)

now what i have done with mine is moved the Nas function to my main PC and have a 8 bay hotswap bays connected to the areca raid card which has 5 x 2tb Samsung installed in raid 5 using Allegro to stream accross the network, now i have tried very high bitrate demos and all stream perfectly.

let me know if you want me to test any media,

transfer rate copying a 4gb file from my c:\ (intel G2 x2 in raid 0) to my raid 5 drives - i can hit burst speeds on 350MB/s but average is over 100MB/s + if i can remember.

again let me know if you would like me to test anything or would like a graph from HD tacho or crystal marks?

a5ian300zx
a5ian300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 03:58   #10
heda_p
Premium Potential
Almost Active

Great some great ideas, though I realise there are compromise needed to keep good ventilation and using non combo CPU generates extra heat...

i just found Li PC has new model Q25 thus I am all set to to buy this one oe the one which has 6 bays + power supply (200W is enough)

http://www.techspot.com/review/446-l...q25/page1.html

I am looking to have a dead stable system serving only NAS and ISCSI thus not trying to build third machine as windows as well....

also just need a combo which does basic job prefrectly, e350/mobo ITX combo looks like a good idea, does any e350 ITX board has 6 or 7 Sata?

Also I am planning to put 6 drives minimum and if possible 7, thus to avoid heat there will be no external cards or something (except one to connect to sans digital toqwerraid)

Idea is to keep component which needs minimum cooling and can server 6 HD for long term with 24/7 usage and minimum power usage as well

I am okay loosing all HD content play function from this setup but need HDMI as both my TV accept only HDMI(have 2 other super comps for that)

also RAID has its risks thus will use external enclosure for complete backup and no raid at all for nas

Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Hi,

I did what you wanted to do but i was planning on building and HTPC/6 bay nas in one but the onboard GPU (tried a few) was not powerful enough and my main aim was for silent and low power system.

This is what I could do with hardware if i was looking to making into Nas function (for me streaming media to my media players).

Lian Li PC-Q08 - you can install 7 drives (using a hotswap bay in the front) + SSD drive for boot - it has vibraion dampers on HDD cage.
Asrock H67 motherboard
Intel 2500T quadcore 45w TDP (you can go for 2100T 35w TDP)
Seasonic Passive 460w modular PSU (90% efficiency)
M4 Crucial 64gb SSD drive for Boot (windows 7)
7 x 2TB Samsung F4 (raid 5)
Areca 1220 8 port raid controller card (hardware based raid with advance features like raid migration, expansion, battery backup, web based monitoring etc..)
4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 ECO Series (7-7-7-21, 1.35V) Dual Channel kit - tight timings and very low power

Nas software: Allegro NFS software or Hanewin NFS (i use Allegro)

now what i have done with mine is moved the Nas function to my main PC and have a 8 bay hotswap bays connected to the areca raid card which has 5 x 2tb Samsung installed in raid 5 using Allegro to stream accross the network, now i have tried very high bitrate demos and all stream perfectly.

let me know if you want me to test any media,

transfer rate copying a 4gb file from my c:\ (intel G2 x2 in raid 0) to my raid 5 drives - i can hit burst speeds on 350MB/s but average is over 100MB/s + if i can remember.

again let me know if you would like me to test anything or would like a graph from HD tacho or crystal marks?

a5ian300zx