I'm currently developing an Android application, TviMote, to replace the web interface to the TViX Slim S1.
The primary goals of the Android app is to:
- Increase speed of browsing.
- Allow browsing while TViX is playing.
- Allow browsing while TViX is unavailable.
- Be robust towards network issues: TViX unavailable should not interfere with browsing experience, user should be notified discreetly about network issues, except when it is critical to current operation (caching of folder structures and thumbnails).
The app is restricted to playing music.
I now have an app where the user is able to:
- Configure a TViX by entering ip adress or network host name
- Scan the /Music folder of the TViX, caching all folder/file information on the SD card.
- Retrieve thumbnails for folders that contain a folder.jpg file and store them on the SD card.
- Browse the folder structure.
- Command the TViX to play a file.
The application is available on Android version 2.2.x and higher and requires the latest firmware on the S1. I might be able to make the app for earlier Android versions if requested.
Obviously, I'm capable on testing on my own setup only, and I would like to get other people to test the application. So, if you would like a taste of this app before it gets to the Play Store (where it will be free, by the way) then please reply to this post.
Primarily, I'm looking for (patient) people who can test the app against their TViX. Also, tests on different Android devices are desired. I'm currently testing on HTC Desire and Acer Iconia a510.
Secondarily, I'm looking for people who can tell me about their setup (does anyone use other file types than .jpg for thumbnails, etc.)
The following features will be added to the app in later versions (after test and first release):
- Favourites. The user may add folders and files to a favourites view, making browsing even snappier.
- Search: The user may fulltext search in all folders
- Tablet support: Bigger screens to show main browsing view, favourites and search view at the same time.
- Basic functions for TViX control: Mute, pause, stop, resume.
- Show currently playing file and remaining time.
Other possible features:
- Playlist/shuffle: These will require constant network connection with the TViX to work and it is uncertain if it is at all possible to implement.
Known current issues:
- Cannot retrieve thumbnails for folders containing certain characters.
- Unstable if SD card is removed
If you're interested, please reply to this post. Also, if you know of any other place to spread the word about this app, feel free to do so. I will probably distribute the app through a website, depending on the amount of interest in this app.
A couple of screendumps from the app: